Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Intermittent Comcast Connection Problems

by cglchef / January 29, 2005 8:25 AM PST

We switched from satellite to Comcast Cable for internet 3 months ago. For the last 4 weeks our service has been out for 3-4 days each week. The first time, the tech came out and said squirrels had eaten the lines and he fixed them. The next week we had to wait 5 days before they came out and it went back on by itself before they came. The next week, the same thing. They came anyway and checked everything, but no problem showed up - because it was working. Now it's out again and they can't come for 2 days again. We replaced the modem and that's not the problem. All the wiring is new. Comcast claims there's no service outabge in the area, it's just us. Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intermittent Comcast Connection Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intermittent Comcast Connection Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Fish / January 30, 2005 11:52 AM PST

Be sure to call your local Comcast billing office to report these outages and get bill adjusted for the time you lose connection.Nothing gets you more service than asking for billing adjustment.I have done this twice .It got me a bill reduction and quick repair.

Collapse -
Comcast outages

We had the very same problems about 3 years ago, finally dropped them and got DSL didn't like the speed and went back to Comcast. Then no problem what so ever. I would tell them you want a complete wire replacement from the pole. A new jack and another modem. And tell them when they come this time you also want a tech not just a subcontractor. When they sent someone to install our wireless network the first time I knew more then he did. But didn't have time to be bothered as a family member was ill. And have that tech go over your computer to make sure everything is as it should be, not just phone support. You probably know more then they do.

Collapse -
Comcast Problems
by jmacho / March 11, 2005 12:14 AM PST

I shared the same experience, and continue to live with intermitent outages in the CT area. If you check the Broadband Reports Forum you will find a separate forum just on Comcast outages to give you an idea of the scope of the problem. The problem I found is the Comcast service personnel (don't allow a subcontracter) do not have the proper diagnostic tools to troubleshoot cable modem problems- the box they use can not mimic a DOCIS modem- only signal level, channel availability stuff- but cannot send/recieve packets to determine if the network or wiring is working. The 800 customer service have a few primitive diagnostic tools so when they look at your modem, they tell you it's operational or they can't see it.

Collapse -
weak signal?
by dagger906 / March 11, 2005 1:34 PM PST
In reply to: Comcast Problems

It may be because of weak signal. If you split the line between your TV and modem, connect the modem to Out jack, and not the partial power tap. Also, different ISPs use different modems, which require slightly different signal strength.

Collapse -
cable problem

how is your modem hooked to computer? USB connections are notorious for problems you want a lan connection.

Collapse -
comcast problem
by Pinchprism / March 14, 2005 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: cable problem

I too am having problems with comcast . I've had their service for 2 or 3, years and have had no problems prior to the last four weeks. About 4 weeks ago, my connection became erratic. A technician came and decided that I needed a new modem. This initially seemed to solve the problem, but that same evening the problem resumed. What happens is that in the morning, the service is excellent,very high speed. It begins to deteriorate around 3 PM, and by 4pm, is totally unusable. After 6, I cannot connect at all. Apparently my problem occurs during the periods of high usage, suggesting that the comcast lines in my area do not have the capacity to meet the demands of cumtomerts during the peak hours. My computer is a Mac G5 with oodles of ram. I'm pretty sure that the problem is not with my system, but with com cast. Have any of you had similar problems ? From the previous posts, It would seem unlikely that another call to comcast will solve the problem

Collapse -
Same problem here.
by Tamborski / April 16, 2005 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: comcast problem

I have not been able to access my router ever since the COMCAST outage of 4/12/05.

Today, when I asked a technician if COMCAST was still experiecing problems.

He said NO and suggested I purchase COMAST Home Networking solutions.

Shame on COMCAST

Collapse -
im useing comcast
by Mark5019 / April 16, 2005 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem here.

and my speeds both up and down are great they did have probs last week but there fixed now.
did you try with out your router?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.