Laptops

General discussion

Installing drivers for a Compaq Presario v2000

by spdorsey / December 30, 2006 1:43 AM PST

Hello

My girlfriend has a Compaq Presario v2000. It's an OK system, I guess.

Her laptop was totally overwrought with malware, and she does not have the original CDs anymore. I bought Windows XP Pro SP2 and installed it without any problems. I'm on the HP/Compaq website looking for the myriad of drivers, and none of them will work. I download them, and try to install, but they all fail upon installation and quit out of the installer.

I install stuff like this all the time on my home-built PC, I don;t know what the problem is here.

I'd like to go to the ATI website to download the video drivers manually, but I cannot find the specs for the video on this PC ANYWHERE. Not at the HP site, not at Cnet, not anywhere. In fact, some sites list it as having ATI, some as having onboard Intel video hardware.

What can I do here? I feel totally screwed!

-------------------S

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing drivers for a Compaq Presario v2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing drivers for a Compaq Presario v2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which v2000?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2006 3:14 AM PST

Frankly I find laptops to be very timeconsuming to collect the drivers and sometimes like Sony laptops where they don't provide the drivers you have to just hand it back and ask the owner to order (and pay) for the restore CDs.

HP will sell you the restore CDs for less money than any shop will charge you to install your Retail Version of XP Pro. So that 35 bucks is money well spent compared to the 200 buck fee I saw last time someone insisted.

I'd pitch in but you only provided the laptop's series number and not the actual model number. Sorry but I can't guess which drivers I'd use.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
by spdorsey / December 30, 2006 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Which v2000?

I found out that it is not a Presario V2000. It says that on the screen bezel, but if I check the tag on the back of the laptop, it says V2311US.

I looked under V2311 on the HP site, and all the drivers were there.

This is simply a case of HP/Compaq doing a poor job of labeling and documenting their hardware. People expect the number on the front of their PC to be the model number - anything contrary is misleading and confusing. This would have been MUCH easier with better management and design/branding. It's no wonder Compaq got bought - let's hope HP does better.

Thanks for your help,

------------------S

Collapse -
In defense of HP (not much of one either)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2006 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Answer

Owners may not want to know that exact model number. Just technical people will have to know such.

Look at the iPaqs which do show the model numbers and your head will explode trying to decode what that number means.

Bob

Collapse -
problem with compaq v2000
by geezera / May 28, 2011 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer

hey, i have problem too with this compaq v200, can't install

Collapse -
Read the former answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2011 10:05 AM PDT

The v2000 has over a dozen models. I can't install to a v2000 (or v200) either!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.