Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 8 keeps crashing / freezing

by kermitduke / February 16, 2010 12:04 AM PST

Sometimes it won't start in the first place - when I go to Windows Task Manager it states NOT RESPONDING and I have to end task (which often doesn't work immediately).

Other times it can work fine then just freezes and won't do anything.

When I have chosen to end task (using Task Manager) I have sometimes had messages saying things aren't responding. These flick up then disappear very quickly. Two that I've managed to read are DDEserver and ccSvcHst.

This hasn't starting happening in conjuction with anything else I've done with the PC.

Any clues?? (from a not very technical person!!!)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 8 keeps crashing / freezing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 8 keeps crashing / freezing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What have you done
by Jimmy Greystone / February 16, 2010 12:30 AM PST

What have you done in regards to malware prevention and cleanup?

Collapse -
What I've done already
by kermitduke / February 16, 2010 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: What have you done

I have Norton installed and upto date. I have run spybot and adaware. I have also run scan disk and defrag.

I thought it may be that my computer was running out of memory space - I have checked the c drive and it lists that just over half the memory is used.

Collapse -
BHOs and other Toolbars can do this
by Steven Haninger / February 16, 2010 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: What I've done already

Look up and run Trend Micro's HijackThis and remove what shows as a BHO. Also, set your cache to empty after closing the program using Internet Options.

Collapse -
by kermitduke / February 16, 2010 6:04 AM PST

Ok, I'll try that. Can you tell me what BHO is please? (don't like doing things when I don't understand!!)

Collapse -
Browser Helper Object
by Steven Haninger / February 16, 2010 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
IE8 freezes
by fredbergh / February 20, 2010 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: What have you done

I had the same problem and tried several cures. None worked. I went back to IE7 and everything appears to be normal again. You can try Firefox or something else. They did not work for me.

Collapse -
Internet Explorer 8 keeps crashing / freezing
by Kanga bill / February 19, 2010 9:32 AM PST

Simple answer; don't use internet explorer it is marked by Secunia PSI as NOT SECURE! Instead go to; and download Mozilla Firefox 3.6, install it and set as your default browser. You will not have all the problems associated with internet explorer. Also download and install the FREE Secunia PSI from; this warns you if any of your installed software is Up-To-Date, as there are currently a lot of vulnerabilities in various Adobe and other products.

Collapse -
IE 8 freezing
by stan0515 / February 19, 2010 12:44 PM PST

Use a different browser! I'm not being nasty or smart-alecky. I have two browsers installed -- Firefox and Opera. I run Vista, and I tried using the Internet Explorer that came with Vista, but it was so cumbersome, and klutzy and overall difficult to use when compared to my other two. If a site absolutely MUST have IE, THEN I fire it up, but as a rule there isn't anything that my two favorites, especially Firefox cannot handle.

I truly do believe that you might be better off with a second browser installed on your machine. My own personal suggestion is Firefox.

Collapse -
Regarding IE 8 freezing
by Gigabytin / February 20, 2010 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: IE 8 freezing

In agreement with Stan. Install another browser and Firefox is it. You won't have anymore problems with freezeup with Firefox.

Collapse -
Firefox is faster
by kenny555 / February 23, 2010 3:05 AM PST

I agree, Firefox hardly ever crashes, loads pages alot faster, and has loads of add ons.

Collapse -
by john3347 / February 19, 2010 1:54 PM PST

I have experienced approximately the same problems as kermitduke with IE8. In one instance I upgraded from IE7 to IE8 and fixed the problem by rolling back to IE7. In another instance, I have Windows 7 which leaves one stuck with IE8 and no immediate solution. Hopefully Microsoft will get the "half-baked" IE8 fully cooked and functioning before the next "half-baked" item comes along to replace it. (In my experience, Firefox has more problems, tho mostly different problems, than IE7 or IE8 and therefore is most certainly NOT a suitable replacement.) IE8 is just put on the street before it is street ready and that is the long and short of it.

Collapse -
explorer 8 4 xp
by davidortega90 / February 21, 2010 2:54 AM PST

have u thought about maybe switching to firefox it way better and doesnt really crash as often or perhaps trying google chrome

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.