Computer Help forum

Question

Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver

by msdkjbast / August 3, 2013 11:41 AM PDT

I have a SONY VAIO 2011 laptop and have been receiving for a while the messe, "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered." My screen freezes for 1-3 minutes. I did a driver manager test and am told I have drivers that are out of date. I am prompted to buy new software, which I do not want to do.
Are there any other solutions out there?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yep.
by mchainmchain / August 3, 2013 10:19 PM PDT

But you must make sure the site you are about to visit is selected only for the exact model of your notebook. What's provided is only a start for you as the exact model is not given here.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCEG1BFX&LOC=3#/downloadTab

I'd also make sure to create a System Restore point before beginning, as sometimes a driver upgrade does not work well, or at all.

While there, you can update the other drivers, but be sure to reboot after installing each one. In other words, install one new driver at a time; do not install all at once. Recipe for certain trouble if you do it that way.

Always only go to the vendor's site (Sony) for driver updates and nowhere else. Hint: Leave the BIOS update alone (you likely do not need it). Google BIOS UPDATING PROBLEMS as to why you should only do this only if it is required.

Collapse -
by msdkjbast / August 4, 2013 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep.

I've gone to the Sony site and followed your instructions. I do not see which download tab for my issue I have to select. There are so many and not one mentions "Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver". Can you help me with a bit more detail?
Thank you much.

Collapse -
Re : Download Tab
by mchainmchain / August 4, 2013 7:21 PM PDT

If you are seeing what I see, then the Download Tab is already selected when you click the link I gave you.

All you would have to do is scroll down to ->VIDEO and click that. The VIDEO category will open and you will see the video driver available to download.

Here's the catch: Vendor page may not be on the specific model you have, so you must make sure that the page you are on is specific to your model number.

Go to the link above and look for this information below:

To do that, look for: VAIO® Computer Notebook>Model # VPCEG1BFX | change model... and click >change model if not the same model number you have. Enter the correct model number.

Vendor page will now update to the correct specific software for your notebook.

Why did you run this? "I did a driver manager test and am told I have drivers that are out of date" Where did you get the driver manager program from? Is this the program that says you must pay for needed drivers? (Hint: This could be a malicious or unwanted program, as Bob Proffitt says)

Why pay when Sony support is free, drivers included?

The only reason I did not give you the correct Sony page is because the specific model number is still missing.

Collapse -
by msdkjbast / August 5, 2013 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re : Download Tab

My model is VPC-EB13FX/BIC

I've downloaded updates to drivers from Sony's site. What about a malware update?

Collapse -
Thank you
by mchainmchain / August 5, 2013 6:44 PM PDT

Is your computer running better? In our business, the exact model number matters. Yours was different from the linked page given, so it is good that you got what you needed for your computer.

Don't think it is a malware update you are looking for, but rather it is an antimalware or antispyware program. These sort of programs differ from antivirus programs in that they look for other things than the traditional antivirus programs do. When used together, they complement each other, and when nothing is detected by either, one can be reasonably sure their system is clean.

Grif has some malware scanning programs here: http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html

At this point it is likely you do not need to download and run Rkill. Rkill is used for stubborn malware programs and processes that will not terminate normally using Task Manager so they can then be removed.

You can run both Malwarebytes or SUPERAntispyware and see if you are infected with anything. Suggest quarantining first and then deleting anything found. Quarantining allows you to restore a file that turns out later to be clean, deleting a file is permanent and the file can never be recovered.

Strongly suggest installing and running this add-on for your browser(s): https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox You will get protection you did not know you needed. Works in other browsers as well.

As you have found out, it is always better to go directly to (any) the vendor's site to get what you may need.

Don't be surprised if either program nails your driver manager program, esp. if it is not from SONY.

For safer surfing, consider this add-on: http://www.mywot.com/

Collapse -
I count five driver updates
by mchainmchain / August 5, 2013 7:00 PM PDT

Which one did you use?

Collapse -
Answer
What is prompting for the "buy"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2013 5:43 AM PDT

Here I can go to the Sony site or the Intel site and the drivers are free to fetch.

My guess is that some spyware or malware has invaded this PC.
Bob

Collapse -
by msdkjbast / August 4, 2013 12:25 PM PDT

Bob,

I've checked the Sony site and can't find the drivers that you say are free to fetch. Can you help with a bit more detail?
Many thanks,

Mike

Collapse -
No but you could try Intel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2013 3:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Update
by iubjaved / August 4, 2013 1:32 PM PDT

Uninstall your display driver, Reboot. Search and download the latest driver from vendors website or use ''driver reviver'' to search it for you. Install the driver and reboot your pc. Hope this fix your problem

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) As posted twice, scan for malware
by glb613 / August 4, 2013 8:17 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.