Windows 7 forum

Installing New Device Drivers, not retaining Ghosted Drivers

by Qummedigity / January 24, 2013 2:10 AM PST

I'm taking a ghosted image to another machine. On the image I have my device drivers set with static IP (e.g. Local Area Connection 1 is the static IP I want). I have two local area connections, 1 and 2, and 1 is what I want it to be while 2 is a default Microsoft IP.

I put that image onto another system and after loading it I don't have Local Area Connections 1 and 2 anymore but Local Area Connections 3 and 4. When I first boot, the computer says Device Drivers Successfully Installed.

Why am I losing Local Area Connections 1 and 2 and thus creating 3 and 4 which both have default Microsoft IPs? I want to retain the Local Area Connection 1 that has the static IP that I desire.

Let me know what additional information may be needed.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing New Device Drivers, not retaining Ghosted Drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing New Device Drivers, not retaining Ghosted Drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Not what I would do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 2:18 AM PST

An image would be made after I install on this machine and had it all setup. Due to how badly Windows handles such moves we keep the images only for each machine. You may encounter a new or old IT staffer that wants to try this again but just keep them on a short leash. That is, only allow them a few hours to try it then cut them off. Make them make it work and move to the next task.

Collapse -
Help with regards to not having an image install new drivers
by Qummedigity / January 24, 2013 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Not what I would do.

Well we need it to work on the upload of the image since it is a delivered system. I.E. no modifications after the image is installed.

How come Device Drivers 1 and 2 are not being recognized and thus 3 and 4 are created? We want 1 to still be there as that is the configuration we want.

If there was different HW would this happen? Possibilities:
The end ethernet connection is a different port and thus creating a new driver
The NIC on the PC is different from the one imaged and thus creating a new driver

Any others?

Let me know what new information is needed. This is really bugging me.

Collapse -
The same reasons it's always been.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 2:40 AM PST

Drivers have to be installed in a specific order or else. For example, a video card driver may not work until we install motherboard chip set drivers. Same for a NIC.

It appears you are new so give yourself time to learn how Windows works. It's not an OS you move to other hardware with any ease.

There are classes in deploying Windows but I can't condense that here except to write it's not done with images.

Collapse -
Help with regards to not having an image install new drivers
by Qummedigity / January 24, 2013 3:12 AM PST

The hardware is the same.

Is it possible that the network adapter is sitting differently than the other one thus not finding 1 and 2 and thus installing 3 and 4.

Unfortunately, I don't have the liberty of time to learn the answer, it needs to be resolved now. I can't think of why the same computer is seeing different drivers than the other.

Collapse -
Then there would not be the question above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 3:46 AM PST

You proved the hardware is different and only need time for the answer to sink in. But you claim you don't have the time for this.

That's why, when I did the IT Head gig I would only give the IT tech so many hours to get it working then tell them to do the install we know works. Your newer IT staffer always seems to get hung up on images. Your seasoned tech knows to be flexible.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.