Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Installed Norton 360 V2 now my PC is so slow

by asti752 / August 11, 2008 2:25 AM PDT

I am running XP and installed this Norton 360 V2 and now my PC is running really slow. I was told I didnt need all that is offered but I am not sure what I can disable.

Thanks J

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installed Norton 360 V2 now my PC is so slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installed Norton 360 V2 now my PC is so slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by shivscape / August 11, 2008 4:42 AM PDT

sir, the easiest option is to uninstall norton 360, download antivir

install zonealarm firewall. www.checkpoint.com

and ad aware www.lavasoftusa.com

then you get the same protection for free and it wont slow you down.

or invest in buying Zonealarm internet security

Collapse -
Get Rid of Norton
by johnsmkt / August 11, 2008 5:07 AM PDT

Uninstall Norton, then load up 'AVG Free'. Much better & it doesn't slow your computer.

Collapse -
Another set of choices
by quincy61 / August 11, 2008 7:52 AM PDT

I agree totally with the other two responders -- dump Norton immediately (I am a former long-time Norton user and also found it a drag on my resources). I've had really excellent satisfaction from downloading AVAST free anti-virus, PC Tools FirewallPlus (also free), and SUPERantispyware (free again!). I also continue to use Spywareblaster i the background. In other words, there are many good choices out there, many of them free. Good hunting and good luck!

Collapse -
Norton 360 Version 2.0 problems
by Ronvane / August 11, 2008 7:55 AM PDT

I am running XP too. However in my case this is not at all true. The only problem I have is when shuttinh down my PC, the program ccSvcHst is not responding. All possible Norton Tools could not help so far. Anyone knows a sollution?

Collapse -
ccSvcHst is not responding
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 11, 2008 1:07 PM PDT

Do you have any other Anti Malware program(s) on your computer? IF yes, disable it as it could be conflicting with Norton.

Collapse -
ccSvcHst not responding
by Ronvane / August 11, 2008 9:37 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply. No I have no other malware installed anymore.

Collapse -
Norton 360 ver 2.0 and the ccSvcHst error
by tgstaf / October 6, 2008 11:17 AM PDT

I too had the same problem. Symantec walked me through the following process. I would recommend engaging them on Live Support but I have included what worked for me through several shutdowns and restarts.

1. Please click on Start>Run.
2. In the run dialog box please type regedit.
3. Now please click on Hkey_Current User>Control Panel>Desktop
4. In the right you will find a option auto end task. Please double click on it.
5. Please change the value 0 to 1.
6. Now please click on Hkey_LocalMachine>System>Current Control set>Control
7. In the right side you will get a option way to kill service.
8. Double click on it and then change the value 20000 to 1000.
9. Now please close the registry window.
10. Now click on Start and go to run.
11. Please type luall and press enter.
12. Please start the LiveUpdate.
13. Now we will restart the system and check for the issue.
14. We need to restart your computer. As your computer shuts down please do not manually close any Windows as your computer will be saving settings that are required for us to reconnect. When your computer starts back up again we'll be able to continue to chat again in this chat window.
15. We need to restart the system once again.
16. Dont shut it down. Please restart your system.

Collapse -
To Big For Their Britches
by ASF_Nutt / August 11, 2008 10:56 AM PDT

Same problem I had with 360 2.0, I was the end of my subscription so I got rid of it...what a waist of hard earned money. I use AVG 8 now and the firewall that came with windows. The best thing about it is, its all free. I also use SBSD for the other bugs. Spy-bot Search And Destroy...

Collapse -
To Big for their Britches
by ohkanaduh / August 11, 2008 12:37 PM PDT

I did the same thing with Norton 360. Such a waste of money!!! Now I use Avast and never a problem. Its free too.

Collapse -
dump norton
by steveahill / August 11, 2008 5:15 PM PDT

I agree with the Dump norton method I did so 3 years ago changed to eset Nod32 it was like having a new PC again Im now using Nod32 security system which is great you can install it and forget it. Word of warning though you need to uninstall or disable all norton products before you install. Ive had three trouble free years.

Collapse -
norton antivirus
by grumpy gran / August 12, 2008 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: dump norton

download the norton remover because i couldn't get rid until i found this tool i'll never have this anti virus again it put my computer on stop

Collapse -
dump norton
by ASF_Nutt / August 12, 2008 4:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Definitely,Dump Norton
by Roguewolf55 / August 13, 2008 3:29 PM PDT

I don't know if it will work,but you could try RevoUninstaller. You can download it from Download.com and its free.
As for another anti-virus,I use Avast-free. It doesn't seem to have all the issues of AVG and it does everything AVG does,but better. It also has automatic updating and an anti-rootkit. Avira is a little spooky,Ad aware not so hot when compared to SUPERantispyware and I'd stay away from anything that says "Zonealarm". I've read other forums of people having problems with it. Hope this helps. Oh! Avast and Superantispyware are FREE!!!

Collapse -
by Phil Crase / August 14, 2008 11:25 PM PDT

Before you loaded did you uninstall prior loads of security software that you had in the system? If not, there could be issues and it can be quite tricky, especially since some embed in the registry. My experience with Norton hasn't been very positive, seems to use way to many resources, there are lots of softwares on the market that are more user friendly. Kaspersky, Trend Micro, AVG, etc.

Collapse -
gee great help
by youpeskyrabbit / August 15, 2008 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: NORTON

why is it that when someone has a problem or an error that needs to be fixed, everyone's suggestion is to uninstall norton and get something else? I paid money for norton, and I'm going to use it. Unless you are willing to give me money back for dumping a paid subscription, don't tell me to get rid of it.

Collapse -
by ASF_Nutt / August 15, 2008 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: gee great help

Thats all it is is suggestions, but I believe it was asti752 who was asking for the Help... You don't have to do anything you don't want to do...bottom line is that Norton was and still is the problem best solution, get rid of the Problem.

Don't get me wrong, Norton has some great tools but like any business there is always someone better. When I pay hundreds for my application then have to pay again to get it fixed, something is wrong. I find that I am losing more and more control over what Norton does or is doing.

Now look I'm off the subject, good luck with your Norton guys.

Nutt out...

Collapse -
Norton 360 V2 is OK on my PC
by Jordan Skylar / August 17, 2008 1:51 AM PDT

I used Version 1 of Norton 360 and just upgraded to Version 2. I like Version 2 much better than 1.

I've had no problems with performance or problems. *Cross my fingers*

Collapse -
I agree with johnsmkt . . .
by Maiyan820 / August 30, 2008 9:51 PM PDT

It is Mayan820 here. I agree with johnsmkt. Get rid of Norton Internet Security as fast as you can. To get rid of it is not so easy, though. It really should be so easy, but it is not. The latter shows me that this company is in trouble . . . I suggest however that you download one of the lastest 2 of ESET's security products, once you have actually managed to uninstall Norton completely. Once you install either the NOD 32 Anti-virus & Anti-spyware or the ESET Smart Security Suit, both version 3, you will never have Internet Security problems again, period. You can download their products for a trial period of 30 days for free; after this it becomes paid versions. What you will eventually end up paying, however, is really nothing compared to the complete peace of mind you will have as far as Internet Security is concerned!
Respectfully yours,
Mayan Viljoen.

Collapse -
Norton AV did slow my pc too. Removed and pc speed was back
by deankjm@yahoo.com / October 14, 2015 1:01 AM PDT

Same here and after I removed Norton AV my computer was back to its speed. I installed McAfee AV, it didn't change my PC speed but when I did system scan, MA reported free of virus or threat. I then run the free version of Superantispyware, it found hundreds of malicious spywares and removed them. Happy

Collapse -
Time to Lock This Thread From SEVEN Years Ago
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 14, 2015 12:16 PM PDT

Good answers and comments but it's a little old now. Locking this thread. Nothing new.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.