Samsung forum

General discussion

Internal Crack on Samsung 50" model # PN50C7000YF

by TuckerNStacy / March 17, 2011 11:36 AM PDT

My husband and I purchased a Samsung 7000 series 50" tv, after years of looking, debating and supposedly doing our homework. Four months later (day before yesterday), a crack appears. You cannot feel the cracks, as they are inside the glass screen. Samsung customer service had us fax over our receipt, which we did on 3/15/2011 to fax # 864-751-2882. As well as emailed photos of said crack. They hastily, by this morning, made a decision that it was external damage and they wouldn't do a thing about it. The photos weren't good, bad by any stretch of the imagination . . . gotta love point and shoot cameras and glass screens, the glare and blur. I'm surprised they could make out the cracks at all.

The tv was brought home 11/5/2010 and promptly mounted with a MONSTER (quality brand) wall mount, approximately 5.5 ft from the floor, with a sturdy tall table sitting underneath it to hold game consoles and such. The tv has NEVER been moved, bumped or hit in that four months that we've owned it.

Anyway . . . my husband spent an hour with customer service today and we are sick over spending 2,000.00 dollars on a tv that now is completely flawed, by no fault of our own.

At the very least, I would like a live representative from Samsung to come and look at the tv, then make the determination and make the argument, face to face, why they believe its external and not internal.

This is an expensive piece of equipment and this is completely unacceptable!

Purchased by: Justin and Stacy Tucker
Transaction #: 5001218913
Model #: PN50C7000YF
S/N: D1883CQZ501178J

Purchased at the Tualatin, Oregon Best Buy, store #1422

Any help would be appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internal Crack on Samsung 50" model # PN50C7000YF
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internal Crack on Samsung 50" model # PN50C7000YF
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Internal Crack on Samsung 50" model # PN50C7000YF
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 18, 2011 2:45 PM PDT

TuckerNStacy,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your TV.

I've sent your request to one of the managers to see if they can review the case and the situation. It probably won't be reviewed until at least Monday, but I have sent it this evening.

If they are able to assist, they'll reach out to you at the number associated with the transaction number you provided.

--HDTech

Collapse -
tv
by TuckerNStacy / March 19, 2011 12:44 AM PDT

Ok.

Thank you,
~Stacy Tucker

Collapse -
BBB
by TuckerNStacy / March 19, 2011 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: tv

I look forward to hearing from someone from Samsung regarding this matter. We are so disappointed with how we were treated via phone with the Samsung customer service, and the quick decision based on some crappy, point and shoot photos. You cannot feel the cracks, at all, they are absolutely internal and we did NOT create this damage. I can repeat what I said above, if it'll help.

I did repeat what I feel like I've written 100 times, to the Better Business Bureau.

This is absolutely a flaw in the television and we want the tv replaced!

~Stacy Tucker

Collapse -
Update
by TuckerNStacy / March 21, 2011 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: BBB

We had a repair person at Best Buy assess the tv and they said it is absolutely an internal crack. They are sending someone to the house, via the Geek Squad so they can officially write something up regarding. We were a month outside the 90 day extended warranty/return policy or they said they would of easily taken it back. It is not the first one that they have seen, though its not just seen in Samsung, it is a plasma screen (and some laptop screens) thing.

Why won't Samsung take responsibility, that this tv was/is flawed and just give us another at the same purchase value?

So far we have experienced horrible customer service.

I want two things . . . I want Samsung to send a live person out to assess this tv. We are not trying to skimp and get something for nothing . . . we have nothing hide. Send a live person out, check it out for yourselves. IT IS AN INTERNAL CRACK/FLAW; NOT EXTERNAL.

AND, I want the tv replaced!!

It was good to have a professional back us up on this via Best Buy. When I get, in writing, from Best Buy, that this is exactly what we've said all along, I will fax it to Samsung.

As a side note:

We are a young family. The decision to buy one of Samsung's products, especially one that is so expensive, was not taken lightly. How this is handled will effect buying Samsung in the future (we have Samsung phones, Samsung Blueray player, etc . . . that will change). I have a large family, we are close . . . they, I'm sure, are effected by how this is handled. When there are so many brands to choose from . . . customer relations should be very important to your company! I blog about this. I tell everyone that will listen. If and when this is handled properly, I'll blab that too.

PS, I shouldn't have to be writing on a forum for all to see . . . this should have been handled asap and discreetly by Samsung. Four months is not the normal life-span of a Plasma television. This sucks that I'm here doing this. Its beyond frustrating and, all we wanted was to be treated fairly.

Collapse -
Another thread
by RebeccaVC / March 22, 2011 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Hi,
I have the same exact problem with my Samung PN50C8000! I didn't get anywhere with Samsung. I even tweeted back and forth with Samsung Service on twitter about it. Today I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I suggest you do the same. I filed it online.

Also, there is another really long thread already created about his issue and it has a lot of replies on it.

I'll see if I can find it for you.

Collapse -
Other Discussion Thread
by RebeccaVC / March 22, 2011 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Update
Collapse -
Forum Response...
by TuckerNStacy / March 22, 2011 10:16 AM PDT

Hi RebeccaVC,

Thank you for the link to the other forums. We are currently gathering information and unbiased opinions from reputable sources/companies. We have currently filed with the BBB and a few other agencies as well looking into any possible lawsuit that is currently pending. Although it's not the end of the world, we're still extremely disappointed in Samsung and its quality of customer service. If we even had the slightest doubt / possibility the damage was caused by us physically, we'd definitely not be wasting our precious time.

On a positive note, a Samsung rep. did call today and say they'd be sending someone out to look at the problem for a 2nd assessment. However, I called back no more than 60 seconds later and the number he gave me said they were closed (big-shock). I'll try and schedule tomorrow.

Thank you again.....

Collapse -
Updating 3/31/2011
by TuckerNStacy / March 31, 2011 10:12 AM PDT

Samsung did send someone out . . . actually 2 someones. Best Buy got them to send someone (a contracted representative) from Pro Sound and Audio . . . that was a week ago; with no word back, mind you.

After we filed with the BBB, they scheduled someone else to come out . . . completely unrelated to the first. This someone came today, another contracted representative, this time from Wolff's (sp) in Portland. Both reps said that it was internal damage and that it did NOT look like we did anything. We have a quality surge protector on the tv, always have, so they agreed it wasn't that.

Both reps also stated clearly that Samsung is the final word. We were told today that we will know in 24 hours. That will be the fastest response from Samsung that we have received yet.

So here we hold our breath . . . we stare at a black (monstrosity) of a screen hanging in our living room, hoping that it will be replaced asap.

We are over two weeks since the crack appeared. =0(

Collapse -
FOLLOW UP
by hunterco123 / May 11, 2011 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Updating 3/31/2011

Did you ever get this handled?

Collapse -
I am in Tualatin OR as well and the same thing happened!
by hunterco123 / May 11, 2011 3:10 AM PDT

Hi,
When reading your comment I am surprised. I felt like I wrote that. We purchased a 58 inch Samsung plasma and had that EXACT same problem. We bought our T.V. 6 months ago at video Only in Beaverton and 2 weeks ago a small internal spider crack appeared. After calling,giving pictures, submitting receipts and being told to wait I called this morning and they said it was determined that it was physical damage! it is completely internal with No external damage and we did nothing to it. I called a supervisor and they are resubmitting my claim to see if they can make a second opinion but as of now we are 2 weeks with no T.V. and no help from Samsung!

Collapse -
58"Plasma arrived same problem-waiting response (by mhfllc)
by mhfllc / May 12, 2011 6:55 AM PDT

Received Dec 2010. Arrived with crack. No damage to box internally or externally. Warranty declined.
How can we find out how to add our name to teh class actionsuit? mateohifillc@comcast.net

Collapse -
Oregon Attorney Geneneral

Go to the Oregon Attorney Generals website, under forms; complete the consumer complaint form with the documentation provided by Samsung. Also they recommended contacting the FTC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.