General discussion

Install Windows XP

by Ray_moe / May 10, 2009 3:57 AM PDT

Dell XPS 600 Plentiun D Dual core 3.0ghz 800fsb
250gb sata harddrive 80gb sata harddrive
1024 mb memory
7900 gs nvidia video card
Windows XP Home edition sp2 Oem disc

I completely lost Windows O/S for unknown reasons.
It was installed on 250 gb sata hard drive.
Upon trying to reinstall from Oem disc furnished with computer from Dell. I press f6 when asked about sata drive this allowed the install to continue.

This install did not complete as normal install in other words it did not ask for all the usual info that goes with an install.

This is a dual boot system with Ubuntu Hardy on the 80 gb harddrive.
Windows shows up as a selection in grub boot loader. When selected the screen quickly shows a 0x0000007b bsod then returns to grub.

Have searched google and Dell forum and found some suggestions. Slipstream sata drivers in windows XP was one of the papers found. The article is somewhat slim and confusing on how to accomplish this procedure.

All suggestions and help are urgently needed and will be appreciated.

Ray

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP installation
by Osprey4 / May 10, 2009 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Install Windows XP
Collapse -
XP installation
by Ray_moe / May 10, 2009 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: XP installation

Osprey4

Thanks for the reply.
I printed off that procedure first thing after I discovered the O/S was A_W_O_L. Ran that step by step with no success.

If you will remember I have a SATA hard drive system. It requires the use of F6 during the setup and loading of drives which are not on the OEM disc.

I am at a loss on how to slipstream these needed drives on to the OEM disc. Or what ever other procedure to use to install my window XP O/S.

Collapse -
XP installation
by Ray_moe / May 12, 2009 10:40 AM PDT

Dell forums

Two days now and I have not heard from these Dell folks.

Does not this problem belong to Dell

I am without a windows o/s

Collapse -
XP installation
by Ray_moe / May 14, 2009 12:38 AM PDT

Well this Dell Forum do not seem to be any better at answering questions than the original Dell Forum

I assumed we really had something going when this forum was formed.

My first posting and all I got was the standard B.S. reply

Rather disappointing

Collapse -
I'll say no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2009 12:49 AM PDT

Windows XP and how to install that is pretty well discussed and after a million posts about it you begin to understand it's not a Dell issue.

Maybe it's time to use an OS that will install without using F6 and some USB floppy drive or a BIOS change or such?

I know Windows 7 RC and Vista for instance fair much better on SATA setups. Microsoft left SATA very "undone" in XP. Dell didn't write this OS.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll says Yes to Dell
by phil66 / May 14, 2009 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll say no.

Bob
Thanks for the reply.

You will never convince me that Dell should not take responsibility for the Sata Windows XP problem.

1) They sold me the computer with the sata drive and recommended Windows XP
2) They charged me for the oem disc to reinstall the o/s. They never once mentioned that there was going to be a problem with installing because of the sata drives.
3) There reinstall procedure does not have a step by step to reinstall oem if computer has sata.
4) They knew sata drives were going to create a problem why did they recommend Windows and why did they sell us oem disc.
5) Digging up these old thoughts reminds me of a problem from day one with this particular computer.

Something cratered the o/s on the first day I had the computer. They said hard drive and changed it. The o/s would not install so they said motherboard. I said new tower or no sell. I would return and purchase else where's. They gave me a new tower.
I did not know sata was the problem but Dell should of know and made oem disc that would load sata drivers when reinstalling Windows XP.

My desktop is full of printed material about sata drivers and slipstreaming using nlite. I only wish I could find a step by step to accomplish reinstalling WindowsXp.

My question to you is can I install an ide hard drive on a 80 wire cable and cable select it with my cd rw . I have two addition slots for hard drives in this tower. Or can I format the 250 gb hard drive to fat32 and install oem operating system and them convert the fat32 to ntfs.

As for a new operating system I have better than M$ I have a wide variety of linux. I have learned to pick and choose the desktops that make me happy.

Collapse -
Dell folks
by Ray_moe / May 16, 2009 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll says Yes to Dell

Well it seem like none of the Dell folks are willing to answer and try to solve a problem which I think is their own.

This is my second Dell but may very well be my last if I cannot get help from Dell solving this problem.

Read this posting and prove me wrong and I will apologize.

Collapse -
Hi, Ray
by Osprey4 / May 16, 2009 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell folks

Sorry for not responding.

Let's back up. Please explain exactly what is or is not happening.

Obviously, reinstalling XP is done routinely, so there's a chance you have a hardware problem preventing a successful reinstallation.

Collapse -
You ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll says Yes to Dell

"My question to you is can I install an ide hard drive on a 80 wire cable and cable select it with my cd rw . I have two addition slots for hard drives in this tower. Or can I format the 250 gb hard drive to fat32 and install oem operating system and them convert the fat32 to ntfs.

As for a new operating system I have better than M$ I have a wide variety of linux. I have learned to pick and choose the desktops that make me happy."

I'm going to write no. If you could you would not have asked. Maybe you didn't mean to ask me if you could (can) do that. Maybe you are asking if someone, somewhere can do this. If that is the question then I think we can say yes.

As to FAT32 and 250GB drives there are so many reasons why this is a bad idea that I refuse to discuss it.

As to XP and 250GB IDE drives you do have an issue there. XP (notice you didn't reveal it was XP SP1 or XP SP2 or XP SP3?) does not support such a large drive.

Then we have the big old issue with XP, XP SP1 and installing to SATA. That's a mess.

Dell did NOT create that mess. Take that up with the OS's maker. I'm not defending Dell here but watching far too many that don't want to learn how to install Windows and Microsoft refusing to make amends is far too painful.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.