Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Installing Windows XP over Windows Vista

by awinn233 / December 10, 2006 11:22 AM PST

I have Windows Vista RC2 installed on my new Gateway laptop and I'm trying to install Windows XP on it. However, when I insert the CD and open the setup it says that I cannot install an older version of Windows over Windows Vista. When I boot from the Windows XP install disc, it says that It cannot locate my hard drive. My hard drive is a Western Digital WD1200BEVS. I don't know what to do. Have any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing Windows XP over Windows Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing Windows XP over Windows Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to remove Vista first...
by John.Wilkinson / December 10, 2006 12:50 PM PST

Microsoft does not support 'downgrading' an operating system, so you will have to erase your hard drive, or at least that partition, before you can install Windows XP on it. The 'hard drive not found' issue adds an interesting twist (I'd blame the Gateway OEM recovery system's design for not being able to handle this situation) but it should be taken care of relatively easily. First, backup all files, favorites, etc. that you want to keep. Second, use DBAN to wipe your hard drive clean. (This will permenantly delete all files on the hard drive, so verify your backups before proceeding.) Once the drive has been erased then try installing Windows XP again from scratch.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
how do i go back to xp
by krypto11 / April 19, 2007 2:43 PM PDT

hi,

i have windows vista on my computer but i want to go back to windows xp, but i cant boot my comp from the xp cd.

how do i go back to xp?

thanks.

Collapse -
What happens?
by John.Wilkinson / April 20, 2007 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: how do i go back to xp

If your computer is going straight to Windows and never giving you the option of booting from CD you may need to access your system BIOS and edit the boot order such that the CD/DVD drive is of the highest priority, while your hard drive is second. Just keep in mind that you can't simply 'downgrade,' so you'll be wiping everything, including any personal files, and starting fresh.

John

Collapse -
doesnt let me boot from cd
by krypto11 / April 20, 2007 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: What happens?

i have already changed the boot order but when i start up my comp with the disk in it never says "to boot from cd press any key" and when i try to install xp from the set up window after vista has loaded it says i cant.

is there any other way.

thanks

Collapse -
See These Steps...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 11:11 AM PDT

As described in other locations of this thread, you may need SATA drivers to get it to install correctly.. But then again, it wasn't necessary when I recently "downgraded" on an XP machine. You haven't describe which brand name you're dealing with PLUS the key to all of this is finding the correct hardware drivers for XP, but the link below should help you get the job done. Without the correct drivers, then machine won't work correctly. It's not really a processes for the faint at heart.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=243153&messageID=2461470#2461470

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
to install XP over Vista on Dell vostro 1700
by Archer_a / December 19, 2007 1:19 AM PST

I could not install XP on the laptop that had Vista pre installed it kept telling me it could not find the hard drive.
I changed the Bios setting for SATA operation from AHCI to ATA and this allowed me to install XP

Collapse -
good reply
by lool75 / August 23, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

You are posting a reply to: to install XP over Vista on Dell vostro 1700
by Archer_a - 12/19/07 9:19 AM

I could not install XP on the laptop that had Vista pre installed it kept telling me it could not find the hard drive.
I changed the Bios setting for SATA operation from AHCI to ATA and this allowed me to install XP.

This reply allowed me to install Windows XP and the Windows Vista is gone lol

Thanks a lot for the helpful reply.

Cheers.

Collapse -
sata setting
by familymandan / February 4, 2009 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: good reply

I have a toshiba Satellite. the bios does not give you the ability to change the sata controller mode. it is set at ahci and no option to change to ati. Now what?

Collapse -
Thoshiba BIOS update
by aboosoft / February 11, 2010 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: sata setting

I've the same Toshiba satellite L510. i'm getting the support for SATA and to desable it too.. try upgrading ur BIOS..

Collapse -
Worked for me...
by hendoo95 / February 14, 2009 6:47 AM PST

I changed the SATA settings in the BIOS to ATA (although I had to disable the flash module to do so... whatever that means or does???) and was able to boot from my XP CD... Thanks for the help/solution!!! Any idea if I'm going to need the flash module???

Peace...

Collapse -
how to find this SATA ACHI
by stefo1 / September 22, 2009 4:41 PM PDT

how can i find this option and what is this plzz urgentt

Collapse -
Problems with HDD not detect when installing XP over Vista
by TrojanHorse99 / September 19, 2008 9:03 PM PDT

Changing the way the SATA controller from the BIOS has worked for me, hasnt been able to work this out for some time. Even third party tools havent been able to format the drive for me, it simply didnt show the hard disks...anyway just changing the settings from the bios has done the job, thanks very much guys!! keep it up..:):)

Collapse -
install XP over Vista on HP Compaq 8510p
by efisher14 / September 30, 2008 6:52 AM PDT

I was able to install Windows XP SP2 32-bit over pre-installed Windows Vista on my HP Compaq 8510p laptop by making a change in the BIOS.

After entering the BIOS, I selected SYSTEM CONFIGURATION; then DEVICE CONFIGURATION; then changed SATA NATIVE MODE from Enable to DISABLE. I placed my XP CD in the drive, rebooted my laptop, pressed any key to boot from the CD, and voila, the hard drive was recognized and I was able to make the necessary selections to begin installing XP SP2.

Collapse -
Yep, Already Mentioned Earlier In This Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 2, 2008 2:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
installing xp over vista
by efisher14 / October 2, 2008 8:35 AM PDT

my customers don't always make my task easy. in this particular instance, i couldn't use the vista cd because my customer didn't supply the vista cd.

Collapse -
HP 550 Won't let me install with purchased XP SP2 CD.
by grimacinglummox / July 27, 2010 1:01 AM PDT

I am trying to get XP Home Edition installed on my HP 550 lap top model number. It has an Intel Celeron processor 2.0ghz 3gb RAM. It had Vista Basic installed on it. I ran deban to erase Vista and now, when I try to install XP from CD I get this message "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or HD controllers. Check your HD to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for HD corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I ran a check HD in BIOS (as this is all I have with an erased HD and it found no issues with the HD. Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this and get XP on this laptop?

Collapse -
Did you chat with HP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2010 1:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Installing Windows XP over Windows Visitation
by WinstonNM / October 21, 2008 3:53 AM PDT

All of this information is very helpful to me. But I don't remember how to get into the BIOS. I seem to recall that one used to have to press one of the function keys while the computer is booting, but I'm not sure about this. If so, which key? Or must I do it some other way?

Thank you,
WinstonNM

Collapse -
It Depends On The Computer/Motherboard...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 21, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

Immediately after starting the computer, generally after the brand name flash screen loads, press the appropriate F key for your manufacturer and model number.. The appropriate key can be F1, F2, F10, Delete, Esc, or a combination of keys. Sometimes, the appropriate "Setup" key is listed on the black post screen during startup. Since you've not told us which computer brand or model, that's the best I can do.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Get to the BIOS using which function key?
by WinstonNM / October 21, 2008 5:01 AM PDT

Grif Thomas,

Thank you very much! Your memessage narrows it down and is a great help.

WinstonNM

Collapse -
Loading Win XP on a Dell with Vista
by jtment / December 22, 2008 9:02 AM PST

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 that came with Vista installed from the factory last year. I am wanting to dump Vista and re-load using Win Xp. After reading various post, it looks as if there are issues with some Dell motherboards not wanting to allow this. Is this true, and if so, are there any ways around this.

Thanks,

John

Collapse -
It's Not So Much The Motherboard As It Is the Drivers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 1:22 PM PST

Drivers for all the hardware devices, including the motherboard, are getting harder and harder to come by.. Some of the mobile computer devices are made without XP drivers.. So before jumping into the water, be sure you've got all the appropriate drivers for your computer hardware.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Help
by tyty121 / March 9, 2009 5:20 PM PDT

Gateway MT6452 Notebook---- S/n t027231001049

I have been trying to install xp onto my vista laptop since vista crashed, I wiped the hd(hitachi) put in my xp cd and it got all the way to where in the bottom left side of the screen it says "setup is starting windows" ( blue normal background for xp installs)
Then it just sits there and sits there. I have been working on this for a week now, any hel would be appreciated =)

Collapse -
bios key
by jnawrocki / September 15, 2009 1:30 AM PDT

It varies by manufacturer: Sometimes F2, sometimes F10, sometimes ESC.
In most cases if you power down your PC and then power it back up, it will put out a message like "Press F2 to enter BIOS setup". You will have to watch carefully as the message will only display for a couple of seconds. You will probably have to power down/up again after you know the correct key.

Collapse -
I cant find that sata options in bios
by ironmaidenicefan / March 18, 2009 9:29 AM PDT

I have laptop l40-17r and i i dont know what to change in my bios.if you know tell me what to do.sorry for the bed english.

Collapse -
great solution
by swomeara / November 4, 2009 12:45 PM PST

cool solution thanks. can you explain what this does?

Collapse -
thanks for the posting
by gnagihs / March 15, 2010 4:00 AM PDT

Thanks for your posting I was able to install XP over Vista. The steps I went through:
1) Powered up computer and immediately press F2 to enter BIOS
2) Changed boot sequence to have "Boot from CD-rom" on top of the list
3) Changed the Flash Cache Mode to "Off"
4) Changed Sata Operation from AHCI (default) to ATA
5) Save the setting and exit bios

Now the system should boot from Windows XP CD. After finish installing XP, went back to re-enable to Flash Cache Mode back to "enabled" or "on" (forgot the exact word).

Collapse -
In my Opinion
by abhishekpalit / May 15, 2010 6:28 AM PDT

Firstly you can't install any earlier Windows version after installing a newer. That's why it is showing "Can't Install".

Collapse -
all i want to do is dump vista and put xp in its place
by doeboy442001 / October 5, 2009 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: What happens?

all i want to do is dump vista and put xp in its place and then never c vista again. can i do that with out doing ahole bunch of crap. im prety good at the pc. i no how to install programs and o/s , i put the xp disk in and it tell me it done c the drive , just like it said on th other guys pc, i read what u said to do , it didnt work so AGAIN i just want to get vist off my laptop and put xp in its place and never c vista again. please help

Collapse -
hello form sumanraj
by suman199012 / September 21, 2008 7:20 PM PDT
In reply to: how do i go back to xp

fist instert the cd of vista and restart your system 15menitet option of patastion information you have to do delete the both patatison and create the new patastion and restat your system insert the xp cd and boot from the cd

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.