Computer Newbies

General discussion

Installing CanoScan LiDE 20

by bigelowbkm / February 15, 2007 7:53 AM PST

Hi!

I just bought a new laptop, and I'd like to install my old scanner on it. When I say old, I mean really old--like "I-have-no-idea-where-the-installation-CD-is" old. It's a CanoScan LiDE 20, and I use it for copying pages from books, magazines, etc. that can't be fed through my ScanSnap. Is there any way to install the CanoScan on the laptop without the CD? (The new computer is an HP Pavilion dv9005us.)

Thanks!
Barbara

P.S. That desperate posting for help with a video card (OMG!!) came from my 12-year-old son, not me. He's doing his homework now, but he'll provide system info for our Dell desktop tomorrow.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing CanoScan LiDE 20
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing CanoScan LiDE 20
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Barbara, The only way to use the scanner
by retired / February 15, 2007 8:04 AM PST
Collapse -
The Driver Download Can Be Found At the Canon Webpage
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 8:36 AM PST
Collapse -
It scans!
by bigelowbkm / February 16, 2007 5:55 AM PST

Thanks so much! The CanonScan LiDE 20 scans from my new laptop now that I've downloaded the appropriate driver and the toolbox. You guys are great!!

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2007 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: It scans!
Collapse -
It scans !! - but now......
by rogespeed_au / February 16, 2007 2:18 PM PST
In reply to: It scans!

may I make a slightly unrelated but maybe useful suggestion ( as this is a newbies forum)

now that you have downloaded the drivers create a folder called recovery and a subfolder called scanner and copy the driver and utility in to this subfolder.

Then copy onto a removable media like a flash drive.

do this for all download drivers and manuals, and so the event that you have to ever reinstall the windows - you will have a supplimentary system driver quick recovery file.

Save alot of time and frustration during high stress !!!!

Collapse -
Backup advice
by bigelowbkm / February 18, 2007 6:00 AM PST

Will do! Thanks!

Collapse -
Similar problem, different result
by dkeirnes / May 6, 2010 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Backup advice

I have a similar problem in that I am trying to install a Canoscan Lide20 on a new computer without the install disc. I downloaded and installed both the driver and the toolbox, but still am not able to scan. When I open the settings on the toolbox, nothing appears in the scanner dropdown box. When I press the scan button on the scanner, nothing happens.

Collapse -
No Mention Of Operating System Or Comp Make & Model
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 6, 2010 11:47 AM PDT

Are you using a supported operating system? If not, you may be out of luck.. We're seeing quite a few Windows 7 users which need to buy a new printer simply because there are no appropriate drivers for their printer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: No Mention Of Operating System Or Comp Make & Model
by dkeirnes / May 6, 2010 12:47 PM PDT

This is on a Dell Latitude E6500 running Windows Vista. I also tried to install it on a Dell Inspiron 9300 running Windows XP. Same results.

Collapse -
If It's Faulty On Two Separate Computers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 7:54 AM PDT

...then I'll guess the computer is no longer functioning correctly. (I'd start by swapping in a new printer cable just in case the one you have has failed.). Does the printer work on ANY computer? If not, then it may be time to get a new All-in-one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.