How To forum

Installing Software To Windows Server Question

by Doberz / January 26, 2013 2:22 AM PST

I was at an office I'm not familiar with setting up a new PC for them. They asked if I could load their new accounting software on the 2008 Windows server to distribute it to all the PC's in the office. The software came with instructions, but at the first step, it says security levels are too high, you must lower them to install this software. I'm VERY new to servers, so I instantly got confused. Does this mean the servers firewall? Or security policies in AD? I didn't want to trial and error it on a live server during their workday.

If anyone can point me in the right direction so I can read up on it more that would awesome. Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing Software To Windows Server Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing Software To Windows Server Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Such an install would be documented by
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 2:26 AM PST

The company that issued the software. There are no generic methods to use here. You are dealing with 2008 Server which is not like your average desktop PC w/Windows.

Pick up the phone if it's not on the software company's web site on how to install.

But let's get past a common gaffe fast. Installing this on a Server does not mean all the clients can run it. I run into folk that thought that all the time.

Collapse -
But the software can be
by Doberz / January 26, 2013 5:49 AM PST

implemented to all the PC's from the server. It says so in the documentation. I was just wondering if anyone knows what Windows Server means when it says the security levels are too high, and that I must lower them to install. I guess if I can't figure out, I will call the company and ask them if they know what it means. Firewall/group polies?

Collapse -
Again. Back to the maker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 5:57 AM PST

As you didn't supply the title's name or such and the instructions vary for great plains, peachtree, simply account or silk being any of the usual accounting systems noted at it appears you should not go near the server until you are ready to talk to the software's support about this install.

My background includes such software and our title did use a server but installation was specific to our system and what we required does not apply here.

It appears you think you install this on the server and the clients can run it. That's not true for our title. It's likely not true for this one as if it was, it would install without that error.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.