Windows Legacy OS forum

installing XP updates oneself

by Garyhart3 / March 25, 2013 1:07 AM PDT

I am in the habit of reformatting my hard drive when problems become so bad that it seems to be the best solution. However, with Microsoft discontinuing support, I have a potential problem with that action looming in the near future.
Can I save all the XP updates on a disc or a partition to install myself when I next reformat my hard drive? If I can save them, how do I install them?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing XP updates oneself
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing XP updates oneself
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 1:15 AM PDT

But as there are over 200 updates to collect, you can either google if anyone has done this for you or just figure it out.

That is, backup an image of your installed OS working so you don't have to.

So you have your 200 updates you collected. Most are just .exe and .msi files so you run them one by one until done.

Since the support didn't mean they would turn off Windows Update, why are you going to do all this?

Collapse -
I thought the end of support would mean the end of updates
by Garyhart3 / March 26, 2013 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

Thank you, Bob. I believed that the end of support for XP also meant the end of regular updates as well as the ease of getting those updates for an XP installation. As it currently stands, I had trouble getting the updates during my last two installations. I still don't believe that I have every update I need as it seems to be not working well. 2014 isn't even here yet!
I realize that some updates are exe files, that require activation on my part. However, I was wondering if all those Windows updates in the Windows folder would be effective if I copied them to another disk and then pasted them to the Windows folder when I reinstall XP?

Collapse -
Re: Windows updates
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 12:05 AM PDT

What do you mean with "all those Windows updates in the Windows folder"? I've never seen such a thing.

The answer, most likely, is "no, they wouldn't be effective". But it would be nice if you could make me understand your question.

Collapse -
" as it seems to be not working well. "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 12:34 AM PDT

Ahh, maybe there is some other issue?

I've encountered a few folk that thought their setup was out of date because XP wasn't working right.

How do you tell them this OS does have issues that were never tamed?

Collapse -
What I'd do is make a fresh install backup
by wpgwpg / March 25, 2013 1:24 AM PDT

Here's what I'd do. When you make a fresh install of XP, install SP1, SP2 and SP3, then install the rest of the updates. Then before doing anything else, I'd make a full system backup (or two) to an external hard drive using something like Norton Ghost or Easeus Todo Backup free. After that you could just restore from that external backup and save yourself a lot of extra work whenever you need a refresh of Windows. You can download Easeus Todo Backup Free from . I have to add though that if it were really me, I'd take the plunge to Windows 7.

Good luck.

Collapse -
To Download & Install Each Separate Update
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 2:51 AM PDT

...Find the Knowledgebase Number, type it into Google, and you can then navigate to the offline installation file for each update.. It's fairly time consuming, but you can manually download each file, save it to disc and when ready, simply double click on the file to install the update..

For example, regarding the latest/March 2013 Internet Explorer 8 "cumulative update" for Windows XP, the KnowledgeBase number is "KB2809289" and typing it into Google comes up with the information at the link below:

Google Search for "KB2809289"

The first link in the search takes you directly to the technical bulletin information site for the update.

Choose the link for shortcut link "IT Professionals" in the article and you'll go to the actual technical bulletin where the downloads are located..

Scroll through the various downloads for your version of Windows and Internet Explorer, and clicking on the link for XP/IE8 takes you to the download site below:

Download the file to your desktop and double click on it to install it, assuming you don't have it installed already.. Since this is the latest version of the "Cumulative Updates" for IE, you don't have to download all the previous IE updates of this type..

To update all of the updates necessary after Service Pack 3 of XP, it will take a while, but they can be saved to a DVD, or some other type of removal media.. In my situation, because quite a few of our computers were offline, or had horribly slow connections, I performed these steps monthly to keep the machines up to date.. As such, I saved them all for later use if necessary.. It's less time consuming to save those file a little at a time than to do it all at once, but the procedure is the same.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
As Bob Said
by Jimmy Greystone / March 25, 2013 5:08 AM PDT

As Bob said, end of support just means there won't necessarily be new updates and Microsoft will stop making sure major programs like MS Office work with XP. Existing updates will continue to be available indefinitely. I believe you can still get the Win95a update from Microsoft's website if you really wanted it. At some point Microsoft may remove these things, but it will not be at the same time XP reaches EOL status. Pretty sure NT4 support is still alive and well on Windows Update -- I'll bet there's someone at Microsoft who is amused every time the server logs show someone downloading NT4 updates -- so you'd expect that to be among the first to go. Then Windows 2000, and XP following after that. Each one probably separated by a couple of years.

Long story short: You're worried about nothing.

Collapse -
DOS example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: As Bob Said
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.