Laptops forum

Resolved Question

installing XP in Acer Aspire one

by nichosi / October 2, 2011 7:30 PM PDT

Made a mess editing boot.ini of my dual-boot Acer Aspire One netbook so that XP boots first & now will not boot in XP, giving error:-

"Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing please re-install a copy".

I cannot install "hall.dll" but, I have XP home on a stick.

1. Can I reinstate the ACER now to manufacturer's condition? or

2. How do I go about reinstalling XP?

Note that it boots in Ubuntu 11.04 OK, but not in XP.

nichosi has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing XP in Acer Aspire one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing XP in Acer Aspire one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by nichosi

Collapse -
I own an Aspire One.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 2:50 AM PDT

To reinstall the OS is done with the external CD and the restore media I made a few years ago. Any other method appears to create issues. My advice is to use the supported reinstall methods.
Bob

Collapse -
by nichosi / October 3, 2011 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: I own an Aspire One.

Thanx,

luckily on the last reboot I noticed a linux menu with 4-5 option, & one was "Acer eRecovery Management" which did the XP installation all on its own giving the option to save & install all files & programs.

Then, I went & installed Ubuntu 11.04 from my USB stick but, & now on boot-up it does not give the XP boot.ini Menu but, the "GNU GRUB" menu with 11 choices for Ubuntu (default) or XP, which is very complicated.

The rub now is how do I change the default to XP?

Any easy way?

Collapse -
How odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 9:22 AM PDT

You fixed it then opted to break it. I'm unsure if you can be helped if you refuse to back your system, make the restore media and then turn around and break the system again.

I see a service counter visit in your future.
Bob

Collapse -
by klein5366 / October 3, 2011 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: How odd.

hi
if you search ubuntu grub2 there is a way to set witch os is booted first. if your the only user it is ok to leave the reinstall entry in grub but if i'm setting it up for some one else i hide recovery so it doesn't get selected by mistake

Collapse -
What I did to avoid all this was
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 9:49 AM PDT

I put Ubuntu on a 4GB USB stick. This way I don't corrupt the installed OS or recovery systems.
Bob

Collapse -
What I did to avoid all this was
by klein5366 / October 3, 2011 11:23 AM PDT

that is one way to do it, to get rid of grub or grub2 all you have to do is boot windows install cd get to the command prompt and tell it to fix mbr in xp, vista it checks all the boot files and fixes it automatically from the vista cd , all grub does is replace the mbr you can back up xp, vista, and win7 mbr before you install grub or grub2 , i like the fact that grub2 picks up the recovery partition on older systems before grub2 you lost the option to reinstall original software, in less you had ghost to reinstall it

Collapse -
Haven't used Ghost in years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2011 1:18 AM PDT

Even since CLONEZILLA arrived, never looked back.

Collapse -
yes i use clonezilla my self
by klein5366 / October 4, 2011 4:06 AM PDT

i only use ghost when dealing with old dells 3000, 4700's to restore the original software that came installed on the machine, i love clonezilla i have one computer that just stores images i do a lot of testing and am always restoring a system if things go side ways. there is only one bad side to clonezilla and that is reinstalling to a different partition or on another hard drive to me it is tricky and long procedure,

Collapse -
SOLVED change Grub boot order
by nichosi / October 4, 2011 5:52 AM PDT

SOLVED by These:-

You can change the default menu entry to boot by either going to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and near the top of the file changing the entry: set default="0" to another number. Count the menuentry lines until you get to xp. Put that number in the set default. Grub counts in this case from zero, so if your xp is the 5tn entry, put a 4 there.

To keep grub with default boot set to XP, you may use the GRUB_DEFAULT option on /etc/default/grub (as already said by yancek) or change the /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober file order.

Then :-
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub ...This brings up grub in editor & change to what ever No. you require. sudo update-grub ..........this in a new terminal updates Grub.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.