Computer Newbies

General discussion

Instant CD/DVD

by lethal57 / November 5, 2007 8:50 AM PST

Hi People,

I would really appreciate some guidance. I recently had a montherboard 'meltdown' (corroded a capacitor or something) on a 5 year old PC. I replaced the m/board, CPU, RAM & Graphics. Now running MS Windows XP SP2, Intel Core2 Duo CPU, 2 GB RAM (DDR2) & a Nvidia GEForce 8600GT.

When the 'meltdown' occured it also corrupted a number of valuable files which had been backed up at the time of a recent/prior Hard disk replacement. Unfortunately I moved them back to the new drive at this (prior) time, whereas I should have copied them back!!

Accordingly the last backup I have was made using Instant cd/dvd V6.5.
I have downloaded the latest version (8.0), and when using this to open the backup (on DVD), I encounter an error which reads:
'access violation at address 00000000. read of address 00000000'...can anyone guide me to correct this, or at least identify this?
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Instant CD/DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Instant CD/DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Checked The Pinnacle Site Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 9:20 AM PST
In reply to: Instant CD/DVD
Collapse -
Instant CD/DVD
by lethal57 / November 5, 2007 12:55 PM PST

Hi Grif,

Thanks for your interest. Yes I have checked their site and made contact with them, only to be advised they no longer support it.
Quite an unhelpful response.
I have also 'googled' the error to no avail....

Looking forward to any assistance/advice.

regards

Collapse -
So You Can't Reinstall The Older Version?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Instant CD/DVD

The error message you've posted is generally the result of a program issue. (There are quite a few Google hits for your error message but none are specific to your program type.) Uninstalling the new and reinstalling the old might solve your problem if you've still go the installer for the old version. If you don't have a copy of the old version, then I would uninstall the new program completely, the try reinstalling it.. It may be an issue with the new version.. Unfortunately, if the program doesn't work as advertised and they won't support it, I'm not sure what good it is.

It may also be the "moved" files are corrupted.. Did you make hard copies of the backed up files to a DVD or CD?

Personally, I don't use "backup" types of programs because of your exact problem.. Instead, I burn simple copies of all my files to discs and to external hard drives (copies of copies) so they're easy to restore.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Instant CD/DVD
by lethal57 / November 6, 2007 6:03 PM PST

Hi Grif, thanks for the follow up.

Yes I saw the plethora of google responses...and got quite tied up....and thought 'their must be a better way'.

I have a copy of the old version, and it doesnt install completely as...I have misplaced the serial number required to compete installation (havent used, or need to use for some years).

I will try however, uninstalling and reinstalling the newer version (as you suggest).

Pinnacle wont support it due to its age (3-4 years), but at the end of the day it is theirs and a poor reflection.
I have also tried their forums (a work in progress).

The dvd I am trying to get going (created by instant cd/dvd is a backup of the data 1 year old, that I lost recently. Wont make the same mistake again, as I have (as mentioned) an external HDD, which I will use for non-compressed backups going forward.

Again...thanks for the interest.

regards

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.