Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Internet disconnects on a regular basis

by svensson_ / January 2, 2013 3:17 AM PST

We recently got a new router and modem and have between 3-5 devices connected to it at all times (all wireless). My laptop, running Windows 7, has been experiencing problems with staying connected to the internet. Sometimes within 10 minutes the internet is lost twice. It automatically reconnects after a couple minutes and it's smooth sailing from thereon out. Then it could be a couple of hours later before it disconnects again. There doesn't seem to be a clear pattern as to when it shuts off connection. I've updated the drivers, tried to remove as much as I could from the start up programmes as well as the services, though I am not sure how to check if there are software conflicts. I've used CCleaner to clean up as much as I can, including the registry. I have tried Belarc for the first time to try and look into problems, but am not well versed in it. The programmes that I know of that remain connected to the internet while my laptop is on include AVG, Firefox/Chrome, Skype, Windows Firewall. I am not sure what other kind of info I can provide, but could post running programmes or anything else you would suggest. Could it be the other devices preventing me? Channels on router?
The internet shut off twice while I wrote this, so it is quite infuriating.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet disconnects on a regular basis
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet disconnects on a regular basis
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My new router did that too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 3:20 AM PST

But since I can't find the router and all the details I can only share that a little research found my new router had a problem. Fortunately the research found a workaround so it was not returned.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by svensson_ / January 2, 2013 6:43 AM PST

I'm not sure what exactly you mean.
My laptop is a HP G62 and the router is a Netgear WNDR3700 Version 3 and Modem is Motorola ATT3360. The 2.4GHz has Channel "Auto" and 5GHz has Channel 33.

These are the programs running:
Image Name
=========================
System Idle Process
System
smss.exe
csrss.exe
wininit.exe
csrss.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
lsm.exe
winlogon.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
AERTSr64.exe
avgwdsvc.exe
cronsvc.exe
HPDrvMntSvc.exe
taskhost.exe
HPWMISVC.exe
explorer.exe
dwm.exe
svchost.exe
taskeng.exe
WLIDSVC.EXE
Core Temp.exe
WLIDSVCM.EXE
SearchIndexer.exe
RtkNGUI64.exe
Workrave.exe
concentr.exe
avgtray.exe
wfcrun32.exe
HPHC_Service.exe
RtVOsdService.exe
RtVOsd.exe
svchost.exe
wmpnetwk.exe
MOM.exe
CCC.exe
notepad.exe
svchost.exe
Skype.exe
notepad.exe
firefox.exe
notepad.exe
mmc.exe
plugin-container.exe
googletalkplugin.exe
WmiPrvSE.exe
plugin-container.exe
FlashPlayerPlugin_11_5_50
FlashPlayerPlugin_11_5_50
taskmgr.exe
cmd.exe
conhost.exe
audiodg.exe
cmd.exe
conhost.exe
tasklist.exe
WmiPrvSE.exe

Collapse -
Netgear WNDR3700 = SMALL WORLD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

My Netgear WNDR3800 had the issues you noted and is much better now that I went back a version on the firmware. VERSION 3 seems to be the hardware version and not the firmware version.

The reports were at first iPad connection issues but as it turns out, other things such as our laptops do that too.

Sorry if this is too technical. Maybe Netgear deserves the returns.
Bob

Collapse -
Laptop
by svensson_ / January 2, 2013 8:41 AM PST

I just find it strange that of the 1-2 other laptops that are turn on and connected, it doesn't happen to them. It feels like it should be my laptop.

I will have to look into going back on the firmware to see if it changes anything, but it's good to know that at least we had the same problem with similar routers.

Collapse -
I think folk have written that before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop

It's a small world. My kid's Asus, wife's HP was fine and the Logitech Revue and my Samsung laptop would drop out. Much better now.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.