Phones forum

Question

international & domestic networks or phones incompatible?

by ATP-1 / July 30, 2012 11:54 AM PDT

I have recently purchased a new mobile phone, but am using the same sim card as used w/ my previous mobile phone.

Domestically, there appears no problem--calls & sms appear to work.

However, internationally there appears some problems.

While I am able to send an sms to one family member in Australia, as well as call this family member, I am unable to do the same for another family member.The family member I am unable to reach calls usually by means of an international dial card (probably internet-based calls, but do not know for sure). She has also changed her mobile phone--she has a contract w/ an Australian carrier.

This family member has informed me that she is able to call others overseas, and get through. But, she is unable to do so with me, since I purchased the new phone.

I have called the domestic mobile phone carrier here (I am not in the US), & had been informed that I had sufficient monies in the card account, and that no technical troubles were registering with my phone & overseas dialling.

What is the problem here? Can anyone kindly provide some guidance--this is starting to get up my goat.

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: international & domestic networks or phones incompatible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: international & domestic networks or phones incompatible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You aren't specific enough about carriers/locations
by Pepe7 / July 30, 2012 1:21 PM PDT

Get more specific and we can attempt to help. Bob is correct about international SMS though, but it still would help to know more.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
In addition to the other questions....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 1:43 PM PDT

Which make/model phone are you using? Which cellular carrier/network in the US and Australia? Not enough information for anyone to offer more advice. Is it a prepaid carrier in the US ?? If prepaid, international roaming/calling will not work.

Collapse -
international & domestic networks, phones--details supplied
by ATP-1 / July 31, 2012 4:01 PM PDT

Well, the fundamentals here are as follows:

* carriers/networks--are based in Australia and China (where I temporarily reside).

* sim card-mine is supplied--if I remember correctly--by one of two major carriers here, China Mobile. I have used the same sim card & mobile phone number for around 8 years now

* phones--mine (LG P355 Optimus WE); wife's (LG KP500); stepdaughter's (Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9258): wife & stepdaughter purchased their mobile phones in Australia.

* contracts--I have no contract with a local carrier/network, & my wife has no contract with any Australian carrier/network--contacts me via use of an inexpensive overseas mobile phone dialling card. Stepdaughter has contract with Vodaphone.

I can send & receive sms from stepdaughter (but not able to call her). Prior to purchase of my new mobile phone, was able to send & receive sms from my wife, but now unable to; she is now also unable to call me, but is able to call others overseas. There is some suggestion that my wife has changed her phone in the past.

My local carrier informs me that I have sufficient monies in the card account, and that no technical troubles were registering with my phone & overseas dialling.

Any & all ideas & suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Can we clear up a misconception here?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2012 1:05 AM PDT

I may be wrong but it appears you are thinking that there is something you can change as to a setting or such to GET AROUND the barriers and fees the carriers place on such messages.

The short answer is "no." If you want to use email, then that gets around this. There is another notable solution and that is Apple's iPhone message system. Here's a note about that. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2436585?start=0&tstart=0

So there it is. Some folk get upset about this and will not accept that this is all setup so that fees apply for the service.
Bob

Collapse -
If you read the details of his issues...
by Pepe7 / August 1, 2012 6:26 AM PDT

...it sounds somewhat like the provisioning of one or the other lines involved. I don't read anything sinister in his wish to do anything except talk/text, which is pretty standard stuff. The frustrations seem pretty natural if you think about what used to work but no longer does.

Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2012 1:09 PM PDT

Just last month our GPS Cell tracker up an quit in a part of the world as S---t changed the rules. International texting is an area we know is trouble. If you think it's a setting, dive in and offer what to try.
Bob

Collapse -
It seems like a provisioning issue
by Pepe7 / August 1, 2012 1:53 AM PDT

Sometimes accounts are provisioned in strange ways, at least with contract phones. And then there's the issue of postpaid vs prepaid features being different, and that's even before working with international functionality. But since the ability to call is on the SIM card (authenticating with the China Mobile network you are current using), it seems as though it's not the phone settings, but something on her Vodaphone line that won't accept international calls from your particular prepaid number. Possible, anyway.

If any of your family receives a monthly service bill from an Australian carrier, you might look at the international dialing/SMS features on the account to verify they are all still there. If that information is not included on the statement, call customer service to verify. Basically, since they are using different carriers, your wife & daughter will have to do this respectively to at least start to eliminate reasons why they cannot reach you in certain ways via your China Mobile prepaid service abroad.

Another place you might ask is whirlpool (in Oz)-
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/114

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the old fashioned way. Such as email.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 12:17 PM PDT

The discussion about cross border messaging has been done a few times so in short, you get dinged for such services.

Try email. No ding.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.