Desktops forum

General discussion

Installing a PCI express video card in the new HP slimline

by gundamretro / April 9, 2007 8:10 AM PDT

The new slimline model has a PCI express slot. Abviously you can only install a half height pci express video card in there, but i found a few out on the market that i can purchase. But the power supply issue is concerning me. The review on cnet says we can install a video card, but they never talk about the power supply requirements. The power supply is a 160 W power supply in there. Can i still install a half-height pci express video card in there ? Because if i were to replace that power supply with something more powerfull, its hard to find that type of power supply. Its a really small power supply. Does anyone know any possible solutions ? I want the portability of this system and also options to expand this system into a mediocre gaming machine that can handle basic real time strategies of the present and future.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing a PCI express video card in the new HP slimline
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing a PCI express video card in the new HP slimline
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help us to help you
by linkit / April 9, 2007 11:11 AM PDT

Please provide the exact model number of the HP computer.

While exploring the possibilities, note that different video cards have different PSU requirements. The better gaming cards require more Watts and need a roomy case to help with heat dissipation.

Collapse -
re: video card in hp slimline
by ramarc / April 10, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

hp slimlines typically use sfx power supplies. measure your existing power supply first to be sure. here are some to choose from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058+1131310143&Subcategory=58&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

i suggest you get at least a 240W unit. as for low-end gaming video cards, your choices are 7300gs or radeon x1550 (skip the 7300le, 6200, and x1300) and they'll run about $60.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609641%20106790717&srchInDesc=low%20profile&bop=And&Order=PRICED
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609641%20106790809&srchInDesc=low%20profile&bop=And&Order=PRICED

this x1600pro is the best gaming option that will fit but you'd need about a 300w power supply. its up to you if middling performance is worth $150 (including power supply).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102032

Collapse -
re: video card in hp slimline
by mforce01 / May 14, 2007 11:17 AM PDT

I'm trying to find a power supply for the HP slimline s3020n. The ones referred to from newegg will not fit. If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Collapse -
video card in HP slimline
by tony2socks / May 21, 2007 7:53 AM PDT

Has anyone found a suitable power supply for the slimline?
I've contacted HP and they do not provide one.

Collapse -
You could check here
by kpo6969 / May 21, 2007 11:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
by tony2socks / May 21, 2007 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: You could check here

Thanks for the link. The slimlines aren't there. They use a non-standard size power supply.
What I do know is that the PSA is ~ 3.25 x 1.6 x 8.5". There are a number of Slex ATX size power supplies that would fit the bill, though they all have 20 pin MB power connectors and the slimline board requires a 24 pin connector. I have seen adaptors for that.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=422369

http://www.power-on.com/flexatx250plb.html

Collapse -
by mforce01 / May 22, 2007 3:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: video card in HP slimline
by mforce01 / May 22, 2007 3:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Video card in HP slimline
by tony2socks / May 22, 2007 3:47 AM PDT

Both the shuttle power supplies have 20 pin power connectors.
The s3020n, motherboard : HP/Compaq name: HematiteXL-GL8E has a 24 pin power connector. Would need an additional wire harness to convert, but it looks like the supply would fit in the case.

I ordered the Sparkle 270W with the 20+4 connector. I'll post my findings when I squeeze it in the box.

Collapse -
Video card in HP slimline...
by mforce01 / May 22, 2007 3:50 AM PDT

I'll be eager to hear how this goes for you. I'm also very interested in upgrading the power supply in my HP. Good luck to you.

Collapse -
power supply upgrade
by mforce01 / May 22, 2007 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe?

To tony2socks:

Could you post the model number of the power supply that you ordered and where you got it ftom?

Thanks..

Collapse -
Power supply upgrade
by tony2socks / May 22, 2007 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: power supply upgrade
Collapse -
Video card
by mforce01 / May 22, 2007 4:45 AM PDT

tony2socks:

that Sparkle 270 watt power supply is the one that I am looking at also. I'm hoping that it will fit in the S3020n without problems. Perhaps we could exchange email addresses and work together on this project. Let me know what you think.

Collapse -
power supply connector
by mforce01 / May 22, 2007 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Video card
Collapse -
RE: power supply connector
by mforce01 / May 22, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: power supply connector
Collapse -
Power supply connector size
by tony2socks / May 22, 2007 5:32 AM PDT

What I found on another board was that someone has one of these weirdo MB and the power connector is 24 pin, but is a nonstandard size.

http://www.nb.nu/power%20atx24.jpg

The picture shows the 24 pin power supply and a 20 pin connector. The 24 pin connector should be larger because they they should be somewhat interchangable, but this is not.

Collapse -
Please
by Seelen / June 8, 2007 12:15 AM PDT

Guys! Please let me know if this solution worked out for you? I have the same PC and is stuck with the same problem. HP tech told me not to install any other vga cards there because "they can build" one with dvi connector for me anbd i should return the one i bought back to the store.
I really appreciate your time and help.
if needed, i am also at this addy xrayboy777 at y*hoo

Thank you much!

Collapse -
HP Video Card
by tony2socks / June 8, 2007 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Please

I doubt they have the capacity to build you a video card.
I replaced the power supply and dropped in a low profile PCI-e video card, works like a charm. Worst part was wiring up an adaptor for the power supply to the motherboard and replacing the power supply itself.

Collapse -
I'll sell you my children if you tell me ;-)
by Seelen / June 8, 2007 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Video Card

What hardware and where you have purachsed it for your VGA upgrade. Along with the pin adapter if needed.

Thank you so much for your help.

Collapse -
re: re: video card in hp slimline
by tony2socks / May 22, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

mforce01, feel free to email me tony2socks_at_gmail_dot_com.

Collapse -
HP Slimline Video Card Upgrade... Said and Done
by tony2socks / June 27, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

As I see it, there are 3 main points to upgrading the video card.

1. Finding a power supply that will fit
2. Finding a video card that will fit
3. Adapting the power connector to connect to the board.

Point 1. I don't recall the exact measurements, but Spakle makes a 270W power supply that fit rather well.
It's a flex-form factor sized unit. This is where I purchased mine from.
http://www.censuspc.com/Sparkle-Power-SPI270LE-270-Watts-FLEX-ATX-20-24-Pin-RoHS-Power-Supply-Bulk-pack-pr-5902.html

Point 2. You'll need a low-profile PCI express card (they come in x1 and x16 varieties). If it's not 'low-profile', it won't fit, too wide. if it's not PCI express, it won't fit either. Different connection altogether. This is what I purchased.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2563225&CatId=1560

Point 3. The standard power connector is too large for the connection on the motherboard in the Slimline series. It utilized a stanard pinout (all 24 circuits are the same) but the connector itself is a diferent size. Both are produced by Molex, the standard is called a Mini-fit whereas the HP board uses a Micro-fit connector. There are 2 ways to address this:
1. Cut the connector off the old power supply and reconnect to the new power supply.
2. Get an extra set of connectors and create a wire harness/adaptor to plug the new power supply in to( this has the advantage of causing no permanant damage to either power supply. (Thats what I did).
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=538-43025-2400
don't forget the pins:
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=538-43030-0010
and somethig to splice it to:
http://www.directron.com/242.html

The philisophical aspect of this whole project... Would I do it again? NO!!
The cost to benefit from doing this didnt weigh out for me. I spent about $225 all said and done on parts and countless time researching and making the upgrade. I still do not have a gaming rig, though it is slightly better than before. my vVsta numbers went up slightly, but actual performance still has me thinking I need more RAM over the video card upgrade.
I would have rather bought a full tower that uses more readily available cards and power supplies and put the extra money to a better card.

The Slimlines small form factor fills a certian niche, and though it's possible, it's not meant to be a tricked out power house.

Something to think about.

Collapse -
Thank you tony2socks
by avto1 / July 3, 2008 7:35 PM PDT

Thank you tony2socks,

I sucssesfuly upgraded my s3015 thanks to your post.

8600 GT - low profile;
2x1GB Crucial Ballistix
PC50 300W Silent X power supply (Shuttle replacement).

It was relatively easy, I spent the most of the time in assembling the 24 pin Micro-Fit connector.

Today I will change the 3800+ processor with 5200+ and next upgrade would be to find a smaller heatsink for the graphic card, so I can use again the tv tuner card.

If you can give me advice on this point, that would be great.
Here are some photos:

Collapse -
Just a bit more info please
by oldscotch / October 24, 2008 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you tony2socks

Hi avto1,

Just curious where you got the parts to make the interconnect for the adapter. I saw the ones that tony2socks listed, it's just that there aren't any pictures there to let you know exactly what you're buying.

Your setup looks nice and clean, so just wondering if that's what you got from mouser, or from somewhere else.

-

Also - the Shuttle power supply is about an inch longer than the HP one, did you have any issues fitting it in there?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Hi please can you help me
by kindom2009 / April 5, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

I have the hp slimline s3620f and I bough the PC50 300W Silent X power supply (Shuttle replacement) to upgrade the video card, but the connector pin it's too big, can you tell what connectors did you use, and where did you get them, please!! and how did you connect the video card to the mother board, I'm new with this, please!! Thank you!!

Collapse -
Hey do you have more pics of what you did with the hp slimli
by kindom2009 / April 9, 2009 1:44 PM PDT

Because I about to do it, myself, but I really need some help! can you please send me some pictures, of the connection? please! this is my email, Luiscast_2007@hotmail.com

Collapse -
Hp Slimline model s3127c
by Foshie / July 29, 2007 1:06 AM PDT

I just bought the Hp Slimline model # s3127c and was wondering if that model had a PCE-E or regular PCI slot available? In regards to both what vid card would be good for this model w/out having to upgrade power supply? Thanks for any info i'm really not very savvy when it comes down to all the tech stuff Happy

Collapse -
(NT) What's your product manual say ?
by VAPCMD / July 29, 2007 4:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
PCI-E card
by Foshie / August 2, 2007 7:28 AM PDT

found out it takes a PCI-E card but since its a slimline model i have no idea what card would be good. I'm looking for a card that's just mid range and will play WoW decently. Thanks.

Collapse -
Shuttle PC50
by cdinh82 / September 29, 2007 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: PCI-E card
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.