Windows 7 forum

Alert

Installed recomended IE 10 on WIN 7 Caused Problems

by PhilB49 / March 21, 2013 5:34 AM PDT

Udate recommended I install new IE 10 over my IE9 on OS 7 Ultimate so I did. Afterwards most of the hyperlinks in Yahoo stopped working properly. Checked on Firefox where there was no problem with links.

IE 10 is not compatible with Yahoo link functions.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installed recomended IE 10 on WIN 7 Caused Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installed recomended IE 10 on WIN 7 Caused Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try IE 10's compatibiliy mode?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 5:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Only with Yahoo articles (links)
by PhilB49 / March 21, 2013 6:08 AM PDT

On the main Yahoo Home page everything worked fine. But when I went to Yahoo featured articles the hyperlinks to post etc they only when back to the article top of page. Got the impression that MS doesn't like Yahoo and wants us to use the MS Home page instead... Fortunately I could go back to the Update list and remove IE10 and roll back to IE9. I normally never install something new until it has been out for a while due to all the bugs in new releases. Just succered into it by the Update program.. MS Tech support wasn't any help at all and even gave me bad instructions...

Collapse -
(NT) This is why we install and at least here, use other browsers
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 6:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Did You Install The Pre-Requisite Update BEFORE IE10?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 9:07 AM PDT

Although I'm not sure it will make a difference regarding your Yahoo links (I have had no problems with my IE10- installation and Yahoo links), but there was a Platform Update KB2670838 which was released in this last group of Windows Updates as well.. It was "optional" so it may not have been installed before you put IE10 on the machine.. IMPORTANT NOTE: Be careful about installing the Platform Update because there have been a few computers which are not compatible with the update because of older graphics and audio drivers and crashes have occurred because of the update.. If you haven't installed it already (Check the most recent set updates installed on your computer.), you may want to do so before attempting to reinstall IE10.. Check the website below and read the information before installing it..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Same Problem with Win 7
by marvingee33 / March 25, 2013 10:42 PM PDT

I use Myway as a home page and half the links I use also did not work.
Not only did the links not work, but IE 10 had to reload itself to get to some typed in url's.
Kept getting the some error message that there was a problem with the web page and IE has to restart.
I uninstalled the IE 10 update and all is well again in PC land.
I'll wait a couple of months and try again.-- or live without it as it seems related to Windows 8 anyway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.