PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Installing graphics Card Help Needed

by personofthefurby / June 21, 2010 10:02 AM PDT

I have an HP Compaq dc7800 Small Form Factor computer with a built in Intel Q35. I'm trying to install an ASUS EAH4350 SILENT graphics card. Without the card in, the computer boots up completely fine, running Windows Vista with 2gigs of ram. The ASUS card uses a PCI Express slot, but once the card's plugged in, and I power up the computer, it will beep 6 times in sequence with a red light flashing on the front, stop for a second, then start beeping again. The start up HP screen won't run either. Any idea on how to install it with it working? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing graphics Card Help Needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing graphics Card Help Needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
240W Power supply?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 10:15 AM PDT

That box looks to have a very small power supply. Ask HP and ASUS if the power supply is big enough. My thought is it's power related.

Collapse -
How much power?
by personofthefurby / June 24, 2010 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: 240W Power supply?

Is there a way besides a PSU calculator to figure out how much extra power I have or would be needed to run this card? As in an actual application in Windows or something?

The entire reason I want to in include this card is because while playing the Sims 3, the screen will go black, but comes back darker than before. When the Sims is minimized, a warning triangle will appear in the notification area saying that the display driver crashed but has successfully recovered (or something or the sort) so I figured that a new graphics card would be the solution.

Collapse -
How much power?
by Brechan / June 24, 2010 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: How much power?

Other manufacturers websites suggest a minimum 300 watt power supply for their HD4350's, you also have to take in consideration that your PC is a 'small form factor', so write down the measurements of your power supply, and compare that to the size of new ones.

Collapse -
In addition to Bob's advice
by Brechan / June 22, 2010 2:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
This might help
by wb2001 / July 18, 2010 11:08 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.