Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet connection lost after running System Restore

by harrira / February 5, 2009 7:55 AM PST

The desktop computer is running Windows XP Home Edition.

1. I clicked Okay to downloaded a Windows update, and then noticed that the C drive became almost full.

2. Ran System Restore to undo the download.
Resulting message: "Imcomplete. C-Drive needs 200 MB more space to complete the System Restore." Now, I cannot connect to the internet, to Outlook Express or to Firefox (messages: "Cannot connect to server..." and "Server not found...").

3. I tried to make space by removing two Palm application folders via the Add/Remove feature. Result: FAILED - System cannot find a (certain) system file.
4. I ran System Restore again, this time to restore back to the original date. Result: the C Drive now has 2GB less than before the first System Restore, and still no internet connection.

5. The internet provider confirms that the connection to its server is operating correctly.

QUESTION: How do I regain my internet connection without loosing any e-mails from Outlook Express?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet connection lost after running System Restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet connection lost after running System Restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you use ZoneAlarm firewall?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 5, 2009 7:13 PM PST

If so, which version?

There was a situation, some months back, where a Windows Update caused ZoneAlarm to halt any internet connection. ZoneAlarm issued a patch to repair that.

Here's ZoneLabs quick fix for the situation if it is ZoneAlarm that is now blocking access;
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

Try Option 1 first, and if that doesn't work, then Option 2.

If you do not use ZoneAlarm, or if the Windows Update you installed was not KB951748, then I am not sure, and perhaps others will have better ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
Internet connection lost after running System Restore
by harrira / February 5, 2009 8:55 PM PST

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not using ZoneAlarm firewall.
I use Windows XP's own firewall and I have checked "allowed" for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Outlook Express.
From the error replies I think that some Windows or exe files have been corrupted or removed at the time of the System Restore.
Note: the only comm feature that works is Skype.

Collapse -
Re: c:-drive full
by Kees Bakker / February 5, 2009 9:07 PM PST

Find or buy an external disk or USB-stick and copy at least 4 Gb of data (or folders from Program Files that you don't need for a while) to it. Burn it to DVD also, if possible, for added security.

Then delete the copied files from your hard disk. This would give at least 4 Gb free space. That should be enough to redo System Restore. Cross your fingers and hope it works this time.

Then start a large cleaning operation like
- programs you don't need
- temp files (using ccleaner - free download - or disk cleanup wizard)
- data you don't need any more
- system restore area (from disk cleanup wizard)
and when you cleaned a few Gb copy back the data from the external hard disk or USB-stick.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
C:Drive Full
by harrira / February 9, 2009 5:19 AM PST

Hi Kees, Mark,
Free space on the C:drive is not the issue because, since the second System Restore, there is 2.4 KB free on the C:drive.
The problem really seems to be that some system files have been damaged because:
1) I cannot Connect to the internet (the BIG problem), and
2) I cannot use the Add/Remove function to remove files from the C:drive (messages: Cannot connect to server..." and "Server not found...").
I heard that there is a repair function in the Windows CD-ROM? but am unsure how how to apply it?
Could you advise?

Collapse -
Off chance
by Cursorcowboy / February 10, 2009 12:01 AM PST

1. Download and follow the instructions for "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP) which:

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method -- two additional notes FYI:

? "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

? "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

Caveat: Using IEFix myself, the utility does not suggest or require a reboot but I do suggest that you do. In addition, if an extra icon for IE is located on the Desktop afterwards you may delete it.

Note: Else, some of the core Internet Explorer "?.dll files" may not be correctly registered or need registering. First, verify the exact path of where the Iexplore.exe file is found and used as noted for this example. Second, click Start, Run, type exactly "(Hard Drive Letter):\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" /rereg and then either click OK or press Enter.

2. Reinstalling otherwise:

a. First, be familiar with "Information About Internet Explorer Setup (Q256340)". Second, click Start, Search, All Files and Folders, More Advanced Options, enter a check in Search Hidden Files and Folders, Search System Folders, and Search Subfolders. Type ie.inf in All or Part of the File Name box, select C: in the Look In drop-down menu or the letter of the hard drive containing the Windows folder, and then click the Search button. Find the file labeled ie.inf in the result pane. Right-click this file and then from the context menu, select Install.

b. The article [Q304872] states that when you try to install IE6, you may receive an error message that can occur if it has already been installed and the installation package does not contain any new customizations -- a customized versions of Internet Explorer 6 that was created by an Internet service provider, Internet content provider, or a corporate administrator that is installed instead of the default browser.

c. "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)."

3. Fixing connectivity/WinSock problems:

a. WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then "download" and give WinSock XP Fix a try, a 1,412kb file. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.

b. "LSP-Fix" is a free utility that may be downloaded to repair certain problems associated with Internet software when you can no longer access Web sites due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of software. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.