Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer 6.0 Corrupted wont work

by jcentron / April 8, 2006 12:56 PM PDT

I have XP home addition 736 mb , suddenly internet explorer is not working properly,when i try to download anything using IE 6 i get a flash of file download box and then it disappears, or if it actually goes through the motions of showing me the download box and i save it to a certain location , in the final few seconds it goes and where i have saved it to is empty, nothing there, I have deleted every thing out of The temp internet files and cookies , but nothing has worked . I cant even download updates from the microsft site If any one can help i would be gratefull Thanks guys Christine

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer 6.0 Corrupted wont work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer 6.0 Corrupted wont work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Christine
by tomron / April 8, 2006 1:42 PM PDT

You might need to reinstall,but first did you do any scans?

With spybot,ad-aware,ewido,and so on

Maybe switch to firefox

Tom

Collapse -
FIREFOX
by Robert999 / April 8, 2006 4:00 PM PDT

I had a corrupted IE6 and deleted it 2 times and it
came back corrupted. I tried FIREFOX had to get
use to it but it works fine except for the fonts

Collapse -
Iefix
by phantazy / April 8, 2006 4:15 PM PDT
In reply to: FIREFOX
Collapse -
FireFox Rocks
by lucasonline / April 11, 2006 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: FIREFOX

Mozilla FireFox is simply the best browser.

Since I switched to FireFox, I haven't looked back once.

Then IE7 Beta came out....tried it....and dumped it.

The browsing technology of FireFox is 5 years ahead of what Bill is trying to do with IE.

Experience the true power of browsing....experience FireFox.

Collapse -
I Think Tomron is Near the Key. Numerous Trojans/Adware/ etc
by tobeach / April 8, 2006 4:29 PM PDT

will attack download manager as part of preventing you from downloading & installing programs that would allow you to remove them. Has your Home Page changed(hijacker)?
You say XP Home, I can assume SP2? If so....
1) You used to be able to do a repair of IE from the Add/Delete programs in Control Panel. Go as if to un-install then you'd get a pop-up box asking if you want to repair or un-install. You could try "repair".
Alternately you could try a CheckDisk & Repair of all system files. Instructions at bottom.
I assume a System Restore Point back to before hasn't worked?
I would suggest an online AV scan but if not using Sun Micros Java,using native MS, then Housecalls would try to do active-X version which has to "Download an install" (no go).
If you have Sun Java then going to Mozilla or Firefox will be easy & save you alot of grief in future. I beleive you would still need IE for MS's update site.
If you do have Sun Java running then you could run Housecalls scan here:
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php
If AV up to date & shows clean and other anti-spy show clean then you could try Check disk:

Disk/repair (Check Disk) (like SFC)
Left click on My Computer(open)
Right click on "C" or your OS drive if another letter.
Left click Properties and then click Tools Tab.
Left click on "Error Checking"> Check Now.
Left click to enter check mark in BOTH boxes offered.
Left click on "Start".
Computer will have to reboot to begin repairs.
Just leave alone (you're locked out anyway) 'til process finished.
In regular mode will take about 1 Hour (more/less)
In Safe Mode about 2 hours.
If computer normal after process complete you might want to create a new
restore point and Label it POST ERROR REPAIR.
This is based on using an onboard copy of sys
files if copy is ok.
If copy is corrupted, it may tell you to insert XP or SP2(if patch applied) disk or to indicate location of SP2 info to get new,
clean copy inserted. Good to have disk at hand. Good Luck!! Happy

Collapse -
Reply to Tomron
by jcentron / April 9, 2006 11:06 AM PDT

Sorry wasn't very clear, Yes XP Home SP2,I tried most of the things that you mentioned,For some reason system restore only goes back to early march, I was having problems before this date, I have installed Mozilla Firefox about a week ago, don't really like it but it does download except at the Microsoft site,need IE to download from there,I have tried to install a new version of IE off SP2 disc, But i get an error message that installation can't go ahead because i allready have a newer version of it installed.I am the TWIT who reinstalled SP2 On my computer Without formatting my hard drive (didn't know I had to ) only been using computer about 9 months, Made alot of mistakes,downloaded lots of Crap , had heaps of viruses and spyware, ETC I am using spybot, Ashampoo anti spy ,Webroot.Bit defender,What arnt i using I spend most of my time running scans Thought computing was supposed to be fun,, NOT lately,I am just about to try DISK/repair(check disk),, As for my files , Every thing in the old installation was deleted when i reinstalled SP2, but i dont use new installation , i have no volume and other things in the new install, I have gone back to the old installation , Where most things work , Thanks so much will keep you posted , have a good day Christine

Collapse -
Reply: Tomron
by skwoodsmd / April 19, 2006 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Tomron

Hi if you have Windows XP Home Edition try this by reinstalling EI.

1. Click Start, Run
2. Type C:\Windows\inf
3. In the opened folder, find and select IE file.
4. Right-click and select Install option
5. If you are prompted for Windows XP CD, please redirect the path to C:\Windows\i386 and double click to IEXPLORER file.
6. After the file copy process, please restart the system

Collapse -
Reply to TOBEACH
by jcentron / April 9, 2006 11:15 AM PDT

Hi Tobeach , Message wrongly left for Reply to Tomron was actually left for you Please read Thanks Christine

Collapse -
Reply to Tobeach
by jcentron / April 12, 2006 10:38 AM PDT

Thanks for all your suggestions , have tried them all , but alas its not worked but thankyou for your help Christine

Collapse -
Bite the bullet
by Statchew / April 11, 2006 2:00 AM PDT

Is it possible that you installed SP2 when you had a Viral/Spyware infest? I have read articles that show that this can damage windows and cause real problems.

If system restore isnt working and you cant get it to work then you may have to bite the bullet and reinstall windows. There should be some recovery CD's that came with your PC this is normally a last option becuase your computer would be EXACTLY as it was when you got it all your data,programs,settings would be gone. You would have to reinstall all the updates again. And all your software. If you choose to do this remember to backup all of your data. I do this by going though my start menu and checking each piece of software and seeing if there is any data that i can save from it. Ie firefox bookmarks, my documents etc.

Remember this is only a suggestion but it will work!

Collapse -
No Need
by Themisive / April 11, 2006 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Bite the bullet

To do a full re-install, all you need is to go to Control Panel open Add/Remove Programs and delete SP2 from there.

Next step, log on to the Ewido site and download http://ewido.net/en, load it and update it. Note: log off the 'net now.

Now reboot to Safe Mode, run Ewido (get rid of anything it finds, then for good measure run Spybot and if you have it, Ad-aware. Once those scans have finished, reboot into Windows as normal and run an anti-virus scan.

After all this, re-load SP2 again, you should have got rid of all your problems now.

Collapse -
Reply to No Need
by jcentron / April 12, 2006 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: No Need

You make it sound so easy !!! SP2 is not listed in my Control panel, All i can find in ADD\REMOVE is updates and hot fixes, nothing that actually says SP2 , When i did the reinstall without formatting my hard drive, for some reason all my files in connection to my original windows were deleted,I have tried every thing to uninstall the program , It just will not uninstall, Christine

Collapse -
Reply to Bite the Bullet
by jcentron / April 12, 2006 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Bite the bullet

Yes it is very possible that i had Viral/Spyware infest , In those early days i downloaded a lot of screensavers,and with each one came 10 extra programs and heaps of stuff i knew nothing about and didn't want. That was when every thing stopped working , I reinstalled windows without formatting hard drive (didn't know i had to )Dont know how to?? But after i reinstalled i ended up with two boot sectors Or 2 complete installs, although ,i have no volume in the new one and not every thing works , I went back to the original windows and use it, I am not really sure HOW to back up my documents , The few things i have looked up require floppy disks (dont have FLOPPY drive )I have tried some of the other suggestions , from the forum , but nothing has worked I dont know where to go from here, very confused !!! Christine

Collapse -
.Before You Go to A Reformat......
by tobeach / April 12, 2006 5:48 PM PDT

for which you'll need your XP Install Disk (You have SP1 & many patches as I do & probably the IESP2 patch has been applied. You can check by opening IE and click on help>about) you can back up your stuff to a USB Storage drive( Sandisk or many other brands ) which are quite cheap now (and useful as the devil!) or possibly burn to a CD. Suggest getting USB (512 MB is a good size). You can then right click to "send to:" that drive(it will get it's own letter on the right click menu of your mouse). It will allow you to store anything up to it's approximate size. After reformat you can send stuff back to new OS, and when done, you can keep there for future disaster protection or delete and reuse the space.
Did you try the IE Fix tool in other post above? It used to contain the full IE.dll library. I'm not sure if it still does since the SP2 patch for IE.
Because of the "double install", I suspect a clean reformat is your best bet (to get back lost space & dump any baddies). If you do that you might want to go to SP2 as the immediate 2nd part of the install process. I believe you can still get SP2 Cd by mail from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

It would pay to order and then do format after you have disk in your hand. If you can't access via your IE, perhaps can order via a friends computer. Be sure you have all necessary drivers, key codes etc. before doing reformat.
Best bet may be to have a Pro do it for you. Even I hesitate to do and the XP board is full of reformat problem posts. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Reply to Tobeach
by jcentron / April 13, 2006 2:14 PM PDT

When you say XP install disk,is that the one that you get when you buy your system,mine for example is Acer, or do you mean the actual xp windows? from Microsoft,My IE is Version 6.0_xpsp_Sp2, I have Tried to back up some things to CD , but the option was not there ,It only gave the option to back up to floppy, But i will get a USB , thanks that is a great idea.I downloaded the IE fix, but didn't use it . I didn't really understand what i was doing , and i didn't want to make things worse,Thanks for the link to get SP2 by mail , i will get straight on to that, will keep you posted , have a ggood day Christine

Collapse -
Yes, If You're Lucky, You Should Have a Proper MS XP Disk to
by tobeach / April 13, 2006 5:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Tobeach

install from. Unfortunately, a number of the larger companies have taken to supplying only a Restore Disk which has several custom additions included ( Sometimes late security patches & bug fixes;often spyware/adware/freebie promotions,etc). My HP Laptop came with such. Laptops seem to need more of these "custom adjustments" than desktops.
I don't actually know,(perhaps someone else will hop in) but my sense of it is that since it came pre-installed on your system, for the warranty period at least, MS doesn't give Tech Support unless it's a full retail version. You're expected to get support from the manufacturers tech section(they get discounted bulk price in exchange for MS not having to put in the service time). I suspect this support becomes a pay item the day after the warranty expires.
Just to confirm, you can check your OS (XP) SP level by going to Control Panel>system icon>general tab. (this is separate from your IE SP level(which is SP2 patch applied).
Thanks for posting back. Will check this thread daily over the next little while. Happy

Collapse -
I Beg to Differ
by Themisive / April 13, 2006 11:33 PM PDT

Teobach is perfectly correct, however SP2 IS in the Add/Rebove Programs list, near the bottom, it dows not have a file size as it is a "remove only" addition, also you can turn on all the updates you have received (with the exception being the ones that are not supposed to be removed).

As far as a comple re-install and format is concerned, check your BIOS to make sure your machine will boot from CD - make that the first thing it selects.

Now, put in your CD and reboot, the computer will automatically search for the boot sector on the CD, once it's found it, let it go through loading the first set of files, then it will go to a black screen and ask you if you want to reformat (y/n), choose y, and let it reformat in NTFS. This will shif ALL parasites of whatevr nature from the drive - but it will also shift all pprogrammes and data that remain, so be warned. Let the programme install itself, then near the end it will give you some choices as to what you want, go through these - paying particular attention to the time and date and to the language used - set your own NOT American English.

Once it's on, then it will want a reboot and you can remove the disk and begin to re-load all your programmes. I suggest that if you have 2 disks, you reserve one for the O/S and main programmes, and the other for games and private data.

The first programme I would load is an anti-virus programme - youi won't be able to update until you get a 'net connection, so that should be next, once you have the ISP set up. log on, update your anti-virus system (and firewall) then go to system restore and create a restore point. Update MS to SP2, (I am assuming that the disks you have come with SP1 already on them), at this point download Ad-aware, Spybot S & D, SpywareBlaster and Ewido. Log off the 'net, run the anti-virus again, then reboot into safe mode and then run Ad-aware, Spybot S & D and Ewido, deleting every problem they find.

Now download SP2 and any other updates you need, you should now be back in business - stay away from those spyware sites in future.

Collapse -
Reply to I Beg To Differ
by jcentron / April 14, 2006 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: I Beg to Differ

SP2 may be in your ADD/REMOVE program, But it is NOT in mine all i have in ADD/REMOVE is updates and hot fixes ,I have been through there so many times ,ITS NOT THERE.What is BIOS and how do i find it, I am a NEWBIE when it comes to computers, so there is a lot of things i dont know or really understand . I will try some of your suggestions ,and yes i have learn't my lesson (the hard way) about all those free sites Thanks Christine

Collapse -
Reply to if your lucky
by jcentron / April 14, 2006 12:30 PM PDT

Hi, I have three disks that came with my ACER/ 2 being ACER recovery and 1 system management,will have a look at those , But i have ordered a XPS2 from microsoft ,thanks for the link, Had a look at OS, Its XP home edition SP2 version 2002, I will check out the disks and warranty and get back to you thanks have a good one, Christine

Collapse -
Thanks for Quick Reply.Good, Your Supplied OS Disk(Recovery)
by tobeach / April 14, 2006 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to if your lucky

is new enough that it is the SP2 Version so you don't really need the MS SP2 disk (hey, it's free and can't hurt to have anyway)( a friend may need if he/she reformats an SP1 version). Be aware that there are many, many patches issued since that you'll want or need (available thru Update).
I personally found that recommended updates at the MS site (where it scans and then creates list) often included ones that didn't apply to my OS at all and could only add to the load(example Win XP Pro but when looking more closely noted update was only for Server
2003).Why suggested after scan I can't imagine.
If you reformat, you'll have the equivalent of a "new" computer approaching net for 1st time. Here's a couple of links to tips about doing that. Much you'll already know, but worth the 10 mins time to remind yourself.
1st one suggest read each reply. 2nd is something I posted awhile back but most of the info is still valid ('tho some of the free firewalls have vanished/been bought out).
1)http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=120219&messageID=1363575
2)http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=135363&messageID=1525813
Some other suggestions on page also worth noting.
3) This ones a little long winded from Carnegie-Mellon Univ. & US CERT about 1st time connect protection:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=132242&messageID=1491494
I didn't realize I'd posted so much on this subject!
Let us know how you're doing.G'Luck! Grin

Collapse -
Hi Tobeach,
by jcentron / April 15, 2006 1:29 PM PDT

I have been right through all of the links that yoi have provided, and copied to my desk top for quick referance, very interesting reading. I wish i had known all of this when i first bought my new computer, within 2 weeks of getting it , i was so infected with virus and spyware, mostly downloading screensaversm (i know use Webshots, highly recomend WEBSHOTS ), By the time i did my second install of windows XP, i was a lot more knowledgeable , having really learnt the hard way . I have been through the disks that came with my computer, not really anything there, not that i have found anyway ,will have anoughter look > I have so many anti spy etc on my system > Sygate Firewall >Norton anti virus Paid version >Ashampoo anti spy, PAID version >Spybot search and destroy >Lavasoft adaware personel >Webroot spy sweeper PAID version >Advanced spyware removal TRIAL ver >Free spyware scanner > REmove it pro >I have had and removed ZONE ALARM and KERIO FIREWALL, Both of which Sent my system crashing all the time , I didn't have these programs together , After having and getting rid of Zone Then I put Kerio, (which i absolutely hated and had to get the company support to get rid of Hyjacked my system, Tried 4 differant ADD/REMOVE programs to get rid of , just wouldnt go, And as of yesterday i am trialing Trend Micro and EWIDO , PROBABLY OVERKILL And i always make sure that everything is kept up to date ,I have enabled all up dated in windows etc ,sorry if you were hoping for a quick reply you didn't get it !! Thanks for all your Insight and help will keep you posted Happy Easter Christine

Collapse -
Happy Easter to You Too, Christine. Overkill Is Likely......
by tobeach / April 15, 2006 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Tobeach,

but generally, most names ring well. I think that I would not use "Advanced Spyware Remover". They were previously listed as "rogue" due to false positives but have now been removed from the list. With the other products you have available, probably the one I would do without first, ...but you have already paid so...
Small caution on Ewido: On SOME XP systems, their resident protection part causes hangs, freezes or crashes. These same systems are fine with the rest of the program ( on- call scanner remover) with the background guard disabled. If you don't go for pay, then after (2weeks?) the resident guard is disabled (along with the automatic update function/manual update still available).
This problem seemed more common on XPs which were NOT fully patched to todays level. Otherwise a v.good one.
Where you may run into trouble is with multi-program background resident protections. Of those you mention, they all work fine by themselves , but when several are on guard at once, there can be conflicts as each tries to control the playing field sometimes even identifying other good programs as a problem because their behavior (method of protecting) is often similar to the behavior of bad guys. For example: Spybots anti-hijacking feature behaves just like a hijacker (but one that works for you) in essence it "Hijacks" you FIRST to your chosen home & search pages thereby locking out future potential (bad) hijackers. Norton s system security (in particular) has a problem w/ Spybot 'tho I don't think(??) their "straight" AV program does.Norton is generally known for not playing well with others. Probably best to figure which "resident guard" you prefer and use it exclusively for that purpose with most others "on demand". Myself I have Spybot(Tea timer active except when installing/removing programs) & Adaware Se (note: You must make sure you use use "the exact same start & search pages" for listing in both programs "page locking" functions to avoid conflict(or lock with one and don't enter any in other). Avg AV seems happy to play with any & all. Ewido (on demand scan) my first choice if I get a hint of problem along with a host of others if & when needed. Occasional pass with Blacklight Rootkit Revealer from F-Secure just for peace of mind. Online Housecalls (sun java)scan if suspect AV compromised.
Tip: I keep a copy of "Eicar test virus"(no payload) in" my docs" and check to be sure it shows up on each AV scan thereby confirming AV working OK.
Will keep checking in. Grin

Collapse -
Hi Tobeach
by jcentron / April 16, 2006 10:33 AM PDT

I have discovered alot that you say, over the last few months, A lot of the programs have conflicted with others , but there seems to be a harmony at the moment, I did have AVG anti virus a great program , untill i installed Zone Alarm, and then it stopped working for me so i uninstalled it after i got rid of Zone alarm which sent my system crashing and freezing up, it conflicted with just about everything as did Kerio I then tried to reinstall AVG but it would not reinstall back on my system , It kept saying that there was 2 interuptions and 5 errors and couldn't complete the installation. I would have tried 30 times to get it back on , I tried disabling my other programs and spy ware etc but nothing worked. The test virus you mention "EICAR" Tried to download 3 times yesterday, But Norton Anti virus Kept saving the day, Warning ! Warning! serious threat deleted, so i guess its on the ball, will have to disable all to get it on,On to" Blacklight Rootkit Revealer " Got it the other day Nothing detected. I have become really paranoid running scans all the time especially after surfing the net. You mention Spybot" Tea timer" active what is it ? and how do I get it, I havn't had any conflict with EWIDO Guard and Ashampoo guard although i can't really recommend Ashampoo But paid for it, will use till it expires Some of my free programs work better than the paid ones, Can you recomend a really Good allrounder Firewall/antivirus , have a good one, Christine

Collapse -
Hi, Christine: Re Spybot Tea Timer...You Already Have It ...
by tobeach / April 16, 2006 5:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Tobeach

if you have Spybot 1.4. Spybot has a whole selection of great functions that are hidden in the default install form.
On your S&D opening page> upper left> MODE> change check mark from default to Advanced and reboot the program. You'll now find at the bottom left of the opening page 2 additional categories 1)Tools 2)Settings.
Clicking on the + sign expands and gives you access to a whole new Spybot world! Double click on items listed there to show each item. NOTE: There are some there you probably shouldn't change without much more knowledge (system internals,winsock, opt-out)but many are useful even to beginners. Examples: Start-up(lists items started at each boot with ability to disable/re-enable via check marks with some description of what each is on the right side of screen, you may have to "pull" the the right hand vertical slide icon to the left 1/3rd way to show blank space) then if you highlight any given item you'll see description of same. This where you'll also find ability to change & lock start/search pages(Browser pages)Turn on Tea Timer & bad download blocker(Resident),Lock host file(IE Tweaks) etc.
Amazed yet? There are a few more under Settings but not crucial to alter right now.
As I see it, you're biggest problems probably include: Too much left over stuff in your registry from all the stuff dwnld'd and un-installed with probably even more in your temp files (You NEED CCleaner), some corrupted installs (possibly thanks to Norton)( Same may have been responsible for AVG[competitor]install problem.(Note: AVG allowed Eicar on machine and correctly ID it as Eicar Test Virus and does nothing to prevent or remove as it's a known harmless tool)(take that Norton!), your double OS problem(space & confusion for the machine).
In short, sounds like "Bite the Bullet"(reformat)is necessary to give you best chance for getting right (hate to say it). If all goes well, it'll take a couple of hours or less to do and then you can rebuild. I think trying to clean up sooo much piece meal would take tens of hours at least. In theory, using Acers disk to do reformat/re-install will avoid any problem with MS Key codes requested (which it shouldn't need anyway since there's no major hardware change)
assuming it does in fact give you that option. You said you have done before(which should help).
Your problems with firewalls: Each program you have that needs net access for updates etc. needs to be given permission in firewall settings (in a 2-way 3rd party FW [ex:ZA/Sygate etc.]). The native XP firewall is incoming only so doesn't see/care what calls out. Reduces conflicts, easy to use, BUT if a trojan does get in, you'll get no warning when it calls home to download more bad stuff into your machine. In truth, a 2 way is safer. In a do as I say, not as I do way: I'm using XP native behind a D-link router(which is a hardware firewall v/s software(only 1 of each at any one time allowed). I feel pretty safe behind the combo but 2-way would be better.I have been lucky so far.
Many feel the Sygate is more user friendly. Kerio is fine but you have to know/be comfortable with setting up the "above&below" the line permissions. Probably more than you can deal with although Dawille (c-net poster) has offered detailed instructions and even screen shots of his Kerio set-up.
Part of these problems are due to items purposely left behind at un-install (example: after installing Kerio, it won't fully un-install until it senses an another firewall being installed so as to not leave you completely unprotected at un-install. Good & bad.
Norton also plays this game somewhat (in hopes you'll give up and sign up for another year). I can give link for Norton full removal tool if need be. (Moot if you reformat).
Avg does also have a pay version that includes a firewall (about $50 for**2** year license). Note :Install & config for firewall(any) instructions for it are .PDF Acrobat Reader Files (would need to have before install). I managed to convert to Text Version of same but not very helpful without the screen shots.
My fingers are fried(1 finger typing) your eyes are probably fried & head spinning by now with out really helping your immediate problem.
I would suggest running IE Fix but given other problems(which OS drive would it try to help?), not sure you could get good repair. Might not hurt though.
Once you get a USB storage drive, you can send your original saved (I assume) install Exes for your best programs that you want to keep to it (saves having to download all over again from net:save tons of time).
While you decide what you want to do, I'll leave you with these 2 links: 1st for CCleaner(chose Slim version) and 2nd for list (to print out) to have on hand before install listing what each item is for cleaning). Not uncommon to have up to 50 GB for removal on first pass!
1)http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp

2)http://www.ccleaner.com/help/fileclean.asp
Have a good one. Grin

Collapse -
HI Tobeach, WOW Didn't know that !!
by jcentron / April 17, 2006 10:20 AM PDT

I have had Spybot from the begining and didn't know about that advanced menu, Well back in those early days, i had several programs on my computer, but it wasn't untill i had gotten all those viruses and been infected with all that spyware , that i was told i had to actually run these programs,I was told i needed these things to keep mu computer safe, i was not told i had to run them , I knew absolutely nothing , (DA!! what a twit !!), I have now enabled Tea Timer, it really lets its presance be known. As for CCLeaner , i have had that for about three weeks, i have run it a couple of times ,and gained back 5gigs of hard drive, it certainly got rid of a lot of crap, anoughter one that i got at the same time was Tune up Utilities 2006 anougter good one, link at bottom of this , you can change all of your icons etc and change the look and feel of your computer , The program is a trial version , but one i will buy. I think your right i have to bite the bullet re:format etc. I think that i will waite untill i have the new XPSP2 in my hand also the new storage USB to back up all my programs, theres 2 i have been looking at 1> Western Digital Passport USB drive with 80 GB priced between $122 and $199 .And the other one is WD duel option External hard drive 80 GB high speed USB priced between $ 89 and $ 105 this is the more like ly , doyou know any thing about these two,I found these two in CNET reviews in Drives and burners, let me know what you think? . I did have anoughter look at IE FIX , i must of been confused with some thing else , because when i had anoughter look it wasn't scary at all i did run it but it made no differance, IE still the same. It was worth trying anyway, Thanks for all the links that you have provided they have been very helpfull, I did a print out from the CCleaner site for referance ,although I had the program i didn't have that info. Have a good day Christine http://www.tune-up.com/

Collapse -
tobeach ?
by WOODS-HICK / April 17, 2006 11:13 AM PDT

why CC slim? to save mb? I have full v., what will I lose or gain? CC resides on my QL bar now.

Collapse -
Hi Tobeach RE: USB
by jcentron / April 19, 2006 10:02 AM PDT

I can't see that all my info will fit on 512 MB , I do have lots of Photos and music,and games as well as my programs,I realize that these are bigger than you suggested , But i guess that if i save all my photos etc to disk 512mb should be big enough, and as you say small enough to take with. I didn't even see that Tune up UTilities was shareware , didn't notice that at all, and my system has really slowed down since i installed , would everything go back to normalif i uninstalled it ? I got my hands on Internet Explorer 7 Beta thinking if i installed this it would fix my issues of having a corrupt IE6,, but it wouldnt install said there was files missing that it needed to install properly, so yes i have to do a complete reinstall of XPSP2, but the right way this time with format of hard drive first,I really messed things up when i did the second install, I have install Netscape 8.1 off disk ,am giving it a go to see how it performs .Really didn't like Firefox , when you say block all cookies does that include ones from your trusted sites, thanks for all your help ,have a good day Christine

Collapse -
Re:USB. They Are Available Up To 2 GB But Close to $100.....
by tobeach / April 19, 2006 6:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Tobeach RE: USB

give or take rebates. That is in Canada, in US could be considerable less.
Un-installing Tune-up Utilities should help. A Restore point before install of it would possibly be better yet, unless that would put you too far back into troubles you've cleared since.
I, myself, am using Mozilla Suite V.1.7.12 which also includes e-mail, chat & irc. I don't use any of those but may in future(especially mail instead of Outlook Express) so don't mind having them.
You can, from the start, set up the permissions to Allow /or Allow just Session/or Block by having it ask the 1st time you land on each site (trusted=allow). It will remember your decision for that site and always use same without asking again. You can change previous by removing site from stored list & it will ask again next visit. You can also manually change former decision. Similar controls usable for Images, Block pop-ups, fill in forms, etc. you can also import(migrate) your IE favorites to run in Mozilla.
Note you need to have Sun Java 1.4.xxx or later(1.50) already installed b-4 installing Moz.Save download to "My Docs" so you won't have to download again if an problems appear. Note: Includes it's own download Manager. Here's a couple of links:
Dwnld:http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/index.html
System Requirements (I'm sure you exceed easily):

http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/sysreq.html
There is a conflict with Netscape versions 7 and earlier. No mention of problem w/ Netscape 8.
Note: If you go this route now, un-install CCleaner 'til after you install Moz. Then re-install so CrapCleaner will find the Moz. and include it in it's cleaning options. If you do after re-format, just install CC after you have the rest installed.
Good Luck! Grin

Collapse -
Update:Late Breaking: There's A New & Final Version of Moz..
by tobeach / April 20, 2006 4:06 PM PDT

just released yesterday: 1.7_13 with updated bug fixes & security patches. Note this will be last Mozilla version.OK with Netscape 8 also installed.
They're pushing all to Firefox. Uses same Java 1.4-1.50 as last.
There is also a reversal patch for Active-X MS update for"only" those having compatibility problems since the update. Can't say if this is your case. Meant, initially, for corporate users to allow more time to adjust their software.
Hp has today issued recall of my laptops (cheap Chinese cra*) battery. Fire hazard! calling back 15,000 on top of the 135,000 recalled last year!
You'll find further info on 1st 2 of above subjects on the Update page on AV/Sec forum:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=170715&messageID=1888806
recall notice on same forum under today's NEWS thread.
"Til later. Grin

Collapse -
Reply for Wood Hicks Re: CCleaner.....
by tobeach / April 17, 2006 3:05 PM PDT

Ever since it first came out, CCleaner has the completely Spyware & Adware Free Status (very desirable).
With the current version (127.260), for the first time, the main full download version includes by default the Yahoo Toolbar which is listed as known adware. You can avoid installing the toolbar if you notice and uncheck/ don't check at install. Many would have no idea and those who have used each clean version that came out over long time (like myself) would probably just install without even looking since never a consideration in the past.
The Basic (multi-language version) & Slim version (English only) do not include the toolbar in the download. This also saves 1/3 of the space for basic, and about 2/3 for the slim.Can only be a good thing.
I understand motive for including toolbar and some people might want this, but given the time & effort I & others go to to avoid adware/spyware/privacy breaches etc. on our machines, it behooves me to advise against it. I do credit the designer with continuing to make the toolbar free versions available (THANK YOU!)'tho a little hard to find from the main page if you don't know the others exist. Hope this explains. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.