Internet Service Providers forum

Question

Internet Connection through Switch problem

by StoshFerhobin / December 26, 2012 6:47 AM PST

Hey guys, first of all i really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

My problem is that I am not getting internet to my desktop (win7) anymore through my Switch.

My set up is an ethernet cord running from my router down to the basement, where i used to have it plugged into a Switch which supplied my PC and PS3 with internet. A few days ago i installed a hauppauge capture card driver, and after a restart ( coincidence or not) my PC no longer can get internet through the switch, However the Ps3 still does. If i unplug the switch and put the ethernet right into my PC it gets internet.

The error that I am getting is that there isnt a ethernet cord detected at all, the computer doesnt even think anything is plugged in.
PS I checked under settings when i have internet, and i have a dynamic connection with IPv4 .

Any help on this at all would be greatly appreciated, I assume it has to be some quick setting change somewhere but i cant figure it out. Thanks for the read

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Connection through Switch problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Connection through Switch problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Confusion
by sunwatcher / December 26, 2012 12:39 PM PST
"If i unplug the switch and put the ethernet right into my PC it gets internet."

That seems to suggest that there is nothing wrong with the PC, but you seem to believe that it must be a setting on the PC that is causing a problem. Your statement seems to rule out the PC and points to a problem with the switch.

Make/model of both router and switch, and exact wording of the error you are receiving from your network adapter might be very helpful in determining the problem.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try another port on the switch
by wpgwpg / December 26, 2012 6:51 AM PST

Maybe you have a faulty connection with the port you're using on the switch. Most switches have at least 4 ports, so try removing the cable that goes from your PC to the switch from its current port and plug it into one of the others. Also check that cable. Sometimes they can go bad.

Good luck.

Collapse -
I should of mentioned that
by StoshFerhobin / December 26, 2012 6:55 AM PST

I should have mentioned that,
I have tried new cords and all the ports, Ive even taken the cord that works for the ps3 and plugged it Right into the PC instead. Doesnt detect it.

Its a problem on the PC end for sure. it has nothing to do with the switch, or cords =/

Collapse -
If it IS on the PC end,
by wpgwpg / December 26, 2012 8:23 AM PST

...you can install another NIC. They're not expensive and plug into expansion slots in the desktop. There're even USB ones if you'd rather not fool with going inside the box.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Have you tried
by itsdigger / December 26, 2012 8:31 AM PST

removing the capture card to see if the computer works as before? Also check to see if you may have knocked something loose inside the case. Just a thought...Digger

Collapse -
I kinda have
by StoshFerhobin / December 26, 2012 9:45 AM PST
In reply to: Have you tried

In response to wpgwpg
Why would i install a new network card when this one technically works, just not through the switch? Im still getting internet if I bypass using the switch, and go straight from the router. Im thinking its gotta be a setting that changed. When i want internet on my PS3 i just unplug the ethernet from the PC and back into the switch and it gives internet to the ps3 np, if i take that exact cord out of the ps3 and back into the PC , the computer doesnt detect it at all So...?

to: itsdigger,
Ive removed the USB that the capture card connects through, doesnt change anything, but i havent been able to disable/ remove the driver it installed, that could potentially be helpful, but im not sure which way to go about locating that.

Collapse -
you would go into you
by itsdigger / December 26, 2012 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: I kinda have

control panel and open up the Device Manager, click on the appropriate item, in your case hauppauge or network card or adapter , right click on that and choose properties and click on drivers. Hope this helps...Digger

Collapse -
Okay
by StoshFerhobin / December 26, 2012 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: you would go into you

I went in their and found Happauge under sound video and game controllers after i turned the happauge card on itself, i disabled it and of course this didnt fix the ethernet switch issue.
Think uninstalling this driver completely would matter?

Im currently trying to find my routers login/password to see if DHCP is enabled, even though it probably is.. how would that change you know?

Collapse -
I'm no pro
by itsdigger / December 26, 2012 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Okay

I just tinker but, you can always re-install those drivers so no big deal.

Collapse -
concern
by StoshFerhobin / December 26, 2012 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: I'm no pro

See my only concern with that is that am i really uninstalling the right driver?

Cause the driver is only available when the device is plugged in and turned on.

bah so over this

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.