Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Install Windows XP on Windows 7 PC

by mostimport / May 25, 2011 4:53 AM PDT

I have spent about five hours reading threads about people in similiar situations, but to no avail. I have created a partition (B:\) on my hard disk and simply want to install Windows XP Home Edition from a genuine Windows XP installation CD I purchased. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop and believe there must be a way to have both OS's on my PC, just as others have done, without removing Windows 7.

I boot from the CD by pressing the DEL key repeatedly at Win 7 startup and continue pressing it after I hear a beep when it says to press any key to boot from CD. I am given no options. It just says "Windows Setup" at the top of the screen and at the bottom indicates it is "Loading" (i.e. installing) various files from the CD, as I hear the CD running.

Then it gets to the point where it says "Setup is starting Windows" at the bottom of the screen (where it gave the status of the files being loaded). At this point, it launches a new screen which indicates "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B..."

How can I get this CD (that is, Windows XP) installed on the B:\ drive? I tried running the setup program e:\i386\winnt32.exe (which is on the CD) from a "b:\" command prompt, but I get the same error as if I try to install the CD after Windows 7 has loaded: "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install Windows XP on Windows 7 PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install Windows XP on Windows 7 PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup. That's what was supposed to happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 4:57 AM PDT

Can you tell us if you need to keep Windows 7?

I ask because installing XP does damage the boot manager and since you don't have the full Windows 7 DVD you can't fix that the normal way.

Also tell why you can't run XP in Virtual Box.

Collapse -
Now I need to connect my USB Drive
by mostimport / May 25, 2011 7:45 AM PDT

I couldn't type on my keyboard for a while there after installing XP into the VM; first the arrow keys did strange things in Windows Explorer (in host) and then the keyboard got totally messed up until I restarted my PC. Any ideas on what happened? Hopefully it won't happen again.

Anyway, I need to get the VM to recognize my Maxtor HDD and also install Maxtor Manager on the VM. I can't figure out how to do either. Thanks for your help so far, though.

Collapse -
(NT) I'm talking about using Virtual Box
by mostimport / May 25, 2011 7:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
More details please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 8:32 AM PDT

I think we are just about to learn why you need XP. It's not XP at all as the issue but it sounds and I'm guessing here there is some USB HDD that you have a backup created by said software you need to access.

But that is not this discussion's topic so I'll not write more about possible cures to that issue.

Let's move to Virtual Box and how to give XP access to some USB thing directly. Let's find a tutorial on that since it may have the pictures.

" You
will want to set a USB filter and also enable USB for the virtual
machine. Under the settings of your virtual machine, go to the USB tab.
You will want to make sure the USB Controller is enabled first and
foremost. Then (while your usb device is plugged in) add a filter for
it, the process is fairly straightforward. "

Collapse -
u got 2 options..
by sk528 / May 25, 2011 7:14 AM PDT

1) install XP in a VM
2) go 7Pro and install MS XP-Mode - the easiest way

point 1 requires a fair bit expertise to set it up properly

Collapse -
(NT) I did point 1 during lunch. Hit the return key a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: u got 2 options..
Collapse -
Hit Enter a lot?
by sk528 / May 25, 2011 8:19 AM PDT

.. usually not a smart idea especially not in VB

Collapse -
Accepting the OK and moving on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Hit Enter a lot?

It would be nice for an install that didn't ask OK so much.

Collapse -
Adjusting Maxtor Manager settings in Virtual Box
by mostimport / May 25, 2011 8:26 AM PDT

When I try to set security on my external HDD, Maxtor Manager confirms that it made the changes I wanted, but I'm never prompted for a password when I connect the drive--not in Windows 7 and not even in Virtual Box. So this would be the reason why I cannot use Virtual Box.

If I must part with Windows 7 in order to revert to Windows XP as my only OS, I would consider it. But there are people who have both. Why can't I be one of them? Thanks for any assistance provided.

Collapse -
Why you might not have that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 8:37 AM PDT

I read you have a XP CD so that's part one.
But I think you have some pre-installed Windows 7 so that's not enough. For the REAL DUAL BOOT we need the full retail Windows 7 DVD. Figure about 199 bucks for that.

So armed with the right OSes two more things have to happen. You need the install procedure for both OSes from this CQ60 from HP. Here's the example discussion with HP:

Hope this clears that up.

Collapse -
Largely, it clears that up
by mostimport / May 25, 2011 8:55 AM PDT

So, I'm not buying a Windows 7 DVD when it's already on my PC. To me, that would be almost as stupid as upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate in order to use Windows XP mode--but not quite. (I know you are not suggesting that I buy it. I'm just reflecting on the fact of the matter which is that I must buy it if I want to have a dual-OS PC.) Therefore, you are saying I cannot have both OSes on my laptop. I can accept that.

Therefore, I must downgrade. I'll try to figure out how to eliminate Win 7 and replace with XP another time, I guess. Thanks very much for your help. It was an adventure installing Virtual Box and good to see my Windows XP CD actually install in Virtual Box since Win 7 was rejecting it.

Collapse -
About "buying"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 9:01 AM PDT

The version on this laptop is an OEM LICENSED version and does not have the full rights and features of the full retail package.

This confuses many at first.

Collapse -
Success, Actually !!
by mostimport / May 25, 2011 9:24 AM PDT

Somehow or another, after rebooting my machine again and plugging the drive into a different USB port, the changes to the drive made in Virtual Box do stick in Windows 7! I will have to follow this further to see if it holds up.

The key for me was first right clicking on Computer in the Start menu > Manage > Disk Management > right clicking on the C: Drive > and Shrinking the Volume by 5GB (i.e. 5000 MB) > and then here's the clincher: Not making a partition out of it but leaving it "unallocated". When I was installing Windows XP in Virtual Box, this 5 GB of unallocated space was the only "drive" it found to offer me as an option to install XP on. It did not see the C:\ drive or my b:\ partition that I had made at first. It wanted to format this space itself. Letting XP make its own partition during setup was the key, but creating unallocated space (at least the 1.5 GB required by XP) first.

Collapse -
by sk528 / May 25, 2011 11:10 AM PDT

is required for XP-mode but I said that already Wink

Collapse -
by mostimport / May 25, 2011 11:41 AM PDT

Well, I spent a full 12 hours today working on this. The results are welcome. Thanks to R. Proffitt and sk528. I couldn't have done it without you.

The main drawback to using VirtualBox with USB drives is that VirtualBox just grabs the drive off being mounted on Windows 7 for itself when you manually choose the drive under Devices > USB Devices in VirtualBox. There is apparently no way to have VirtualBox automatically pick up the drive being plugged in; Windows 7 always gets it first, even when VirtualBox is the active window. Hence the designers' warning to be careful when using USB drives to avoid potential data loss. That's the risk I face as I go forward with this in faith. So far no data loss.

Herein there are two solutions in one:
1) I have Windows XP running on my Windows 7 PC. And
2) Maxtor Manager is performing security tasks on a Windows 7 64-bit PC.

Now it's time to finally eat.

Collapse -
And all this for what reason?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Summary

I guessed above but couldn't tell what was the reason for wanting to run XP.

Maybe there was some backup that needed to be accessed but that's not what this discussion lead off with.

Collapse -
MS own link on the topic
by Willy / May 26, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

I did a quick check on running XP in VM under Win 7 setup. Since, you quoted that your version of Win 7 is Home Premium, its not supposed to be supported. The actual Win 7 versions are provided by the link:

Collapse -
Just for clarity. Virtual Box (not MSFT!) works even on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2011 2:27 AM PDT

Windows 7 Basic. We had no issues to report there.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.