Samsung forum

General discussion

Internal Crack on my TV panel

by misuarez / April 29, 2009 8:05 AM PDT

We've been using our new 50" Samsung plasma TV for 5 weeks, all of the sudden while we're watching TV a loud noise comes out of it and a line starts appearing on the screen. It turned out to be a crack on the panel, but in the inside. The TV is not even mounted, we didn't touch it, didn't do anything to it and it's been sitting there for 5 weeks. A Tech sent by Samsung looked at it and specify to Samsung that there was no external damage, not a a scratch... NOTHING, still they refuse cover the TV becaused they say we damaged the TV.... HOW????? BY WATCHING TV???? I've also seen a few posts on different websites about this, has anybody been successful on getting the TV fixed? this is unacceptable.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internal Crack on my TV panel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internal Crack on my TV panel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 30, 2009 10:55 AM PDT

misuarez,

If you happen to have a transaction number available, I may be able to forward this to our Executive Customer Resolution Department. That number would start with 4001xxxxx, or 2001xxxxx or a number in that kind of format.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by misuarez / May 14, 2009 12:42 AM PDT

The transaction # is 3000219557. I have already been in contact with the "Executive" line and they stated the same: "Samsung does not cover physical damage", which is unacceptable as I was just WATCHING TV, I've had the TV working for 5 weeks only and nobody touched the TV, and all they wanted was a picture and that's how they can tell there was physical damage? when there are no scratches, no external damage, nothing, so basically I am being called a liar.

I would appreciate anything you can do to help, I have seen the same case online for other people.

Collapse -
by misuarez / May 14, 2009 11:19 AM PDT

I received a message from a case manager stating that my TV won't be covered because of physical damage, which is impossible because my wife was WATCHING the TV when it happened; we would not go through this trouble if we had broken the TV, it's a matter of principles.

I called today and was informed that the case manager would call me but I received not such call. I have explained my case and Samsung has provided no explanation or proof the we actually damage the TV; I am 100% sure we did not cause physical damage to the TV, and I'm also not a liar.

I have filed complaints with:

- Federal Trade Commission (#22746254)
- Better Business Bureau
- Office of the Florida Attorney General
- Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- 3 different media outlets

I have posted reviews on Amazon, CNET, Facebook and will continue to do so and explain my situation on every site I can.

We DID NOT cause physical damage to the TV and only ask for fair treatment. I hope they can reconsider the decision.

Collapse -
Internal Crack On My TV Panel:
by mietech / April 2, 2011 1:21 AM PDT

Have you tried to resolve this issue where you purchased this TV? They would have better communication with the factory rep and may get this TV repaired or replaced.I have had a Denon receiver replaced because of a power surge problem that fried the unit and the store manager talked to the Denon rep and got me a brand new receiver.

Collapse -
Innternal crack on SAMSUNG Plasma
by AVI8TR / November 21, 2011 3:22 AM PST

There is a discussion currently on Amazon, rife with upset Samsung plasma owners over this very issue.. This is not an exception, it IS quiet common. Mine occured yesterday, four month old 59" 6500 plasma Samsung. Looks like a rock hit windshield from the inside. Go with Panasonic, Samsung/Korean company assembled in Mexico/ Panasonic all Japanese... $400/mo for four months for the priviledge of watching Samsung should be a felony. After all, aren't corporations people? Caveat emptor, you've been warned. add insult to injury, Haz mat cost for disposal. no part value..

Collapse -
What could I have done?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 15, 2009 5:09 AM PDT

misuarez,

You posted your original complaint two weeks ago on April-30, and I responded back immediately with an offer to assist. The first I heard back was on the May-14 updating me, followed by another post with noting you've taken action.

I didn't even have a chance to inquire. I had less than an hour between your posts. I didn't call you a liar. I offered to help.

I have forwarded your case number up for a review.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Sorry
by misuarez / May 15, 2009 6:41 AM PDT

I didn't mean that you called me a liar... I was talking about the response I received from Samsung Customer Service as I explained on my past post, which has nothing to do with this forum, I was talking about my overall experience.

Collapse -
Ahhh.. I got it...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 15, 2009 3:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

misuarez,

I appreciate that.

I felt it was only right to follow up, because I was hoping to get a better result. I did send it back up, but if it was denied, it may very well stand that way - I wish I had more influence, but it's ultimately up to them. I did try, however, to see what I could do, so maybe Monday or Tuesday, you might call back to see if the decision was changed. It could go either way, but I want you to know that I did to the best I could, regardless of what happens.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by misuarez / May 15, 2009 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Ahhh.. I got it...

I appreciate your effort; however, I have discovered that I'm not alone, I found more than 20 people with the same issues (only the ones that have posted comment, I'm sure there are more reading), so I'm confident it's a product defect since I did not do anything to the TV. Anybody wanting to join to take further actions please join at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/against_samsung/join

Collapse -
funny.....
by slappykm / July 25, 2012 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

We had our samsung 3D tv go black 6 months after purchasing it and samsug sent out a techncian. The technician while trying to remove the back cracked the screen. The company that samsung used was called top tech electronics in kitchener, ont they took the tv with them and told us that samsung is going to replace the screen because it was an internal crack.......that was hilarous since I saw him crack it and I took a picture for proof. Now 6 months later while watching tv the screen went black again and after closer inspection noticed a small crack. I called samsung and they said they dont repair cracks but they sent the same technician out again to check it out. Top tech electronics took a picture and said they probably will not fix it because samsung wont believe that i never cracked the screen......Do you believe that!!!! Aparantly samsung will believe there lying technicians when they cleary cracked the screen and even repair under warranty because it was an "internal" crack but when a real internal crack occures and their loyal customer expains the situtaion they accuse their customer of lying......unbelievable!!!

Collapse -
Internal Crack and Horrible servic3
by sameerparmar / May 27, 2012 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahhh.. I got it...

I am one of many consumers with same identical story. Google "Samsung Plasma Internal Crack". My 6 months old 51" Samsung Plasma TV PN51D440A5DXZA stopped working with an internal crack that came on its own. I did not touch it just like many other customers with same issue. I am not technical but a colleague told me it has to do with internal heating of some components or some component failure. I informed Samsung who denied warranty calling it "physical damage". I asked them to send a technician to evaluate at my cost and they agreed only to call back and deny that approach. After spending weeks with them over phone, they agreed to pay for parts while I pay $200 for labor (TV was $500). Than goodness I purchased from Sams Club who were kind enough to take the TV back and I now have a Vizio LCD at my place. I know that data shows their TVs to be great but with such unethical service and attitude, you are better off tryng another brand.

Collapse -
Same problem
by jrmarks76 / July 7, 2013 10:39 AM PDT

I have the same model Samsung 51" and also purchased it from Sams in December 2011. I don't have a receipt or anything, did you? I'm just wondering what I can do. My problem is the exact same as what you described.

Collapse -
PLEASE HELP ME
by akhendren / March 26, 2011 12:46 AM PDT

Sir I could really use your help, I have a similar problem. I havent contact Samsung yet as my tv just broke about an hour ago. Not knowing if there was anything I could do I turned to the internet to look for answers before my husband gets home and freaks out since our tv is only 2 months old. If you think you can help me in the proper way to contact Samsung in getting my tv fixed or replace than please email me at akhendren@aol.com.....please im desperate and need help, 2 months and all that money down the drain on a 50in tv, even though we're not at fault my husband is ging to be so upset....as he should be.....please help so I can deliever a solution to our problem so he wont be so upset and my kids can eatch cartoons! THANKYOU!!!!

Collapse -
Can you do the same for me?
by geff_99 / May 29, 2011 11:41 PM PDT

I have the exact same case as everyone else. We were watching TV, went to dinner, came back and saw a black screen. Everyone was at dinner. No one touched the TV. I do not have pets. My first transaction number was 2013438923. I was given a new transaction number 5001356107.

Collapse -
Re: Can you do the same for me?
by waldwolf / May 30, 2011 6:11 AM PDT

geff_99 -
I don't know if you realize, but the post you replied to is over 2 years old.
(You may want to read a later Samsung_HD_Tech reply, addressed to Timborino and others, currently on page 10.)

As this thread currently has 11 pages, if you haven't do so yet, you may want to go the last page and work your way back reading the various posts and responses. You'll find many people who were/are in the same situation as yourself and what they did or are doing to resolve their specific problem(s).

Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Collapse -
59' Samsung Plasma DN59D550 purchased at Best Buy - CRACK
by sgrgrant / December 30, 2012 3:14 AM PST

same thing with ours...purchased 12/2011. Went out to dinner last night, watched it right up until we left. Turned TV off, came home and husband turned it back on. White strip of light down TV...pop sound then HUGE spider crack down the length of TV with avery small rough spot right in the middle of the crack. NOTHING hit that TV screen. We have kids but they are spending the winter break away from home (thank goodness cause if we didn't see this with our own eyes it could have been a BAD case of WTH Happened!!!!) Just got of the phon with Samsung who acted like this dos not happen. Waiting on a call back from a service tech. They better NOT try to pin this on us!!!! Obviously this has happened to others. CRAZY!!!!! 2,000 TV made to self destruct after 12 months Sad we do have a warranty until April....better get fixed!)

Collapse -
Same issue was resolved for somebody else
by misuarez / May 16, 2009 2:42 AM PDT

I also have the BBB complaint # for somebody else with the exact same issue, I have his name, phone # and order #4003281208. I don't understand why I'm getting such a bad service. Samsung has resolved the problem for this person, so I expect the same. Thanks.

Collapse -
contact me please
by tito1177 / July 8, 2009 3:05 PM PDT

Hello misuarez i have just recently filed with the bbb but if i can get some more information about how you got samsung to replace your tv cause im still waiting. my email is mikekristyanne@yahoo.com

Collapse -
same problem TV cracked screen
by Angel9116 / February 5, 2012 10:32 AM PST
In reply to: contact me please

I have a samsung un46d7000 smart TV, we were watching TV, a 3D movie latter that day I went back to watch another program and noticed a line on the screen. When I liked closer the screen was cracked, mine was wall mounted, in my bed room. No one touches the TV, it's perfect on the outside the crack is in the inside of the TV. I to still have payments left on the TV. I bought it at best buy there tech referred me to samsung. I am currently waiting for a response from them, I to had to send pictures of the damage. will let you know what happened.

Collapse -
Re: same problem TV cracked screen
by waldwolf / February 6, 2012 2:51 AM PST

Angel9116 -
Your post above is associated with a post almost 3 years old.(Note: there are currently 16 pages of posts in this thread.)

Suggest you re-post in the most recent page (currently page 16), where most readers will easly find your comments and/or request for help.

Also, suggest you read as many posts in this thread as possible. Many offer suggestions were people with a similar problem were successful in obtaining repairs/exchanges/new TV's from Samsung or the original retailer.

Collapse -
internal crack on Samsung LED - UN55B8500
by bsolnj / October 5, 2010 3:16 AM PDT

Had my Sammy for 6 mo. This is a second Samsung I've purchased and up until this point have been very happy with them. I bought this LED from Amazon so going back to the store is out of the question and now I had to deal with Samsung customer relations department. As other participants of the forum mentioned, Samsung will refuse to repair or exchange your tv claiming it is a physical damage even though my tv does not even have a single scratch on the outside. First I contacted customer support but then I called executive relations hoping to have them replace the tv but to no avail. I will file a complain as others have suggested.
My transaction # is 2012052013

Collapse -
by SAFlint / June 11, 2015 10:57 AM PDT

I am having the exact same issue. The TV is only 6 months old. I bought Samsung because I have 30 HD ones at work and when there is an issue they fix it.

Collapse -
cracked panel
by Tiffany Powell / October 13, 2009 5:01 AM PDT

I am in the exact same condition as the other post. I have a 50 inch samsung television, not mounted sitting where it has been for months, i have only had it about 10 months all of a sudden, i hear a loud noise, and the tv fades to black. I called samsung they sent someone out, the guy says you should be fine, we see no physical damage, i call samsung to follow up, and they say you have a cracked panel and there is nothing we can do, i talked with the executive relations department they said the same thing. My transaction # is 4005571021, my model # is PN50A460S4DXZA. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and that # is 8814127. Please help me

Collapse -
cracked panel
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 13, 2009 6:38 PM PDT
In reply to: cracked panel

Tiffany Powell,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble.

I've send your case up to be reviewed. I won't be contacting you on this, but if they're able to make some progress, they may be contacting you. I just don't work in that department, so I'm not a part of the decision making. If I do hear something, I'll report back.

--HDTech

Collapse -
They say they are gonna replace it.
by Tiffany Powell / October 23, 2009 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: cracked panel

Samsung has agreed to replace my tv with the current model, hopefully this one doesn't do the same. I hope everyone else gets through, but like most have said, file a complaint with the BBB it seems to work. Also, they have a twitter account, I tweeted how upset I was and someone found it, it was kind of weird but very helpful the person wasn't following me on anything (that's twitter talk, for those who don't know what i'm talking about). Stay on top of it, and good luck to everyone, and thank you all for helping me as well.

Collapse -
panasonic
by errolla7 / December 13, 2009 10:19 PM PST

I just had same problem with Panasonic plasma. Internal crack while watching. No phsical damage.

Collapse -
Picture of your TV Screen
by keebears / March 3, 2011 4:41 AM PST

Hi Tiffany! Do you happen to have a picture of the cracked screen that got replaced? Of course Samsung is diagnosing my tv with physical damage when there was no physical damage, and I want to compare my screen with one that got covered.

Thanks ever so much!

Beth Cook
beth_cook99@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Indeed so Samsung are we all lying? Take responsibility!!!
by Drok1113 / November 17, 2009 1:26 AM PST

Same issue, I have a 52 inch 750 Samsung cost me a huge $2,500 with extended warranty, and was well worth it until this happened!

I was watching TV it was sitting there on its stand perfectly fine then loud noise it shut off. When I turned it on there was a spiral crack that has progressively gotten worse with out me touching it! Someone came out and checked it and told me even though it shows no damage to the exterior that samsung will not cover it under warranty because they say that somehow the customer must of caused the damage? He seemed to think it was just as ridiculous as I did and he works with these things!

So someone has to tell me how did I and all of us for that matter cause internal damage to our samsung tvs without so much as a scratch on the exterior. The answer is easy: WE DIDN'T!!!

Sorry Samsung but when someone breaks thier leg there is always bruising on thier skin, and when a tv/monitor's internal panel gets damaged from the exterior there would be some evidence of that also!!

Please anyone and everyone who is ready to take action over these injustices please contact me dchester.satellitefusion@gmail.com my name is Derrick join up with me or if there is already a class action or larger group fighting this let me know so I may join. I will be reporting to the BBB and anyother agency that may help!!

The funny things is I run my own communications company and was looking into adding Samsung to my arsenal, but after this i do not want my customers having to deal with BS manufactures warranty from samsung!

Collapse -
internal crack in tv
by Musiclady121 / July 21, 2010 12:43 PM PDT

I have had the same exact problem, tv is only 6 months old, we were just watching it, and the lines started to appear, and then the crack. We did not physically damage the tv, only watch it about 15 hours a week Samsung is stating that we physically damaged the tv, there are no external cracks, or not even one scratch on tv. Tv was never damaged, dropped etc Please advise if you found a solution or do I also need to file a complaint - I am awaiting a response from the executive team now.

Collapse -
MusicLady
by fpc2 / July 21, 2010 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: internal crack in tv

You need to file formal complaints with the Better Business Bureau, Attorney General: New Jersey, Dept of Consumer Affairs, and Federal Trade Commission.

You will find sites online to help you do that.

I started with Samsung and was told a local company would come and look at TV. They never bothered to come. My TV had no external physical damage. The manufacture's defect of not allowing enough expansion room for the rear glass to expand due to heat resulted in it fracturing. Refer to "Thermal Expansion" in your complaint forms. It is a well know defect with Samsung Plasma televisions and there is a formal action taken on it whereby Samsung is being forced to make appropriate repairs. You will find reference to that in this thread.

Samsung would not replace my tv until they heard from one of the agencies listed above. Then they called, stepped up to the plate, and did the right thing and replaced my tv within a week. The delivery people were great. I haven't budged that TV since they set it on the cabinet. Picture is perfect.

Good Luck. Keep us updated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.