Linux

Question

Install Problems

by Tiger6_5 / April 18, 2013 1:02 AM PDT

Have tried installing both Umbutu and mint. Both download and iso are made , Disk Integrety is checked and OK but Than Installs fail. Have Used both Torrent and Mirror downloads. DVD-R and DVD-RW. Lowest Burn speed. Nothing works. any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What errors & where?
by wpgwpg / April 18, 2013 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Install Problems

Are you having problems burning the ISO to disc, reading the disc, booting the disc, or installing from the disc? Please post the exact error message you're getting. I'm afraid my dog broke my crystal ball.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
A recent discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

Ended when the owner found out the computer's CPU was overheating. This does not mean that's your issue but they could not run Windows or Linux and that was the clue the machine had issues.
Tell more,
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Where are you trying to install these distro's
by itsdigger / April 18, 2013 7:09 AM PDT

on your HDD running alongside Windows or on your HDD using the Whole HDD or on an external drive or where are you trying to install them?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
You checked disc
by Ray_moe / April 18, 2013 10:56 AM PDT

but did you md5sum the iso to assure you have a good download.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Follow-up
by Tiger6_5 / April 19, 2013 8:34 AM PDT

Checked md5sum OK. On hard drive, separate partition was what I wanted never got that far. Trying to install on boot but no options ever came up, just went straight to desktop. When I tried to in stall from there , just got 2 or 3 steps than got the following error " No Root File System Defined. Please correct. How? where?" Tried again today same thing. No problem with either Torrent or Mirror download or burning DVD. Used both DVD-R, and DVD. Both Linux Mint- Cinnamon 14.1 and Ubuntu 12.10. Getting frustrating. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
I had difficulties with that too
by itsdigger / April 19, 2013 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Follow-up

on other distro's not Ubuntu though. I believe it's asking you to designate the partition . I didn't like Ubuntu though and got rid of it cause it was so Buggy. Have you ever looked at Zorin , that's what I use all the time now. It installs very easily and let's you choose the size of partition. Maybe give it a look. Here's a Youtube Review Link>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CdDH57ykSA I really Like this one.Hope this helps...Digger

Collapse -
Answer
by 3rdalbum / April 19, 2013 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Follow-up

"No root file system defined" means that you haven't, you know, told Ubuntu which partition to use.

The way you do it it this. In the Something Else partitioning screen, select the partition you want to install the root file system of Ubuntu to. Click Edit Partition.

In the Mountpoint popup menu, choose /

Click Ok and then Next and it will install.

Collapse -
Where?
by Tiger6_5 / April 20, 2013 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer

Have never seen or found "Something Else partitioning screen", where do I find it and how do I get there.

Richard

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Collapse -
when you first click on install
by itsdigger / April 20, 2013 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Where?

you have three choices 1) Run Alongside Windows , 2) Use The Whole Hard Drive and 3) Something Else..Hope this helps ..Digger

Collapse -
It's been awhilw since I ran Ubuntu
by itsdigger / April 20, 2013 2:13 AM PDT

but if you choose to Run Alongside Windows , isn't there a slider there to let you choose how large of a partition you would like to give Ubuntu ?....Digger

Collapse -
Missing don't see any of the three chocies or slider
by Tiger6_5 / April 20, 2013 7:55 AM PDT

Thanks but subject tells it all.

Richard

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Collapse -
Man That's Just Weird !
by itsdigger / April 20, 2013 10:08 AM PDT

Are using a DVI or HDMI cable, If your using HDMI, try a DVI .

Collapse -
Boot the Live CD or DVD
by James Denison / May 4, 2013 9:00 AM PDT

Open the gparted program. Find the drive, will be hda, hdb, sba, or sbd most likely. Find the partition on that drive you installed to. clk to change and choose the mount point of /. You might also flag it as "boot". If the drive won't give you a choice on boot then, just offering windows, you have two choices. Mess around with Grub2, or see if windows will add it to the boot loader. What's worked in past for me is to put in the windows system CD, choose the Repair, when the C prompt appears run the FIXMBR and then the FIXBOOT and afterwards have a boot option for windows or linux. That was on XP, don't know if it works the same on Vista or later.

Collapse -
No root file system defined
by 3rdalbum / April 20, 2013 4:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Where?

"Trying to install on boot but no options ever came up, just went straight to desktop. When I tried to in stall from there , just got 2 or 3 steps than got the following error " No Root File System Defined. Please correct."

The error message you got is what appears when you use the "Something Else" screen in the installer, but don't set the "/" mountpoint for any partition. If you remember the part of the installer you were using when you got that error message, then that's the screen I'm referring to.

Collapse -
Answer
Issue Solved
by Tiger6_5 / April 21, 2013 12:43 AM PDT

Re-downloaded Linux Mint/Cinnamon by torrent, burned using Win 8 native burner, at slowest speed, FORMATTED a 100 gig Partition, and presto, installed. So far not bad but I intend to check out other flavors. Thanks for the help

Richard

Collapse -
Answer
RAM check
by 3rdalbum / May 4, 2013 2:50 PM PDT

Firstly, you need to tell us what you mean by "installs fail". At what point? What error messages are given? What options are you choosing?

I've only once observed the installer to fail repeatedly, and that was due to some bad RAM. I discovered this by removing one RAM stick and trying the installer, and when that didn't work I put it back in and removed the other stick. The install worked and the computer has been rock-solid ever since.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.