Windows 8 forum

Question

instructions for backup, deleting W8 and installing W7

by swramsay / June 12, 2013 11:47 PM PDT

I bought windows 7 so I can get rid of windows 8. Is there one place I can go for instructions for backup, deleting W8 and installing W7? I am not very techie these days so easily understandable is needed. thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: instructions for backup, deleting W8 and installing W7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: instructions for backup, deleting W8 and installing W7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Before proceeding, try Classic Start
by wpgwpg / June 13, 2013 12:26 AM PDT

Trying to downgrade is fraught with peril because you may not have compatible BIOS and drivers. Before proceeding with this, download and install Classic Start and see if you aren't satisfied with it. It will give you the classic Start button and menu that we have in earlier versions of Windows 8. I'm no fan of Windows 8, but Classic Start removes most of the objections most folks have and can save you from the dangerous pursuit of trying to downgrade.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
It's a trap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 3:30 AM PDT

Before you do this not only must you find all the drivers but the HELPER APPLICATIONS for this machine. On laptops this becomes very hard on those new to installing windows from scratch. Only the maker will have these helper apps.

-> But that's not the big trap. The biggest trap is if your machine has UEFI and secure boot. Since you didn't supply make and model number, I can't check to see if there is a way to get out of that trap.

Finally, Classic Start is your best ticket and far cheaper. I had my reservations too but that's what I'm doing and it's very good and addresses most of my concerns.
Bob

Collapse -
inspiron 660, windows 8 Home 64
by swramsay / June 14, 2013 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a trap.

This is the system I have. I called Dell and they gave me a website to download the drivers for win 7 (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/ServiceTag/DGC0GX1?s=biz&~ck=mn). I have had so many problems with win8 and email etc costing me much time and aggravation. I am hesitant to attempt installing win7. I don't have the time to invest hours and days into this. I bought a new computer with win8 last November to make it easier for me and save me time. This has been a great expense for me in several ways. I have a choice...continue being frustrated and dissatisfied or take the plunge and start from scratch.

Collapse -
Install Classic Start and WLM
by wpgwpg / June 14, 2013 9:27 AM PDT

If you install the free Classic Start, Windows will look and work very much like Windows 7. For email you can download and install Windows Live Mail for free from the MS web site and have the same email you'd have with Windows 7. This is much easier, simpler, cheaper, and safer than trying to downgrade a computer that was designed to run Windows 8.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
classic start and pdf files
by swramsay / June 14, 2013 10:59 AM PDT

Alright I'll try it. Is there a program to open, view, edit, print etc pdf files? I do not like how win 8 handles pdf files at all. This is one of the programs that drives me nuts.

Collapse -
Adobe Acrobat Reader & Foxit
by wpgwpg / June 14, 2013 11:13 AM PDT

Both will handle PDF files. In fact in desktop mode just about anything that runs under Windows 7 will run on Windows 8. It's just those silly new metro mode apps that're childish, silly, and buggy. Stick with desktop mode, and you'll have few if any problems. Classic Start will always boot to desktop mode.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Right out of the box I could view PDFs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2013 11:16 AM PDT

So that's odd to read. After Adobe updated I could print PDFs. But because I don't care for Adobe's update treadmill I installed foxit.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.