Computer Help forum

General discussion

installing 2 separate hard drives, how to do it?!?!?

by bugasm16 / July 22, 2010 12:38 AM PDT

MOBO- asus p6x58
ssd- ocz vertex 2
internal hard drive- Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
OS---win7 ultimatex64

this is building from scratch. the parts are all still in their boxes. what id like to do is this,

I want to have my windows7 program( and possibly my anvi-V ) installed on my SSD. so when i turn on the comp, it boots up the essentials on the ssd

then

I want my raptor drive to do everything else. day to day web surfing, games, downloads....etc. however... i still want my OS on the ssd to be able to receive all its needed updates.

is there somewhere i can go for a detailed description on how to set this up???

please keep in mind, when i say detailed, i mean DETAILED. if someone says, "ahh, thats easy, just hop in your registry and do this, or use an elevated command prompt".... I have NO IDEA what this means.

does anyone reading know a place that either gives a you tube video or written line by line instructions on how to do this? I looked on you tube, but i dont know what to search for to get specifically what im looking for.

( secondary question ) should i be loading all the cd's i use to install parts such as the video cards onto my so called " boot up " ssd drive as well?
or should all that go on my main storage internal drive?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing 2 separate hard drives, how to do it?!?!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing 2 separate hard drives, how to do it?!?!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doesn't sound possible
by Steven Haninger / July 22, 2010 2:48 AM PDT

Your OS does everything. You can't put the OS on one drive and have the other drive do anything but contain files that the OS can access. You can install some programs on the other drive but not all of that program's files will reside there anyway so there's no detailed...line by line...instructions available. Maybe you'd care to post your goal and a compromise can be found.

Collapse -
re
by bugasm16 / July 22, 2010 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Doesn't sound possible

that pretty much was my goal.

i just wanted to load my OS on the fast SSD drive so my comp starts up and operates fast. but i didnt want to jam up the ssd's capacity with the everyday useage stuff like downloading pics, itunes, games..whathaveyou. id like the slower, albeit still fast raptor to handle all of that. ( ive read of people doing similar set ups) but absolutely no clue how they did it.

Collapse -
a theory
by bugasm16 / July 22, 2010 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: re

1. load windows 7 onto ssd
2. load all other programs onto raptor

im told there is a way to tell Windows what the default "Program Files" path is so that you don't have to continually change the path of the programs you're installing. this would then make it so nothing else gets onto the ssd.

only i really dont understand this stuff. my main problem is if infact this is the desired method to achieve my goal, i dont know what this may be called in order to search for instructions or tutorials on it.

Collapse -
Think of it this way
by Steven Haninger / July 22, 2010 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: a theory

If the SSD is faster than the WD, how would launching programs stored on another drive be faster than launching them from the same drive the OS resides? They won't launch any faster because the OS needs to cross through other hardware to retrieve files on another drive to load into memory. Once in memory, things will equalize. A second drive is good for keeping data, downloads, etc. It's for organization and not performance. Keeping your OS and all programs on one drive also greatly improves your ability to come up with a neat and clean disaster recovery plan. Think what would happen you experience problems with either the SSD or the WD and had programs installed on both. The loss of either means you're down until both are restored. I can't think of any good reason to split the OS and one's programs across two drives. You won't gain performance and you might cause headaches. Use the second drive for data only and get at least one more to duplicate important files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.