Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Installing XP on a Vista Laptop chkdsk /f Error

by aronvorn / January 16, 2011 9:38 AM PST

Evening everyone,

I am installing XP on an HP Pavilion dv4 and run into a chkdsk /f error with the following code

0x0000007B (0xF78D663C, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've run chkdsk /f in vista and ran into no problems and did a /format on the d: drive. I don't want to save any information on the hard drive and don't want to dual boot. Looking for the simplest way to get XP on this laptop.

Thanks in advance!!
Aronvorn

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing XP on a Vista Laptop chkdsk /f Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing XP on a Vista Laptop chkdsk /f Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Installing XP on a Vista Laptop
by dgupt4 / January 16, 2011 10:15 AM PST

Hi, Aronvorn. As a rule, XP would be installed on the C:\ Partition. Windows doesn't like to be installed on any other drive.It usually won't boot from anything but C:\ .Good Luck.

Collapse -
The D:\ drive on an HP is usually the Recovery
by lacsr / January 16, 2011 9:17 PM PST

So it would seem that WinXP did not show the correct choices or there is something left out of the first post.

Collapse -
more info
by aronvorn / January 17, 2011 3:30 AM PST

I am trying to install XP via disk from boot onto the C drive. I run into the error stating I need to run chkdsk /f before I can even get to format via blue screen and setup partitions as usual. So I ran the chkdsk via DOS prompt in vista as administrator. After it was done I did a format on the D: drive to see if it was giving any problems to the install, but it wasn't. Not sure what to do from here. Hope this information helps.

Collapse -
Re: chkdsk error
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: more info

1. Disconnect the d:-drive (essential!)
2. Download and run DBAN. It will totally erase the c:-drive (in fact, all connected drives, that's why stap 1 is essential)
3. Install XP on this now virgin disk.

Kees

Collapse -
Disconnecting the drive?
by aronvorn / January 17, 2011 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: chkdsk error

Hey Kees,

The D: drive is a partition of the one hard drive on the laptop. I have no need to save any data on the laptop nor any need for vista period on it. So can I just boot from the DBAN cd and start fresh with the XP disk when its done?

Thanks,
Aronvorn

Collapse -
Yes, if you don't need any data on d: ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 6:50 AM PST

there's no objection to fully erasing the physical disk.

But I had to warn. People used DBAN thinking it would erase there c:-drive, but - erasing the whole disk - it also took their recovery partition, so they couldn't install the OS from there. That's sad, losing your only copy of the OS.

Kees

Collapse -
Something you said ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 17, 2011 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: more info
"I am trying to install XP via disk from boot onto the C drive."
and
"So I ran the chkdsk via DOS prompt in vista as administrator."

Makes me think that you are attempting to set up a dual boot system with Vista already installed.

If that is correct read the information at this link. There are six pages but since you already have a free partition you can skip to page 3. (BE AWARE THAT YOU NEED TO BOOT FROM THE INSTALLATION CD!!! do not try to install XP from within Vista( -
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm
Collapse -
Clean Install
by dgupt4 / January 17, 2011 11:15 AM PST

Hi, Aronvorn. Follow Kees instructions and you'll be ok. It's called a Clean Install.If you've got a XP OS Disk, you're fine. If you don't have a disk and you've already wiped the whole drive, including your Recovery Partition, why don't you go ahead with Win7? XP's days are numbered anyway.I like XP, grew up on XP and will hang on 'til it's over for XP. Best of Luck to ya'.

Collapse -
Still down
by aronvorn / February 8, 2011 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Clean Install

Hey Kees,

I ran DBAN (which rocks btw) but when I went to install XP it came up with the same error. So since this laptop has had a bunch of problems with the HD before, I bought a new HD and went to install XP on the new one. Well, exact same error. Looking at some of the specs for the laptop, I'm beginning to wonder if XP has issues with the hardware on it. So I have a copy of 7 coming in the mail now and wondered if you had any other ideas as to what could be causing this? I've had no problems installing XP on my desktops that have x64 processors but this laptop my just be quirky. Sorry for such a long delay, works been crazy for the past couple weeks. Thanks again for all your help, if I don't get this laptop running, at least I will have walked away with a new program to add to my inventory.

Collapse -
I read this thread and wonder if this is the old XP SATA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2011 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Still down

Can you tell us if you know the old XP install to a SATA drive issue?
And did you research that?
Bob

Collapse -
by dgupt4 / February 8, 2011 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Still down

Hi, Aronvorn. Sometimes you have to just let a problem go if there is no solution found. That's what I would do being as you have W7 coming and have a new drive installed.Generally, new drives come setup and ready to go but sometimes you have to format them so they will accept new data. I would go ahead and do a format and then try the W7 when you get it.If all else fails, I would try a new processor and or motherboard. If the rest of the PC is in good shape you will still come out ok by doing the work yourself. Best of luck to ya'. ps Support.microsoft.com is a good site to try for tough problems.

Collapse -
by dgupt4 / February 8, 2011 7:41 AM PST

p.s.s. "Ask Leo.com" rocks also!

Collapse -
Installing xp on Laptop chkdsk/f Error
by Tanzya / June 21, 2013 1:09 AM PDT

I am installing on Dell laptop and i don't know where is solution Plz Help ..

Collapse -
Is there an issue with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 1:20 AM PDT

1. This laptop has a SATA drive?
2. A step that you had trouble with? (see Kees advice)

There were a few ideas kicked around and while it's been years since this post was made, your reply was short as to what area you had an issue with.

The XP to a SATA drive discussion is well done now so let's be sure you have that well read.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: install error
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 1:22 AM PDT

I'd start a new thread, and tell much more details in that.

Things that would be interesting are:
- What model of laptop? How old? What (type of) disk drive in it?
- What OS was on it before this install?
- What version of XP (original, SP1, SP2, SP3)?
- What disk exactly (like: "the original Dell recovery disk that came with this laptop" or "one I downloaded from megaupload")
- Why that install?
- What exactly did you do, what is the exact error message and when does this error message popup?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.