Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Installing new graphics card (bios?) Disable previous card

by jkwilly / July 11, 2006 2:01 AM PDT

Good day,
I will be installing a new graphics card on my Emachines T6524..2gigram/AMD 64 Athlon 3500+/200 gig HD . How do I disable the ATI Radeon xpress 200 for the new graphics card Biostar evga 7600gs 512MB PCI express.

Thanks,
Movin

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing new graphics card (bios?) Disable previous card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing new graphics card (bios?) Disable previous card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Disable
by Darton Fury / July 11, 2006 7:17 AM PDT

You can disable in Device Manager under display adapter. Dbl-click to open its properties. Fastest way to Device Manager; hold down the Windows Logo key and press Pause/Break Key, click Hardware, Device Manager. If not a Windows keyboard, click start, control panel, Performance and Maintenance, System, Hardware, Device Manager.

Collapse -
Disable card
by jkwilly / July 11, 2006 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Disable

thanks, it is alot easier using the device manager

Collapse -
Disabling onboard video in the BIOS in certainly one way
by VAPCMD / July 11, 2006 8:13 AM PDT

Might be a good idea to check the installation instructions provided by new card card mfg.

Sure your PS will support the new card power wise ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Check your BIOS out.
by chrisENJUNSc / July 14, 2006 2:40 AM PDT

Hiya,

I run a low end AGP graphics card which is still an improvement to the on-board graphics both on this motherboard and the previous one.

1-on the earlier motherboard i used to set the BIOS to search for the graphics adaptor from PCI slot first,it would then look for the adaptor; first PCI,second AGP and third On-board and run whichever it found.Setting to on-board first it would never find the AGP adaptor and always run its default ie the on-board graphics.

2-My present motherboard switches to AGP graphics by auto and that can still be seen from the BIOS though.The setting changes accordingly if an AGP graphics card is in the slot.

Before installing any new graphics card i also always change over to Windows default PCI VGA adaptor drivers before de-installing the old graphics drivers and fitting the new graphics card and installing the new drivers.

Good luck and best wishes Chris.

Collapse -
im not sure, but...
by bklynrickel / July 11, 2006 9:39 AM PDT

i recently had someone install a new video card in an older emachine, and he didnt do anything to disable the already existing card. he just put the new one in and xp recognized it, overriding the old one. i asked him if he needed to disable anything and he told me no. xp recognized the new card.

Collapse -
Graphics card
by jkwilly / July 11, 2006 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: im not sure, but...

Good day,
I installed the PNY 7600 GS in my Emachines T6524 a few weeks ago (see past submissions) and being a novice thought it was that simple just install the card. I guess it went ok cause I was playing FEAR when I could not before, however I had heat issues with the card and was informed by Emachines live chat/sales chat to try another brand. So now I'm waiting for the graphics card to arrive so I can try it again. thanks

Movin

Collapse -
Graphics card
by rochagomes / July 13, 2006 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Graphics card

Can you explain heat issues? Was card running "hot" and therefore programs/games freezing up? Does it have it's own fan? Did you think about buying another case fan? And finally, since you are trying another card, no problem with returning that card.

Collapse -
I am not sure
by rochagomes / July 13, 2006 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: im not sure, but...

Both ways of course will work. The first time I either disable or uninstalled the on-board video. The next time I just re-inserted the card and XP did the rest. I have an E machine T-2480, 3 years old, Athlon 2400+.

Power is a concern after I did numerous readings about video cards, so to play it safe I brought a video card without its own fan. Assuming fan means the card uses a lot of power and the fact the fan needs some power. Emachines come with small power supplies....175 watts versus the standard 300 watts or 250 watts that Dell sometimes uses.

Collapse -
Update on new graphics card
by jkwilly / July 14, 2006 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I am not sure

Thanks for your reply. Speaking of power I installed the Tornado TD8038H 80mm case fan by Vantec. This little ****** is running at 6144rpm vs. what the package stated of 5800 rpm. I downloaded a program to try and control the fan speed but it will not work for that fan, however the program will control the AMD fan. I e-mailed Vantec support who inturn replyed that it's the voltage that is pushing the fan past it's stated rpm..not to worry it will just run louder...well DUH...One things for sure it has cooled my PC down and created a vortex draft in my bedroom..
I'm not sure how to turn the power down for the case fan....Thanks

Movin

Collapse -
Lots of FAN options
by VAPCMD / May 27, 2007 2:36 PM PDT

Here's one of many....some you can dial the RPM...this one is just quiet 14dBA at 28CFM at 1800RPM.

http://www.3dcool.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_73_79&products_id=1613

Product Specifications ForSilenX Ixtrema Pro 80x25mm 14dBA Quiet Computer Fan

Name Description
Model: IXP-54-14
Dimensions: 80x80x25mm
Noise: 14dBA
Fan Speed: 1800RPM
Air Flow: 28CFM
Fan Input: 12v ? 0.09A ? 1.08w
Specifications are subjected to change without notice.

Collapse -
Can you or any one help me out.
by haburt510 / May 26, 2007 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: I am not sure

Hi,
I just bought this Nvidia 7800 GTX 512MB Graphic card for a guy from Craigslist. But for some reason the card says Engeneering Release on the start up screen when you first start the computer on. Rite before Windows XP loads up the black screen with the info on computer and graphic info. That part. Its says engineering Release.

Can any one tell me how I can get rid of that part or change the the says Engeering Release or just by pass the whole part and just skip straight into windos. I dont want to change the BIOS just change what it says. Is there any way I can do this in the Bios setting or any where else? Please Email me and give me full info in you know how. Thank You. www.hamannaaron@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Well, Is It Working Correctly?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 2:03 AM PDT

Basically, if the "Engineering Release" of the graphics card is working fine, then you may want to keep it. Usually though, the "Engineering Release" cards have problems and need to be replaced.. Sometimes, the cards video BIOS can be flashed to fix the problem and eliminate the text.. (For an updated Nvidia BIOS, contact Nvidia.)But if it were me, I would contact the card supplier and ask them for the full "Production Release" card and drivers..

Have you tried installing the most recent driver for the product? Looks like the one at the link below is it:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Another Thought...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 2:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thinking about an upgrade
by arfisher9 / December 20, 2008 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Another Thought...

I would like to upgrade my graphics card from an ati radeon 200 xpress, to something a little more powerful, however my only desire (at the moment) is that it should be compatible with pixel shader 2.0. I'm using a compaq presario SR2050NX wiht an intel pentium D 820 processor running at 2.80 GHz, and I have 960 MB of ram. I do have an available pci express slot. Unfortunatly, I don't know how many watts my power supply can handle, and I don't know how many watts are being used by my machine, so i'm not sure how many watts I should allow my new card to use. Any advice would be most helpful, thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.