Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Interactive services detection

by cag8f / January 2, 2011 8:36 AM PST

I am trying to send a message from my Win XP Pro 32 bit machine to my Win 7 Pro 64 bit machine. However Interactive Services Detection is holding up the message until I respond to a prompt (Something like "Do you want to view the message?"). But when I disable Interactive Services Detection on the Win 7 machine, I don't receive the message at all. Is there a way to receive the intended message, but without the Interactive Services Detection prompt?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Interactive services detection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Interactive services detection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 9:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by cag8f / January 2, 2011 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

I saw that post, but didn't quite understand what the one poster was saying about Win 7. In discussing interactive services detection, he says, "In Win 7 you won't see anything cause it is blocked." Both that statement, and the one you quoted ("Microsoft no longer permits services running under System to interact with users.") imply that I should not be able to display a message on my Win 7 machine from my XP machine *at all.* But in practice that is not entirely true. I *can* display a message on the Win 7 machine, I just need to go through a Windows prompt beforehand (the interactive services detection prompt). I am trying to display the message without any Windows prompt.

If I cannot display my message without any Windows prompt, as a Windows novice, is there any way I can get around this? I basically want to transmit a "yes" or "no" to my Win 7 machine from my XP machine.

Collapse -
I have to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Even if you could, you would have found a security glitch and they would fix it later.

The article is a bit short so I left it as-is and hoped to hear more about your apps that you are sending and receiving messages.

Bob

Collapse -
Still unclear
by cag8f / January 2, 2011 1:13 PM PST
In reply to: I have to write no.

I'm still a little unclear. Are you saying there is absolutely no way to send a message to my Win 7 machine, or no way to send a message *without a Windows prompt?*

From my Win XP machine, I am using psexec to run a simple exe on my Win 7 machine. The exe (housed on the Win 7 machine and which I created with autoit) displays a dialogue box with some text and a button that reads "OK." When I run the exe via psexec, I get the interactive services detection prompt. After I answer affirmatively to its prompts, I then see the dialogue box in question.

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 1:29 PM PST
In reply to: Still unclear
Collapse -
Yes that's me
by cag8f / January 2, 2011 3:17 PM PST
In reply to: Ahh.

Thanks for your help. This problem is related, but not exactly the same as my other post.

1. I know I sent (and received) the message. I was just trying to ascertain whether you were trying to tell me it was not feasible.

2. As I said in the original post, I already tried disabling the interactive services detection service. That resulted in no message sent at all, instead of the intended message + interactive services detection prompts.

My goal is to start an application on my desktop (located in a room far far away), walk away from it, and have it send a message to my laptop screen (located right next to me) when finished. Yes I get the message, but not after going through two additional screens due to Windows notifications. I'm merely wondering if I can eliminate those two additional screens. Bear with me as I'm not a Windows black belt.

Collapse -
You're close.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2011 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Yes that's me

So backing up to what you want, a message on screen, did you look at MSG and NET SEND and the discussions about that?

This is why I'd skip all that and just craft my own solution. I would not use any psexec or rsh or such because I would wade directly into the security changes and issues.

http://www.java2s.com/Code/CSharp/Network/SimpleTcpServer.htm is how I'd approach this problem. Now that I have my little server waiting for messages on my selected tcpip port and since that is executing in my own sandbox I would not be running afoul of the new security rules.

--> Let me restate this but be aware that to explain the new security would be a chapter in a book so I have to be shorter than that.
"Microsoft no longer permits services running under System to interact with users." is correct. The interactive services detection is a go between or shim to allow such and not break the rules. <--

Bottomline? I'd use other common methods. The little server is my choice but there are much simpler polling methods that work too.

For example, if the file system is shared a batch file can run and check for the message on the remote message every so many seconds. Fast and easy to write.
Bob

Collapse -
Gotcha
by cag8f / January 3, 2011 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: You're close.

OK I understand now. Thanks for being patient. I will look into the other methods, but I think they may be a bit over my head.

Collapse -
The old file as a message is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2011 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Gotcha

Not hard to do. Even a batch file can do it with an app (I'd use the free visual studio versions to create it) is still something a beginner programmer can do.

The psuedo code looks like

- is there a file called "message.txt"?
- if so, show that file content in a MsgBox()
- if not, sleep then loop.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by cag8f / January 3, 2011 5:43 AM PST

It appears that msg.exe will do what I want, but I'll keep your ideas in mind.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.