Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installing a program from a Disk

by DANNY101 / September 28, 2009 11:22 PM PDT

After years of installing programs from a disk, I found a glitch. As a rule I will chose "save" when I download a program and than install it from the disk so I have a back-up copy handy. Plus if there is ever an update and I find it "buggy" I can revert to the older edition. But today I placed the disk into the drive, clicked on the program to install and instead on the familiar Wizard or basic initial start-up procedure (ie-Program Agreement-what language,etc) it opened with the Win Fax/Picture program. Of course it would not install from there so I Right Clicked the program to choose the Open With option. But, Install is not one of the options. The Fax/Pict viewer is Not Checked as the "Always Open" with option, so I don't know why it even took that track.
Is a basic setting messed up? How do I get it back to opening properly on "exe" and similar programs? I sense it must be quite simple.
Using IE8 SP2 and Firefox 3.5 -With downloads I use IE, FF is not use friendly when downloading programs other than their way.
Thanks for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing a program from a Disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing a program from a Disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Names?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 11:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
Open Program/File
by DANNY101 / September 29, 2009 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Names?

I checked the Registry and found that I have the .Msi Package entry and code. Note, I am a true novice and would be reluctant to make any major alterations to the system. I had hoped that a setting was off or something simple. I was able to load the program by using the RUN option. It just has a problem opening from the disk.
I took another disk and a different program worked properly. I now believe it is not a problem with my PC, but when "saving" the -VLC Player 1.0.2- it is something the writer(s) built into that specific program. Does that sound likely?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Open Program/File

I was left to guess the EXTENSION of the install package. Your reply didn't clear that up so I'm left to guess. The second link I gave is used by guru's and novices alike so if there is an issue with MSI association then that would clear it up.

Bob

Collapse -
Open File
by DANNY101 / September 29, 2009 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Hi Bob, I may have the answer or explanation. I right clicked the other programs on the disk/checked Properties and all were- type of file: Application. (The suffix type was not listed.) Except the VLC Player program that would not run/load, but tried to open as a picture(?) it is listed as file type: 2 File I don't have any idea what or why it was categorized that way. Thank You for your help! Dan

Collapse -
I guess that you need to know
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Open File
Collapse -
File Type
by DANNY101 / September 29, 2009 2:21 AM PDT

Hi, I un-hid the file extension type and all the programs on the disk were exe. The VLC Player showed None. just 2 file type. It either did not load right, or (maybe) in the Saved option it is omitted so it can not be saved, the application must take place immediately. Purely a guess. I'm happy that it is not a PC problem. Thanks again for your replies

Collapse -
Ok, let's just delete VLC Player files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: File Type

These can be found again on the web. Let's not waste time on what looks to be a bum copy. At one of the links above is the Association fix for .EXE files. If the EXE files are opening with the wrong program that's that one for us.

Now why does this happen? What causes this? In a word, MALWARE. It does this to thwart its removal.

Grif has the titles we use to scan and remove many common malwares (for free too) at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?messageID=3105025

Good hunting,
Bob

Collapse -
Program File
by DANNY101 / September 29, 2009 7:49 AM PDT

I loaded the file from the download.com web page. After the problem Saving to my disc, I ran it again from the site and instead of Save (to disk drive), I chose Run and it installed and operates ok.
I have, update daily and run 3x's a week-Avast for virus. For Malware I use SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Super AntiSpyware and Malwarebyte's. CCleaner is run 2x's a week and I ultilize the internal Disk Cleanup before shutting down each evening. After an infection years ago I am vigilant about malware and visit (as much as possible) only safe sites.
I only mention this because the URL you provided me is for loading anti-malware programs and I believe I have that covered.
I loaded the disk, highlighted the VLC program and scanned it using malwarebytes and it said it was clean. I am going to find out what a "File 2" program is.
The exe files are opening properly. Good Evening.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.