Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Install Windows 98SE or not?

by rje49 / October 27, 2012 10:18 AM PDT

I was given a Gateway Solo 5150 laptop with a "designed for Windows 95" sticker. It's a Pentium II, 4GB HD, and originally 32MB RAM. It showed a Windows 98 spash screen but wouldn't boot due to a missing/damaged VMM32.VXD file. Long story, but couldn't get it working, so I connected the HD to another computer via a USB adapter, deleted the second 2GB partition, formatted, and looked to start anew. I added a pair of 256MB memory sticks but BIOS only sees 64MB of each, plus the original onboard 32MB. No big deal?
I'm looking to get a Windows 98SE install disk. Question 1- does the Windows 98SE install process work like newer OSs, meaning boot from the CD and install? Question 2 - thinking about drivers, internet connection (only has a phone line port), etc., would I be better off installing Windows 2000? I have an adapter card for an ethernet line.
I can see this could be a big can-of-worms and I don't want to put much money into it. For instance, I have no intention of looking for a new battery, but I'd have to dig into it to replace the MB coin-cell battery. I'm obviously having second thought about this project. If I get going, I can envision many more questions coming up.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install Windows 98SE or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install Windows 98SE or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
From memory.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 3:42 AM PDT

Not all Windows 98se CDs were bootable. Back then you would use a DOS diskette and edit the usual config.sys to load the driver for the CD drive then MSCDEX in the autoexec.bat file.

But since all that is on the internet I don't duplicate that here.

What I find are folk that can't edit text files so for those folk maybe Linux would be a good choice to install and run on old gear as it does install without having to use the old ways.
Bob

Collapse -
98se CD is on the way
by rje49 / October 28, 2012 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: From memory.

I've been assured the CD is bootable. I'll be working on it later in the week.

Collapse -
Keep in mind most old machines didn't have CD boot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: 98se CD is on the way

That came much later. A W95 machine puts it in that time frame where it may need the old dos boot diskette.

Why not go old school on this and get it done with a floppy?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Install Windows 98SE or not? Not!
by AlexandreEmond / November 28, 2012 10:19 PM PST

That's funny.
You could better buy a 40$ used P4 with Windows XP preinstalled.
Or a 100$ P4-XP used laptop.
Or a 200$ new netbook with Windows 7 or 8.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.