Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing XP on netbook from flash drive

by jrod01210 / January 8, 2011 3:35 PM PST

I followed the steps from this how to I have everything added to the flash drive as it shows on the how to. When I try to go to txt mode it says "To set up windows XP now, press enter" I do. It then says "setup has recognized the following mass storage devices in your computers: <none>" I press enter to continue. Then it shows me the partitioned space on the computer. I have one partitioned space, partition1 [fat] and no unpartitioned space. When I press c to create a new partition nothing happens, when I try to delete the partition it says "setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation." I press enter to continue. It takes be back to the previous screen, now if i press enter to set up windows xp on the selected item it get two options Covert the partition to NTFS and leave the current file system intact <no changes>. If I choose the convert option it says that "Setup has determined that drive U: is corrupted and cannot be repaired. Setup cannot continue. If I choose the no changes option it says the same thing.

Now for a little back ground. This is a gateway netbook lt20 that was running windows XP home edition and this is what i am trying to reinstall. It has no CD drive. Windows is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled. I do not care if I lose anything on the computer i just want it to work again.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing XP on netbook from flash drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing XP on netbook from flash drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Much more simple to use an external drive
by lacsr / January 8, 2011 9:08 PM PST

However, looking at the linked pages from the first post, I see this:

"Setup will load as normal, but there is one catch that you need to be aware of here. If you are formatting your hard drive and creating a new partition, you will need to turn off the computer immediately after the partition has been formatted (before Windows starts copying files over). Turn the system back on, boot back into TXT mode then direct Windows to leave the current file system intact. This is done because the flash drive can't copy to the new partition unless the computer is restarted and the flash drive is allowed to recognize the new partition. Strange, yes, but that's just how it works. If you aren't creating a new partition, then just carry on as usual."

From what you describe, it sounds as though the setup is looking at the USB flash drive to try the install instead of the hard drive.

Collapse -
Step-by-Step video
by skullman2011 / March 1, 2011 11:34 AM PST
Collapse -
Possible fix
by Dm2017 / March 1, 2011 2:15 PM PST

I had this problem as well. I wouldnt of had touched any other drives by the way. The fix i found was, xp didnt have the drivers required for the sata hard drive. You will need to find out what kind of drivers are required and then slipstream them into your install of xp. Search google for "slip streaming sata drivers to
Winxp" i dont have a direct link at the moment. Once i did this it had no problem installing.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.