Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Interent Speed: Wired vs Wireless?

by singermatt / February 26, 2009 1:11 AM PST

My internet download speed doubles when I bypass my home wireless network and connect directly via Ethernet.

Is this normal and to be expected?

Will replacing/upgrading my wireless card and/or router enable me to get better internet speed wirelessly?

Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505; Card, Wireless, Minicard, DW1500 Multiple Output; Vista

Linksys WRT150N Wireless-N Home Router

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Interent Speed: Wired vs Wireless?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Interent Speed: Wired vs Wireless?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too many variables.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2009 1:33 AM PST

You could have an unsecure wifi or not setup per our forum sticky, interfering signals and "other" issues. Wired will always win.
Bob

Collapse -
It's true.
by myeske2 / February 27, 2009 11:37 AM PST

What the moderator says is true, although I use wireless with an encryption, it still isn't any better then connecting directly with an ethernet wire. Plus it is solid so nothing can really interfere with it.

Collapse -
What kind of connection do you have to internet?
by Mark Schenkel / March 10, 2009 3:38 AM PDT

This really boils down to where the bottleneck is occurring. It sounds like you may have everything working, and have a very good connection to the internet (i.e. into your wireless router). In this case the bottle neck is simply the speed of your wireless. As the others have said, a wired connection will always be better.

Collapse -
Internet Connection is Comcast
by singermatt / March 10, 2009 4:57 AM PDT

Comcast is my internet provider. I live in a brand new building so I assume the wiring in the building is good. The testing I've done while connected with a wire show the speeds consistantly exceeding what Comcast says I should have. Its probably the wireless setup slowing things down.

I want to wait a while before replacing the router until I replace the laptop which I expect to do in about a year (Windows 7?). In the mean time I have reconfigured things a bit so I am wired while at my desk (majority of the time) and using the wireless when I decide to work in another area.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.