Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 9 Freezing

by Meredith1952 / March 23, 2011 9:25 AM PDT

System Info:
New Dell Inspiron 5805 computer only 6 months old.
i5 CPU 3.20 GHz
8GB RAM; 64-Bit Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium; Service Pack 1

Situation: Two days ago I installed internet explorer 9 on my computer. The installation went fine. There were no problems. The next day, while surfing the internet, internet explorer froze. I could not move the mouse, escape, or ctrl+alt+delete. The only way out of it was to unplug my computer (which I hate to do). Once the the computer restarted, I got on the internet again. After a little while my screen went black then after a few seconds came back with a little discoloration that went away after a few more seconds and my screen was normal again. There was a notice on the bottom of my screen that said my AMD Display Driver was not responding but has "successfully" recovered. Since then, the freezing or blacking out had occured five more times.
Questions:
1. What's happening with IE9 and my Display Driver?
2. What should I do? Do I need to change my display driver or IE9?
3. I have been a long-time IE user; if it is necessary for me to change browsers, what is your honest reccommendation?

Thank you so much! I appreciate you thoughts, opinions, and time.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 9 Freezing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 9 Freezing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE9
by pgc3 / March 24, 2011 12:46 AM PDT

You aren't the only one who has had issues with IE9. The issues I had were not quite as bad as what you have described but close. I went in and deleted IE9 it automatically rolled back to IE8 and all was well. There are a couple of blogs regarding this, Google IE9 problems and you should find the resolution, which is what I did. Best of luck!!!

Collapse -
Protected mode
by Paulf7122 / January 9, 2013 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: IE9

I have been dealing with the issue of Internet Explorer 9 crashing whenever I click on a link for about 2 weeks. I have disabled all add-ons, I have cleared out my temp files, I have un-installed silverlight and re-installed it. I have un-installed IE9 and tried usine IE8, and nothing worked. The only solution I could find up to today was Google Chrome. It worked fine. I have been getting used to it and was ready to dump IE forever. But every once in a while I would still check to see if it still hangs. Today I noticed when I checked it that it was in protected mode. I couldn't click on a link without it freezing. I turned it off (having to use the Task Manager to do it) turned it back on, and went to the settings before clicking on any link. I turned off protected mode, restarted the browser, and lo and behold, I could go anywhere with blazing speed. I may even try to re-install IE9 and see if the problem is taken care of there. By the way, I also run Kaspersky's Internet security suite, so I don't feel like I am not protected. In my opinion, Microsoft is responsible for fixing this problem. I have found dozens of sites where people are trying to fix this problem, unsuccessfully.

Collapse -
Hard shutdown.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 24, 2011 6:51 AM PDT

May I suggest that you never just 'pull the plug'. It might cause damage to the OS.

But what you can do is what is called a "Hard Shutdown". When your system freezes, find the power-on switch on the computer, the one you normally press to begin loading Windows, then press and hold down until the screen goes black. Even that is not recommended as a way to normally shutdown, but it works for complete lock ups.

Back to your questions, in reverse order;

3] It is always a good idea to have another browser, just in case you 'most used' one fails. There are plenty, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, and many others. They are all good, but the final choice is yours. You can have as many browsers installed as you wish, the OS doesn't mind at all. In fact, you can have multiple browsers open at the same time, with no effect.

2] What should you do? Nothing at this time. Windows 7 has recovered and that's good.

1] Were you watching videos at the time? If so, there is a known fault with Adobe's Flash Player plugin that can affect some systems. Visit this page http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and if the animation works K, then right click the area of the animation window and select Settings. Disable the option "Enable hardware acceleration". See if that solves the problems.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
PC kept freezing after IE9 64 bit
by CvineeT / May 1, 2011 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard shutdown.

I had the same freezing situation after I installed IE9, all that i could do was to reset the PC as ctrl+alt+del won't work. I uninstalled IE9 and now my PC runs good.

Collapse -
Options
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 5:08 AM PDT

When did IE9, any particular web sites?

Try looking at the IE Add-ons. Some may not work properly with IE9.

If the problem was with Flash videos, try removing the option to "Enable hardware acceleration".

Mark

Collapse -
PC would not run my computer couldn't see other drives
by gkearnes / May 6, 2011 8:02 PM PDT

IE9 64 bit made my computer unable to read other drives or access my files I had it on my two main desktops and the problem was the same both 64 and 32 bit Windows 7 machines on HP the other Gateway I returned to IE8 and solved the problem my many friends have encountered the same problem to bad Microsoft didn't test this more before releasing.

Collapse -
I would use
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 6, 2011 8:44 PM PDT

the IE9 32 bit version, even on a 64 bit version OS.

Mark

Collapse -
Technique to fix a frozen IE9
by hrothgarJenson / October 2, 2011 1:08 PM PDT

When IE9 freezes for me, I (hit window + L) to log off, then hit (switch user), then log back in. That allows me to regain control over my mouse and desktop, at which point IE9 works marginally. I shut down all IE9 windows and then reopen IE9. If I want, I click (reopen last session) and I can recover the most important window with all its tabs. This works in the short term, but I haven't found a solution to stop it from happening in the first place.

Collapse -
IE9
by gudguy1 / January 14, 2012 6:21 AM PST

Thanks for this post - I might be uninstalling IE 9 as well...

Collapse -
Internet Explorer 9 Freeze Lockup Artifact FIX
by kwilsonjr / November 30, 2011 7:09 AM PST

Tools>Internet Options, Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party extensions". Save your changes. Close ALL open browser windows. Restart your browser.
This solved my problem immediately. Hope it works for you. Can't hurt to try right?

Collapse -
Third party extensions?
by gudguy1 / January 14, 2012 6:26 AM PST

Hmmmm, worth a shot at this point.

Collapse -
IE 9 lockup on Win 7 64 bit
by phatfield5 / July 12, 2012 5:07 PM PDT

So far disabling third-part extensions is working for me. Thanks for your help. I have been fighting this for days.

Collapse -
This certainly helped
by san_gomes / November 12, 2012 8:51 PM PST

This certainly helped me. IE used to hang when trying to open up a document or other files on the sites. Disabling it solved my problem.
Thanks buddy for posting the solution.

Collapse -
change browser
by HernandezDK / December 3, 2011 8:00 AM PST

Really recommend Firefox or Chrome. IE is lacking in the browser area.

Collapse -
I've seen this issue in Firefox and Chrome also...
by mpedigo1 / August 24, 2012 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: change browser

I personally believe it was something Microsoft pushed out patch wise on July Patch Tuesday because I just started having issues about then. I chalked it up to hardware even though I was only really seeing the issue when utilizing browsers (and I tried all 3).

Just bought a brand new Dell and seeing the same issue after fully patching the beast at least with IE9.....

Have to love MS....hopefully this gets bumped soon.

Collapse -
Going to cnet freezes my pc
by WHATTODOIF / December 15, 2012 2:25 AM PST

Going to cnet freezes my pc.

Collapse -
Removing Accelerators did the trick for me.
by wrath_of_enzo / January 28, 2013 2:24 PM PST

In Manage Add-Ons I removed the Accelerators and restarted IE9. That did the trick for me.

Collapse -
No such thing
by WHATTODOIF / January 29, 2013 8:55 AM PST

I mean FF browser. No such thing as Accelerators. I opened IE and there is also no such thing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.