Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 8 slowness

by pmyvet / May 21, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

Does anyone else seem to have a problem with IE8 openning new tabs extremely slowly. And is there anything I can do to correct this issue??

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 8 slowness
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 8 slowness
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At first I had the similar thing happening on one laptop.
by tcantrelln / May 21, 2009 8:59 AM PDT

then uninstalled all the way back to six (on an Inspiron 1720-xp MCE) cleaned up updates, patches, etc, then reinstalled skipping Seven. It was ok for weeks and has now started to do it again. I read about the hosts affecting it, so I renamed the hosts file and have tried that for a few days with no significant improvement. I also have an aged NCS laptop that eight runs fine on, never a hiccup, just slick and quick. I'm about to kick IE8 to the curb for good as the last three days when I click the 'Back' button I might as well have hit my thumb with a hammer. Occasionally IE8 will go back with one click, usually it takes three after waiting to see the first did nothing at all. Sometimes it just closes. I'm going to try the uninstall back to six again, one more time, then "Bye, Bye" Eight! If you can, try going back all the way to six like I did then repair / update it then install eight again.

Collapse -
One day later and I'm done with IE8.
by tcantrelln / May 22, 2009 1:30 AM PDT

At least on this laptop. (have I said I'm running XP-MCE on an Inspiron 1720?) The slow tabs and the almost complete inability of the 'Back' Button to actually go back finally stacked up enough. I had a weeks old Ghost of the C partition, way before I started trying IE8. Overwrote C, caught up all the updates and patches again and as far as I'm concerned IE8 can stay in the same dumper as IE7. Firefox works better and better, just about all the time.

Collapse -
Slow Tabs
by sirpaul1 / May 29, 2009 6:32 PM PDT

If you're using AVG antivir, turn off "immunization"

Collapse -
IE8 Slowness
by Emma / May 30, 2009 3:08 AM PDT

I found this on an earlier post. If you have used Spybot S&D or SpywareBlaster and used their immunize feature you may have tens of thousands of restricted sites. These slow-down IE8. Find and download the file DelDomains.inf to remove them. Use Add/Remove Programs to remove IE8, run DelDomains.inf, then reinstall IE8. It worked great for me. Good luck.

Collapse -
IE 8
by Gardenia Gal / May 30, 2009 4:14 AM PDT

One day of pure aggravation did it for me. It was time slowed down & syrup was poured in my computer. I deleted immediatedly & checked "do not show this option again."

Collapse -
ie8
by udirtrat / May 31, 2009 1:16 PM PDT

when i had big pong oops pond for my provider i loaded ix7. then the trouble started. when i went to bigpond for an answer they said they did not support ix7 and to go back to six and the problems would be resolved. and they were. i tried 7 twice more over time and same. i wouldnt touch 8 on a dare. ix6 is still working fine and no probs ever. so there. to get rid of 8 ive heard isnt necessarily ez. if you can get back to 7 do what i did. i uninstalled it and voila ,,,,six was back and i havent had a prob since. have fun

Collapse -
Just a note.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 31, 2009 7:52 PM PDT
In reply to: ie8

If BigPond is your Internet Service Provider, then they would not be interested in which browser you use, so using either IE6 or IE7 makes no difference to them.

All they supply is your internet connection to the computer. How you use that connection, eg whether using IE6, IE7, IE8, Firefox, or any other type of browser, is immaterial.

That does not mean to say BigPond doesn't have problems with IE7 and above. It may be that their 'Home Page' does not yet support anything above IE6, but that is something they need to sort out.

If you had problems with IE7, then the problems are likely with your computer, and not with the ISP.

Mark

Collapse -
IE 8 slowness
by earthstar-uk66 / June 3, 2009 1:22 PM PDT

Hi
I think i may have an answer for you, none of the guys in the previous posts mentioned it. There is a feature in IE8 that is for added security it is a bit of a pain at first but you get to remember the more often you use your browser.
In the browser where the refresh and stop(Esc) buttons are located when trying to connect to a website for the first time another button appears right next to refresh, this is a compatability button, click this button then a message bubble will open in the tab thet is trying to connect to the site you want to view , just click on the bubble to acknowledge the fact the it should connect, doesn't take as long to do as explain. IE stores info and doesn't ask about that website when you try to access it again.
Plus there is also an "InPrivate" button which acts as a cloaker so your internet actions and movements can't be tracked by the bad guys. Just have a bit of a read through IE8 manual to find out instructions on that. You may find you actually enjoy the IE8 experience.....? Maybe.
Goodluck,
Andrea

Collapse -
About your problem with IE 8
by crazydragon55 / June 4, 2009 3:24 AM PDT

Try using this program Advanced system care it will clean up all your problems and you can download it free or buy it,Tried and tested.

~Crazy Dragon~

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.