Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Installing XP on Acer AspireOne D255 Netbook...

by tremblinglight / September 5, 2011 9:31 AM PDT

Hi, everybody. Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing XP on Acer AspireOne D255 Netbook...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing XP on Acer AspireOne D255 Netbook...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
error windows
by jubair13 / September 18, 2011 2:37 PM PDT

when i will go to install windows xp then first copy file but next time i saw an error blue display shown ther

Collapse -
Yes, Windows XP is better but . . .
by LincNeb / December 13, 2011 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: error windows

Windows 7 Starter will be upgreaded by Microsoft after they stop upgrading Windows XP. The Acer D255 I have came with Windows XP and I have another netbook with Windows 7 Starter, I prefer the Windows XP. Before you do anything to change or add operating systems, make a Recovery Disk and a System Backup Disks! This will test your your external DVD burner besides.

You would have to wipe the Windows 7 Starter partition clean, and then install the Windows XP. It should be the one with SP2 or SP3. If worse comes to worse use a Linux live CD and clean out all the partitions start over, with just one big NTFS one, to install Windows XP on. However, after that it may be hard to get the Windows 7 Starter back on the netbook, so you should write down the orginal partition sizes, etc. to be able to reinstall them.

Windows 7 Starter is bloatware compared to Windows XP. You should upgrade your netbook to 2 GB wtih the Windows Starter system, there are YouTube videos out there to show you how to install the RAM. My model of of the D255 this would not be a fun task, but if I had Windows 7 Starter on it I would add the RAM. I did that with my other netbook that has Starter on it. Starter will run almost all of the programs that XP will. If you don't need to run the netbook screen and an external monitor at the same time--and I do want to do that myself at times-- I probably think the best idea is to stick with Windows 7 Starter--exen though Windows XP is better.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are problems with this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2011 9:45 AM PDT

The external may have issues reading that old XP CD so duplicate the media and try the duplicate.

You'll also find XP (the one with no SP1 2 or 3) is nothing but trouble on today's machines. You'll need the XP SP2 or later CD or forget it.

Now this may get XP onto the machine but you didn't ask how to get video, audio, wifi to work so while this gets the OS installed many want more.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Once you have that bootup problem figured out....
by fjord_fox / September 18, 2011 5:33 PM PDT

You will need to download the drivers at http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers.

If you decide that it's too hard and time consuming and if you decide to start over and restore Windows 7 back again, just push <Alt> + <F10> repeatedly at bootup until the Acer e-Recovery program starts up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.