Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Install XP Professional over Home Edition

by jeanmacpherson / March 30, 2011 1:45 AM PDT

XP Home Edition is installed on my laptop but I have a CD of XP Professional which I bought for installation on another computer. If I install Professional on current computer will I still retain apps like Microsoft Office, etc., or will they need to be reinstalled? I ask because I do not have CDs for any of these extras.
Your advice would be appreciated before I risk doing anything and what advantages does Professional have over Home Edition?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install XP Professional over Home Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install XP Professional over Home Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP profesional
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 30, 2011 1:48 AM PDT

The main differences:
- it runs IIS
- it has support for domains
If those are deciding factors you have to toss Microsoft Office (replace by Open Office?)

Kees

Collapse -
XP Professional v Home Edition
by jeanmacpherson / March 30, 2011 8:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: XP profesional

Thanks. I think I'll just stick with what I have as there are quite a few added programmes that would, presumably, have to be reinstalled.

Collapse -
Use the proper upgrade version for that...
by fjord_fox / March 30, 2011 10:20 PM PDT

If you want to upgrade from Home Edition to Professional Edition and you don't want to do any re-installation of any of your programs, then you cannot use the OEM edition, because you would then need to start from scratch. Only the FULL edition will allow you to do a simple upgrade from your existing version, and then since you are only upgrading from Home to Pro, then you don't have to worry as to whether your programs are going to work or not, like you would have to worry if you were making an upgrade from XP to Vista, or 7.

I helped a lady upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro and all of her programs worked afterwards, and that included Microsoft Office XP Professional.

I would, however very strongly recommend that you buy Acronis TrueImage HomeEdition backup program at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/ and make a backup of your system as it is now, and create a bootable recovery media disk, so if it doesn't work for you, or if for any reason, you decide that you would rather go back to the Home Edition, then it would only take about an hour to run that backup to get it back. You can either put your backup on a USB Flash Drive (if it is large enough) or to your external hard drive, or burn it directly to DVD or CDs, or onto a separate partition on your hard drive, but if you don't have a separate partition, then you would have to buy their Acronis Disk Director.

I'm not a salesman for Acronis, but if I had a dollar for every time I have recommended them, I would be rich.

~ Barry

Collapse -
XP Home to Pro
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 30, 2011 10:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
That's funny!
by fjord_fox / March 31, 2011 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: XP Home to Pro

The first guy must have tried to upgrade using an OEM version. THAT cannot be done. The second guy must have been using either an UPGRADE version or a FULL version.

I, personally don't like Upgrade Versions because I got stuck with one once. When Vista came out, I checked the Update Advisor and it said I could upgrade from Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Home Premium, so I bought the Upgrade version. However, when I tried to install it, it told me that it was not allowed to go from Pro to Home Premium, and that I should have bought either the Vista Pro or Vista Ultimate edition, and since it was opened, neither the store nor Microsoft would give me my money back, nor would they even exchange it for the FULL Version, so that I COULD make that upgrade.

I have found out since that I didn't like Vista anyway. One of my sons had made a computer just like mine (we did it together), but he was running XP Home Edition, so he bought my Vista Upgrade and installed it. Then we found that many of the programs either didn't work--or they didn't work properly, and the Creative SoundBlaster card didn't work hardly at all. My son said it wasn't important to him--but to me it WAS a big deal, especially that the sound card didn't work, and at the time, I couldn't buy one that supported anything higher than Windows XP. For that reason, on my desktop computer, I'm still using Windows XP--even on my brand new one.

I have a laptop that I bought last year that I might use an UPGRADE version on it, because I'm only going from one EDITION to another. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 and I'm thinking on upgrading it to the Ultimate Edition. However, if it had come with Vista and I was upgrading to Windows 7, then I think I would probably buy the FULL version--to avoid the problems that I had before.

I think I should add here that I made a little mistake in my last post...
I said that he can ONLY use the FULL version, but for what he wants to do, he CAN use the UPGRADE version too. He just cannot use the OEM version. for that, he WOULD need to re-install everything--from Windows up.

~ Barry

Collapse -
Install XP Professional over Home Edition
by jeanmacpherson / March 31, 2011 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: That's funny!

I know the version I have is 765 MB and is tagged VRMPOEM_EN (does this mean it is an OEM rather than full version) as I coped it to a file XPSP3 when trying to fix a previous problem (successfully thanks to help from CNET members). I used this disc as the Home Edition ones that came with the laptop were "Tools & Utilities" and a "Recovery CD". No sign of XP on first and I didn't fancy investigating the other in case it went ahead and recovered the original installation. You'll have guessed I am not too knowledgeable about software!

Collapse -
From this site
by Steven Haninger / March 31, 2011 3:45 AM PDT
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=342

It look like an OEM version of XP Pro with Service pak 2.

You cannot use it to perform an upgrade. These are meant for system builders only and are licensed to be installed on one machine. Once that machine dies or is not longer wanted, the product ID code for that OEM copy cannot be re-used to perform another installation.
Collapse -
Install XP Pro SP2 over HE
by jeanmacpherson / March 31, 2011 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: From this site

The disc was in fact bought to upgrade my old pc from ME to XP and worked with no problems at all. I think my sister also upgraded her pc with the disc before returning it to me. I think, however, that it is a moot point as XP Pro doesn't seem to have any particular advantages for me.
Thank you all for your help.
As my previous problem was solved, I assume I can now safely delete the XPSP3 file I created.

Collapse -
Don't try to re-use a Windows CD...
by fjord_fox / April 2, 2011 5:43 AM PDT

If your sister DID upgrade her PC with the disc before returning it back to you, then you need to sell it to her--or give it to her. It's hers. Microsoft only licenses each Windows CD for ONE computer. Therefore, only the FIRST PERSON who has installed and registered it (your sister) can use it.

If your Windows XP is a legal CD that you bought in the store and that is an authentic Microsoft Windows XP CD, then it has a sticker inside the packaging that you will need to give to your sister and she will need to stick it on her computer to make even her copy legal. It's called a "Certificate of Authenticity" http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa. You cannot ask her to uninstall it so you can install it legally on YOUR computer, because she has probably already registered it, and when she did so, Microsoft gets more information about your computer than you think they do. They CAN tell if you are trying to install and register it on a second computer.

If you do try to install the same copy on your computer, nonetheless, and if you are both online at the same time, you could BOTH have your computers shut down--unusable, and you will both get a popup window telling you that because you have violated the license agreement, Microsoft has frozen your computer and the only way to unlock it is to call them and explain why more than one computer has the same license.

I am not making this up. I was working on a lady's computer--fixing it for her--one night when that happened to me. I asked her, "What's the meaning of this?" and then she told me that her son had set it up for her, and he used HIS copy of Windows. Then he got mad at her for some reason, and called Microsoft and told them that she had somehow put HIS copy of Windows on her computer, so the next time she logged on--to let me fix it--we got that message. I don't know HOW they did that, but they did.

I cloned her hard disk and took the clone home so I could work on it and see what I could do. It was locked so bad, nothing worked. Even when I put it in my computer as a slave to try to retreive her pictures and document files, I couldn't get anything. I couldn't even format it. I just got a message saying that because it was locked, it couldn't be formatted. I ended up removing all of the partitions, wiping the hard drive clean, and then repartitioned it.

When I told her she would need to buy her own copy of Windows XP (this was before they had Vista) she told me she didn't want to do that, so I told her to find someone else to work on her computer. I will not work on a computer that is not legally licensed because I don't want to get caught with it. I don't know what she did after that. I did hear, however, that her other son made a computer for her and set it up for her. I hope he didn't try to re-use HIS copy of Windows on it!

Another thing I see is that you say "I assume I can now safely delete the XPSP3 file I created". I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but once you install the XP-SP2, then you need to immediately go to Windows Updates (or better yet, upgrade it to Microsoft Updates, so you get more of the updates you need) and open it with the Custom button, rather than the Express button, because then you will get ALL the updates, rather than just what they say are essential ones. Download all of the SP-2 updates, and then install Windows XP SP3. Then you'll need to go back several times to do all the updates that need to be done since SP3 has been released.

~ Barry

Collapse -
Actually, it's not the disk but the product key
by Steven Haninger / April 2, 2011 11:01 AM PDT

As I understand it, only a certain set of PID keys will work with each of the various labels. In other words, you cannot install an OEM version with a key from a retail disk. You'd be able to use any of the disks over and over as long as the key you entered differed with each installation. It's that key that becomes part of the activation process and can be tracked for multiple uses. The disks are not all unique.

Collapse -
XP Pro over HE
by jeanmacpherson / April 2, 2011 6:24 PM PDT

Thanks for the info. My copy was definitely legal and purchased online from Microsoft. I no longer have the computer I upgraded but my sister did upgrade hers. She recently told me that her grandson kept borrowing my disk for his own computer, which kept having problems, and that's when I asked for my disk back. I think I'll leave well alone and stick with what I've got. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Collapse -
XP Home to XP pro
by Sorceror65 / April 2, 2011 11:36 PM PDT

The answers I recieved from friends were equally divided. In the end I upgraded and everything works perfectly. I have a Dell Dimension 4700 nearing retirement age but works excellently with ZP Pro.
sorceror65

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.