Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Intermittent internet connection

by gbeach / January 3, 2006 3:48 AM PST

I have a broadband connection via a Netgear DG834G wireless router and up until a few weeks ago everything worked perfectly. However, I've now started to experience problems connecting to any website I try and I have to repeatedly refresh it until it loads (my email is the same and things like Real Player also won't connect to the web).

I haven't changed any settings etc. myself and I have Norton Internet Security, MS AntiSpyware and Ad-Aware installed - all of which find no problems.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks very much in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intermittent internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intermittent internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you're behind a router. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 3, 2006 9:24 PM PST

you're safe to start disabling things. I'd disable Norton and give it a test. If no joy, then disable MS Antispyware.

Collapse -
OK, I'll give that a try
by gbeach / January 3, 2006 11:19 PM PST

Thanks very much.

Collapse -
Intermittent ISP service
by sauna6 / January 15, 2006 9:47 PM PST

** Also, you may be one of us millions of consumers who are at the mercy of a monopoly ISP. In a fast growing suburb or town, the net may become congested very quickly, but the ISP cares for only bigger business than the last guy at the end of the street.

>> I'd like to know if there is any software that can measure the internet connection uptime for a week or for a month, as seen at my DSL modem / router. A 10 sec time resolution is enough.
With such backup information at hand, one can do a stronger complaint to the ISP. I'd pay money for such a little program.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Look for a firmware upgrade also
by Alan Copeland / January 15, 2006 10:10 PM PST
Collapse -
dont think its your software
by YambaG / January 17, 2006 2:24 PM PST

dont think its the software if it was blocking it as norton tends to do it would block it it entirely when its out try going to a command prompt(start,run,cmd or command depending on which windows version) and type ping if you get a reply and your browser cant connect then its a software issue otherwise my guess would be its a wireless issue try plugging a cable into your router and see if its still intermittent

Collapse -
intermittent ISP
by sauna6 / January 17, 2006 11:42 PM PST

> in my case, I often ping Yahoo, in order to verify where the problem lies, and when the net is down, the ping will not go through. So I'm convinced that the connection to ISP just is intermittent. Using cable instead of WLAN, gives the same results.
> there is professional SW to measure uptimes in networks, to verify if ISP fulfils the SLA, but I have not found anything for a consumer. Has anybody heard of such a (free) program?

Collapse -
re: Intermittent internet connection
by rricha74 / January 27, 2006 4:47 AM PST

I have a similar set-up using DG834G router and within the last week I am also suffering from having to constantly refresh webpages.
I am on Tiscali and the help-desk has been anything apart from helpful!

Collapse -
Same problem
by tapcin / February 8, 2006 7:43 AM PST

I, too, am on Tiscali and have exactly the same problem, as of about three weeks ago, prior to which all was working fine. It is also a DG834G, with my wife's machine hardwaired, and mine on a wireless link.
As was previously mentioned, the Tiscali halp desk is not, they don't even reply to emails. I do, however, live out in the sticks, and it could be that the local exchange is being overloaded as more and more villages get Broadband. I have twice tried top update the driver for the DG, but each time, they have crashed, and I've had to revert to the original CD, now two years old. Could it be that the the Netgear devices are programmed to die after a certain length of time? Happy Wouldn't be the first company to do it.

Collapse -
by rricha74 / February 8, 2006 2:47 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem

Try using the Tiscali modem in lieu of the Router and see if you have the same problems - for me this did not solve the issue.

I eventually threatened to cancel my subscription to Tiscali, which they could not understand! I just told them I was not prepared to pay for a service which did not work - regardless if they told me all the problems were at my end.

They then offered to contact BT to try and resolve the fault, this did not work the first time. So I again suggested they went back to BT and requested them to check again.

About a week later they called to say BT had found a fault, I rebooted the router and all has been fine ever since!

You have to be very tough with their non-help desk! Subsequently I have upgraded the firmware - but this has not changed anything - there was nothing wronf with the original one

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Tiscali USB Modem
by tapcin / February 8, 2006 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: TISCALI

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried the Tiscali modem 'cos I can't find it, but I borrowed one off my son, and that was just the same. What puzzles me about your reply is:- How do you get hold of Tiscali "Help" desk long enough to be of use? Happy Thanks again, NicJ

Collapse -
Tiscali Help Desk
by rricha74 / February 9, 2006 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: Tiscali USB Modem

The only method I had was to demand there name - First and Surname and which call centre they were working in, they will resist at first but just be polite and eventually you will get there.

Then tell them as they are unable to help you will name them personally in your letter of cancellation - at this point there attitude normally changes.

I just insisted that I had tried with two different modems (router + USB one) and with two different computers - running different anti-virus and firewall programs. Therefore the fault must be with the service provided by Tiscali, after about 20 mins they eventually concede and then I insisted they log this as a fault with BT. They then give BT 48 hours to resolve the siutation. They may or may not be able to give you a BT reference number, but always ask for the Tiscali reference number. This means that you have some recourse if they dont do what they say they will do

Good Luck - it was damm frustrating

Collapse -
Frustrating Indeed!
by tapcin / February 10, 2006 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Tiscali Help Desk

Thanks for the warning: I was on the 'phone to them for 24minutes and 44 seconds, most of which was "while they checked the line" and as it is an 0870 number, they are making good money. They have, however, "escalated" the problem, and are going to have BT check out the line quality. They will call me back within 48 hours, to find out if there is an improvement. So, thanks for your help; I just need to get a hook into Microsoft's even more useless "support" system, and I will be a happy bunny. Thanks again, Nic J.

Collapse -
It continues
by rricha74 / February 10, 2006 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Frustrating Indeed!

After Tiscali first checked my line with BT they came back and said there was no fault, but my system was still not working correctly.
It was only after they raised a second fault call (well they said they made the first call to BT) with BT that the line problems went away.
Every call to their non-helpdesk lasts for about 20 to 30 minutes, I asked them to refund the cost of my calls in full (as my telephone is with them too) as the problem was entirely down to them. The girl on the end of the phone claimed not to understand - I was too pi55ed off by that stage, so did not persue it!
What problems do you have with Microsoft?

Collapse -
Microdoft sucks sewers!
by tapcin / February 10, 2006 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: It continues

Slight exaggeration, but only slight. I had Autoroute 2006 as a Chrim present from my wife, and plotted various routes for our holiday in May. After a while, I noticed a small problem - if I put my postcade in, which I have done without problems in previous incarnations, it puts me 12.4 miles away from my home address. I thought I could work round it, but it became increasingly irritating, so I reported it through the Autoroute program (send map feedback), and got an email days later, inviting me to call them about, on, oddly enough, an 0870 number. I used it, and the guy couldn't undestand what I was on about, so he promised someone would call me back. Surprise - nothing. So, I replied by email, and then got an email saying they had tried to contact me n times, but they were lying. Laughingly, at the bottom of the email it said (cut and paste from the email): We pride ourselves at Microsoft on delivering an excellent service and we trust that you are Very Satisfied with the service you have received. If you have any feedback about my work or your support experience, please send your comments and suggestions to my manager and the UK Management team by e-mailing subject=Attention_of_Brian_Fallon
So I contacted him. Still nothing. Sorry about the longevity of the letter, but I am getting pig sick of chucking good money after bad.
New motto, if you can't get from anyone but Microsoft, learn to program and write it yourself!
Cheers, Nic

Collapse -
i've had the same problem with a BT line ISP Onetel
by Walter Carrasco / March 18, 2006 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: It continues problem continues and it will be 9 weeks this Wed since I first reported it. BT have been out to the house 5 times. Nothing they do stops the wireless service and occasionally the modem dropping out at around sunset each weekday and nearly all day sunday. I am wondering if anyone knows whether a 2-way radio system located a few doors up might be the cause//the radio interferes with the TV at night, too but only the TV with a small inside aerial. I am at a loss as to how this can be fixed. I have a netgear wreless.

Collapse -
Intermittent internet connection
by tapcin / March 19, 2006 9:08 PM PST

Hi, there. There is nothing more certain than that the Radio could be causing the interference. Especially, the cheaper ones are almost certainly spreading their signal over a huge range of bandwidth, but, of course, only when they are operating. I used to do Tech Support for a Compuiter company, and two of our worst nightmares were a little-used airfield, where the radar was switched on asbout once a week, causing all sorts of havoc, and the other was an illegal Black Cab company; you can imagine the fun we had elimintaing problems. I don't know what you can do about it, except check the quality of the two way radios; you could also buy a WiFi finder; I just got a Kensington one off eBay for about a tenner, and it's surprising what you can find! Hope this helps a little, Nic Jamin

Collapse -
Found a solution it will work 100% of the time
by cpoteet / December 3, 2007 10:29 AM PST

go to windows Update look for the link to reinstall Internet Explorer 7 with SP2. reinstall, then when it asks if you want to keep your existing settings click no.. I have been plegged with this problem for more than 6 months.. it didn't bother me at first. But as it got worse I started to look for solutions, first i tried to upgrade fro IE 6 to 7 and that didn't work, i then replaced my NIC card and that didn't work, I uninstalled my virus software adn that work some what but i did ultimately loose internet connectivity. I think the last thing i did was to uninstall all of my applications I don't use anymore.. still no help.. I was having problem with my updates installing automatically. so I went to the microsoft website to purchase the windows 2k. and thought i would run the auto update to see if I needed anything and I noticed that a couple of security patches had attempted to auto install several times and always failed. then I saw the IE 7 w/ SP2 and thought i would try it before I purchased the w2K software and it worked like a charm. good luck this should do the trick.. I did this friday and it is monday and I haven't had a problem natha..:) good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.