Computer Help forum

Installing Windows XP over Windows 7

by Sarashuu / June 22, 2013 7:17 AM PDT

I couldn't boot from the XP CD until I used EasyBCD to delete the Windows 7 boot thingy (something I found googling). After that, I was able to format a drive and then it begins to 'copy files to the windows installation folders'. After this, it prompts to restart. But when I restart and boot from CD (all I can do), I get back to the list of drives to install windows on, with no progress. Any suggestions on how to get past this endless loop?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing Windows XP over Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing Windows XP over Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
You probably need to disable AHCI
by wpgwpg / June 22, 2013 7:23 AM PDT

XP didn't support SATA hard drives prior to the SP3 update, so you probably need to go into your BIOS setup and disable AHCI which will allow your hard drive to run in IDE mode. I assume you've researched and download the XP drivers you'll need because your devices including your network adapter may not work without them.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Can't find AHCI
by Sarashuu / June 22, 2013 7:47 AM PDT

I can't find anything about AHCI in the BIOS. But one thing I've already done is switched OnChip SATA Mode from RAID to IDE.

I didn't have much luck looking for an AMD network adapter, I kind of just gave up and hoped it would work out/maybe find it later.

So any idea why I can't find AHCI anywhere?

Collapse -
It's named/called other things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't find AHCI

Such as and not an all inclusive list:

And it can be buried in some menu. Or in the case of a few machines non-existent since for cost you would remove such features to cut support costs.

To stop an endless support loop always post the make, model and link to the product manual.

Collapse -
amd athlon(tm) 64 processor 3200+
by Sarashuu / June 22, 2013 8:02 AM PDT

amd athlon(tm) 64 processor 3200+

Can't find a manual

I've looked everywhere for the AHCI thing. SATA Mode I've already changed to IDE. I can disable OnChip SATA, should I do that?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 8:12 AM PDT

That's just the CPU.

However there are a lot of UNWRITTEN (well you can find it on the web) rules about installing XP.

Let me toss a few out there.

1. Disable the BIOS's BOOT SECTOR PROTECTION or your XP install can't write there.

Now this one is very interesting to watch the client's face. Some that are a bit green (we fix that by relieving them of some green?) and they don't want to disable any protection settings since they often got here by way of a nasty virus/trojan or other.

2. After the first run of the XP installer is done, I have found XP's installer on some CDs to be flawed.

Well, flawed isn't the right word. This old system demanded you knew to eject the CD at that point so the HDD could boot and continue the install.

3. In closing I think that those old Athlon based computers are worth a lot to my friends in the service industry. Here's why.

Because installing XP is beyond most and it's getting to be lost knowledge my friends in that industry tend to be able to get about 100 USD to install Windows for the client.

All good news for them.

Collapse -
You also need XP SP2 or later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 7:25 AM PDT

While the discussions about XP and SATA are legendary, be sure your CD is XP SP2 as well.

Let's hope you found all the drivers and the install order. Example link follows to show why most folk can't get it to work. They don't have a plan like this.

Collapse -
I don't see anything about SP on the CD/packaging
by Sarashuu / June 22, 2013 7:50 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I don't see anything about SP on the CD/packaging

Collapse -
Could be a grueling install then
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 7:52 AM PDT

I'm not saying it's impossible but I find the original XP to be a course in how bad it was back then. As a seasoned Windows installer you can just plow ahead and hope for the best.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.