Computer Help forum

General discussion

Install which drivers? Need SFAN1 to OC?

by slow235comp / December 15, 2012 7:42 AM PST

mobo and available drivers: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K8T-Neo-FSR--FIS2R.html
32-bit XP. 1.5G DDR400, 2.2ghz AMD Athlon 64 3400+.

I don't have driver CDs.
Already installed Realtek ALC Series AC97 Audio Driver.
I have one HDD and not adding more, so I guess nothing for RAID?

Realtek Gigabit Ethernet Drivers gives error 'The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug in the Cable'. I Can't get mobo's internet port to work, tried some fixes but nothing, will persue fixing if it's faster the SMC EZ Card 10/1000 PCI
(SMC1211TX) I have (get driver), just for internet from the router, no workgroup LAN or anything.

I want to OC. I got the PC used pre-built and switched out a broken PSU that had a small wire from the PSU to the mobo's SFAN1 port. The case has 1 fan (heatsink has the other fan which plugs into the mobo) and it's already getting power from the PSU through a coupling from the regular power jacks from the PSU (small white rectangle ones that also plug into HDD/CD drives, not the IDE ribbon-type), so I'm not sure if the SFAN1 power's needed to controll speeds etc, I'm fine with it runnign full-speed always if that's a workaround. So consider that for which fan drivers I need also.

BIOS drivers look to be overlapping, install which?

Scanned with Live 5 utility and don't want any suggestions.

thanks so much

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install which drivers? Need SFAN1 to OC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install which drivers? Need SFAN1 to OC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Small world. I have a similar machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 7:47 AM PST

The install takes about 1 day as I collect the drivers and install them in this order.

1. Motherboard chipset (not to be confused with chips like audio or lan on the motherboard.)
2. If my audio is HD, then the MSUAA from Microsoft (sorry but more detail is on google so I end here.)
3. Finally I can install the audio driver.
4. Now a video driver (Yeah, more pixels!)
5. Now the lan, wifi and the rest.

Oh and let Windows update do its thing for hours and hours.

Takes about a day.

What is a "BIOS driver"? Never found such a thing. A BIOS update? Sure.

What is this about not wanting any suggestions? Why did you post your question?
Bob

Collapse -
i meant BIOS updates, not drivers
by slow235comp / December 15, 2012 9:24 AM PST

It says if not installing BIOS updates through live update (it didn't even find them though), then to use the flash utility. Flashing the BIOS looks like a PITA, do I really need thoes BIOS updates?
..Not wanting suggestions= I just meant the utilities I consider obsolete that Live 5 founds like Fast Boot (save a few seconds booting), Fast Charge (charge USB devices faster), Google Chrome (might switch from IE one day though), Video Genie (makes things brighter, I hate bright, keep brightness and contrast at 0 unless video game or Google Earth), etc.

I didn't install in your order, though. From start to now, I upgraded SP2>SP3, windows updates, then audio driver cause no audio w/out it, and that's all I did thus far.

How about the SFAN1 port on the mobo not getting power from the PSU, will that affect anything like OCing?

Collapse -
re
by slow235comp / December 15, 2012 12:37 PM PST

elsewhere said not to worry about the SFAN1, that it mighta been to monitor the PSU fan.
Also said activate features in BIOS b4 installing those updates?

Collapse -
driver files confusion
by slow235comp / December 15, 2012 1:29 PM PST
In reply to: re
Collapse -
file confusion
by slow235comp / December 15, 2012 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: driver files confusion

not sure what to do with all the files given when DL the 4in1 chipset driver from link in Op either. Alwasy just double click the setup file??

Collapse -
It's one of the legacy issues with XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 2:49 PM PST
In reply to: file confusion

The system builder was supposed to write an install procedure. Most didn't so you only find guides. I own a similar machine and shared the rough guide of installing XP on that one. It's close enough as a guide but specifics have to either be obtained from the makers or just guessed and tried.

Bob

Collapse -
next format, I'll instal drivers in order according to
by slow235comp / December 15, 2012 5:23 PM PST

Neweggs youtube building tutorial before updating windows, might make things a bit stabler and faster. Out of all the random files I get per driver download, just double click the SETUP one then delete everything after it installs?

Collapse -
That's English for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 2:34 AM PST

If you run setup and delete after it installs then how would you repeat the install later? Maybe this is why you don't have the drivers? You delete them after you use them rather and collect the ones you need for later?
Bob

Collapse -
re
by slow235comp / December 16, 2012 8:47 AM PST

because they are online, so why would I want to be cluttered with driver files/CDs? I also threw out the manual because a .pdf is free online, it's better too. I will however save a .txt file with details of how to install the drivers, the order, and which files from the .zips I need, etc.
IOW, Setup files should be all I need, no finding .dll or whatever files through device manager and updating driver through that? Once I get my New PC build, hopefully all drivers are simple one .exe file each:)

Collapse -
As I read above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: re

I see why folk struggle so much. They don't prepare for when they need their drivers that worked before. They go get it from the web and the versions can change.

Maybe you can read what this person says about that cloud.

-> http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57486930-71/woz-the-cloud-is-a-nightmare/

So here we are how many posts and you are just beginning to see the problem.
Bob

Collapse -
what you are talking about?
by slow235comp / December 16, 2012 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: As I read above.

'..sandly it's fear that can't be helped' is what you told me about not worrying to turn off Norton before, kind of contradictoryly pertains to that cloud article.
I doubt cloud companies are going to get away with ruining drivers stored by big corporations if they chose to not allow downloads from their own servers.
To answer your question, this is only 2 posts after you suggested saving driver files in case the new updated ones are from a cloud server that's been ruined. Let alone anything to help me with actually installing which files. You're right, I'll google a bunch. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
I'm writing about how you deal with drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 12:15 PM PST

It has a flaw in that you can never be sure you are getting the drivers that you found to work. It's your choice but by deleting the driver you found to work and not collecting them for later you set yourself up for a discussion about how to install Windows and Drivers.

I had hoped a little word about relying on the net for files from a rather famous person would help.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.