Computer Help

General discussion

Install Windows XP over Mac OS OnAplle3 IBook G4

by Poida / December 6, 2007 7:31 PM PST

Is it at all possible to format and install windows on an apple laptop. I bought the laptop for my daughter who I believed would be able to navigate Mac OS but she is so familiar with windows is struggling with her laptop. Any assistance would be a great help. Even if the answer is no.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install Windows XP over Mac OS OnAplle3 IBook G4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install Windows XP over Mac OS OnAplle3 IBook G4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really no
by Jimmy Greystone / December 6, 2007 11:34 PM PST

If you got your hands on a copy of the PowerPC version of NT4, maybe, but nothing recent.

You can install Windows inside of a virtual machine such as VirtualPC or VMWare, but on an iBook G4, it's going to be slow to the point of being almost unusable.

Personally, I'd encourage her to stick with it. There really isn't that much in the way of fundamental differences in the way Windows and Mac OS X operate. The only major differences are using the Dock and Expose instead of the task bar, every program sharing the same menu bar, and having to actually tell a program to close instead of just closing the last open window. Most of that just takes a little time to get used to before it becomes second nature.

Maybe you could get her a book on using Mac OS X. I consistently hear good things about the O'Reilly Missing Manual series as being very good for beginners and even experts alike. Be a whole lot cheaper than getting a new laptop. I'd also suggest encouraging your daughter to become more flexible about things in life. Learning to flow with change, so she doesn't get so stressed about trivial things like minor differences in computer operating systems. She can save all that angst for things that deserve it, like mortgages, car loan payments, marriage, etc.

Collapse -
Windows XP installed apple Ibook G4
by Poida / December 7, 2007 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Not really no

Thank you for your input and I felt that it was not possible. My daughter will just have to persevere with the laptop until I can get a manual on Mac OS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.