Storage forum

Internal HDD replacement questions

by itsdigger / August 23, 2013 6:47 AM PDT

Dell Inspiron 530S , 32bit Windows 7. Over the last year I've replaced everything but the motherboard and HDD which is a 320GB Samsung SATA HDD. Well now the HDD is starting to make a gring sound and failed to boot thrice. The bios came up on start but no OS until rebooting several times.Fans turned and everything lit up. I ordered this >> and it's 1TB. When I install the os from my Image Disc will it formatt the whole disc so I can use it or will I need to create partitions? I will also be install some flavor of Linux. Thanks for your time Digger

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internal HDD replacement questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internal HDD replacement questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I found the answer
by itsdigger / August 23, 2013 7:34 AM PDT

I was looking for. When I use the Win 7 Image Disc's, It will do just that , give me an image of my 320 GB hdd. can use Acronis or something else to create other partitions for Linux or games or whatever. I still might need some coaching though. I've never installed a New hdd. Let the New Learning Experience Begin......Digger

Collapse -
Are you sure about that?
by Oldartq / August 23, 2013 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I found the answer

You have done it already? It may give you the operating system but I wouldn't think it would give you everything that's in the 320GB drive.

Collapse -
well no
by itsdigger / August 23, 2013 11:01 AM PDT

I'm not sure about that but I am sure that the only thing going on the new hard drive is whats on the image discs I made but not sure what else to do yet.

Collapse -
If you use Ghost or Easeus Todo Backup, no problem
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: well no

I use these two programs all the time, and I guarantee they will create an image you can use to restore everything on the partition. Just remember that Windows 7 can put boot info on other partitions unless you're using what came from Dell. This of course means that just saving and restoring C: isn't enough when the boot info is on a different partition.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Let me add something about Linux
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 3:48 AM PDT

If you're going to or have installed Linux, I'm sure you know that it has its own file system, so I'd put it in a separate partition all by itself. If you've installed it on a partition with Windows, it can really complicate things. If this is the case, I'd say rule #1 applies.

Collapse -
Rule #1
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 3:50 AM PDT

Rule #1: Know what you're doing! Grin

Collapse -
It will work, but save that Recovery partition
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 3:33 AM PDT

All the Dell's I've seen the last few years come with a recovery partition on the hard drive, so before replacing the current drive, do what you can to save that partition and make recovery discs in accordance with your user guide. You can get the computer working without it if you reinstall, but you never know when you're going to need to restore to factory settings. In fact you might want to do that with the new drive so you don't have the hassle of finding and installing the right ones with the new hard drive. I imagine you've seen posts in this forum where folks have reinstalled from scratch and had all kinds of driver problems - something you'd do well to avoid when you can.
Good luck.

Collapse -
well than wpg
by itsdigger / August 24, 2013 3:49 AM PDT

would I be better off using the original disc's that came with the computer instead of using my image disc's ?

Collapse -
What do you have on C:?
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: well than wpg

Digger, what do you have on the C: partition? If you have just Windows 7 with its boot info and no Linux, I'd go for a good backup/restore program like Ghost or Easeus. The Control Panel's Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk tool will tell you if C: has the boot info.
Like I say though, if you've installed Linux inside that C: partition, you might want to go with the discs to restore to factory settings. It gets real complicated in this case.

Collapse -
just Win7
by itsdigger / August 24, 2013 3:59 AM PDT

nothing more. It's Vista/Win7 upgrade on the image disc's

Collapse -
(NT) Is the boot info on C: as well?
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: just Win7
Collapse -
everythings on C
by itsdigger / August 24, 2013 4:11 AM PDT

this is pretty pretty much the way it was from the factory only a bunch of new parts I replaced. This is my learning/play machine.

Collapse -
Then where does the Vista/Windows 7 upgrade
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: everythings on C

Then where does the Vista/Windows 7 upgrade come into the picture? Vista is a complicating variable I don't understand. Also I'd use that Control Panel applet I mentioned earlier to verify that the boot info is actually on C:.

Collapse -
well it only has one hard drive so and everythings on it
by itsdigger / August 24, 2013 4:20 AM PDT

putting the hdd in now

Collapse -
well that was simple
by itsdigger / August 24, 2013 5:39 AM PDT

I installed the new hdd and used my system image disc's to load theOS. The new Hdd put 294.09 GB on the C drive, 4.00 GB Health Primary Partition and 633.42 Unallocated. Now I'm gonna change the optical drive than I'll play with that unallocated space . I'll be wanting to put a Linux Distro on there Cool .....Digger

Collapse -
Good to hear - put Linux in a SEPARATE partition
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: well that was simple

Congratulations, Digger! It's a great feeling when something like that comes and runs like you want it to. When you get ready to install Linux, but sure to put it in a separate partition because it gets very complicated otherwise. Also even in a separate partition, once you install Linux you can't resize any partitions without making everything unbootable. This is the voice of experience! So be sure you've got your partitions set up like you'll want them for the rest of that hard drive's life before installing it.

Collapse -
we'll be talking about that
by itsdigger / August 24, 2013 7:06 AM PDT

soon WPG. I'm gonna start a "How Too" thread about that in the Linux forum so we can share the info with other people. Other folks will be interested in my question....Digger

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.