Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

intermittent internet connection problems

by Tsee-19680310699050978815 / September 29, 2007 12:58 AM PDT

I keep having the same problem with my DSL service, but it's hard to pinpoint (which means Verizon will tell me everything looks fine).

My browser launches on startup. It almost never has problems fetching the startup page, set to My Yahoo. But then I'd often have problem getting to any website, including Yahoo, or getting email. "Repairing" the connection doesn't work (I'm on Win XP Pro), and usually I'm forced to turn off the router, and reboot the computer as well. Things usually work after that, but sometimes, and not too infrequently, the Internet connection could also terminate when I've been online for awhile, like just now as I try to post this message.

Even when I don't have to reboot, I usually have to wait half a minute or more after startup before the connection resumes working (remember the browser always fetches the first page).
It's extremely

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: intermittent internet connection problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: intermittent internet connection problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

I fixed a few of these. It turned out the owner was using the USB connection to the DSL modem. Sorry I have yet to find a good cure to make that work.

If this doesn't apply to your setup, remember you didn't tell us much.

Collapse -
What else do you need to know?
by Tsee-19680310699050978815 / September 29, 2007 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

I use ethernet cable, not usb. (The modem's Westell 327W, btw).

Collapse -
Your choice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2007 10:39 PM PDT

If you feel I must ask all the questions, then I must unsubscribe. I will share my nieghbor had the 327w and it failed oddly. I loaned him my older westell and router and it worked great so they replaced the 327w.

Good luck in finding your issue but I'll decline asking for the basic details. Those are asked for each time you post (the words in red.)

Collapse -
Hi Bob
by Josh K / October 21, 2007 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Your choice here.

I also have frequent, sudden losses of Internet connection with my DSL router. It's a 2WIRE (provider is AT&T, formerly SBC). I've checked and rechecked all my network settings, had a service tech come to the house and had the router replaced (with another, newer 2WIRE). What happens in my case is that all is fine most of the time but roughly once a week, the connection is suddenly dropped. I reboot the router and I get my connection back. The drop can happen right in the middle of surfing or at any time. No specific activity on my part precedes it.

Collapse -
Please make your post a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2007 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Bob

This way it's yours...

Collapse -
Let me guess your problem, assume...
by satishkhode / October 1, 2007 4:02 AM PDT

1. the internet conncetion need user name and password
2. the cable modem is connected to a router.
possibly.. your router WAN side hase timeout setting(idle timeout) or connect on demand something like that. Usually it is not the problem if your service provider reponse your connection request fast enough.
1. the internet conncetion need user name and password
2. the cable modem is directly connected to computer.
possibly... something about the setting in your Login script (PPPoE), check it.

A simple test procedure may help you to sure the internet connection is stable.
1. Make sure you connect to the internet
2. Open the Command Prompt
3. In the Command prompt window, type the following command ..
4. ping -t
5. if you always get Reply from .... all the time, then your internet connection is good and you need to find another solution for your problem.
6. if most of the time you gets Request timed out ..., then please call service.

Collapse -
does not apply?
by Tsee-19680310699050978815 / October 5, 2007 9:52 AM PDT

I have to set a username/pwd for the router setup, but everyday tasks don't need a login script. When I turn on the computer, it goes online. There's no PPPoE scripts afaik (although is there a way to check?). I always get Reply from ....

Collapse -
Looks like no problem...
by satishkhode / October 5, 2007 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: does not apply?

The username/pwd for the reouter setup is security, the PPPoE is in your router WAN side (it should be fine if you can online).

From your very very first posting, you encounter internet termination after a while, please check if your router has time out setting ? if your PING is ok, then the internet is under good working, I do not see anything wrong.

Do all your computers are having the same problem or not? If NOT, then reset the iexplorer to DEFAULT in the problem computer, else try to connect ONYL ONE computer to the DSL modem and connect to internet, if same problem, big chance is your ISP, let them check the line and DSL modem.

Go to the URL below to test your intertnet connection as well as speed...

Since I do not have detail settings, that is all I can help

Collapse -
no timeout setting on router
by Tsee-19680310699050978815 / October 6, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

no timeout setting on router. There's only 1 pc connected to the router. Bandwidth tests always report glowing results (2880/727).

Collapse -
DSL signal dropping, Westel 327W modem...
by ardium34 / November 21, 2011 10:03 PM PST

Plagued with this extremely frustrating problem for months. Running Win 7 and had 'Desktop Gadget Gallery' item installed, 'Weather' - running on desktop. Finally happened to notice that every time the temperature changed, the signal immediately dropped. Had to re-boot every time to get signal back. This always worked, but not for long.
Disabled this weather 'gadget'...has NOT dropped once since! This finally solved the problem!
Hope this works for you...if you are using this weather 'gadget.'

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.