Internet Services Providers

Question

Internet connectivity Problems.

by akashpathak89 / March 24, 2013 1:21 AM PDT

I have a Pc and a Asus 1015 CX Net book.
I have a Internet Connection coming from my Cable operator no modem is attached, directly RJ45 cable goes into my PC.
But When i connect that same internet to my Net book the error comes about Wrong user name or password.
I have done one thing that i have cloned or made my PCs and Net book's mac Address identical.
I have to use internet, one device at a time either on Pc or on Net book.
Please help ASAP.
Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connectivity Problems.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connectivity Problems.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) This one is pretty simple. You need to add a router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 1:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS. Too bad you didn't supply which OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 1:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
@ R.Proffitt My reply is as under.
by akashpathak89 / March 24, 2013 6:28 PM PDT

I don't want to add a router i want to use the internet one device at a time from the Single Rj45 Cable coming to my house from the ISP, My Pc is running Windows XP SP2 and Netbook is Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

Collapse -
Then you have to reboot the modem or clone MACs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 1:50 AM PDT

It's a common issue, well understood and I supplied a workaround for a non-hardware solution.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: netbook
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 7:34 PM PDT

So the netbook doesn't connect to you cable operator if you take the cable out of the PC and put it into the netbook.
Then most likely there is some setting wrong in the netbook (say, the username or password of the connection).

I see no reason to have the same mac address for both devices, unless your cable operator checks it and only allows that specific mac address. But it seems the device that wants to connect should supply a username and a password. So probably you installed some software on your PC to do that, because it isn't standard. Then try installing that same software on your netbook.

Kees

Collapse -
The Cable Operator Does That.
by akashpathak89 / March 26, 2013 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: netbook

@ Kees_B
My Cable Operator checks it and only allows that specific mac address that's why i need to make the identical mac adress for these two devices.

Collapse -
Re: Mac Address
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 11:55 PM PDT

That's clear.
Then either the error message "invalid username or password" is misleading (if they mean "invalid mac address", or the mac address is OK but the netbook doesn't supply a valid username or password.

The alternative solution is to configure ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the PC and connect the netbook to it with a cable connection, or do it wiirelessly with the virtual router software noted by Bob.
Once, 12 years ago, I've seen ICS operational connecting 2 Windows 98 PC's that both used the dial-up connection opened by one of them. And it should still work. But it's difficult to setup and help is practically non-existing because nobody uses it any more.

Another alternative is to buy a 3G or 4G dongle and use that for Internet access from your netbook. But that's not so cheap, not so fast and might have a not so big volume of data allowed.

Kees

Collapse -
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 12:31 AM PDT

In your opening post you stated you already did make the identical address.

"I have done one thing that i have cloned or made my PCs and Net book's mac Address identical."

You wrote "I have done" as in you have done this!

Are you recanting that and asking how?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.