PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Install new primary harddrive

by bigdavetru / April 9, 2009 11:34 AM PDT

OS - Vista Home Premium
Bios - Phoenix Award ver 6...
Mobo supports Serial ATA : Four SATA connectors:
Supports 1 SATA-150 or SATA-300 disk drive on each SATA connector
Speed up to 1.5Gb/sec or 3.0Gb/sec, complying with SATA 1.0 and SATA 2.0 specifications

I just bought a Western Digital 1TB hd. I currently have a 300gb hd as primary (C:). I want to install the 1tb and make it primary ( C:), and have the 300gb as (D:).

Can anyone list some steps on how to do this? I've already done a complete image backup to an xtnrl hd ( using Acronis ).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install new primary harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install new primary harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As you have Acronis
by anmor / April 9, 2009 4:27 PM PDT

why not use it to transfer the contents to the new drive.
Install your new drive and use Acronis to set it up.
Open the Acronis disk managment tools to transfer the disk partition to the new drive.
Use clone mode MANUALLY this allows you to adjust the size of the destination partition.

Collapse -
New primary drive
by bigdavetru / April 9, 2009 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: As you have Acronis

>>"why not use it to transfer the contents to the new drive."

Because I didn't know Acronis could do that! Thanks for the tip. Time to open up the Acronis True Image 11 manual.

Does it matter what Sata connection I use. Do I have to inform the bios that I want the new drive to be primary, or do I do this later?

Collapse -
No
by anmor / April 10, 2009 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: New primary drive

Just connect it and let Acronis do it's job. SATA drive order can be changed in bios if needed, but this shouldn't be needed.
Make sure you choose MANUAL mode for cloning, so you can use the full 1tb (single or multiple partitions your choice) otherwise you may finish up with a cloned drive that is the same size as the original, which is NOT what you want.

Collapse -
Slight problem
by bigdavetru / April 10, 2009 8:07 PM PDT
In reply to: No

I installed my new 1tb hd and the bios recognized it. I used Acronis 11 to clone the old c: hd and it cloned it my new 1tb hd ( f: ). But Acronis didn't change the drive letters. I need my new 1tb hd to be c:. I tried a couple of things - I used disk management to make it active. I even took out the old hd and left the new hd as the only one installed. Vista still labels it f:. I think I screwed up when I ran Acronis clone program from an emergency boot disc. Any ideas on how to change the drive letter from f: to c:? Disk management won't run when there is no c: drive.

Collapse -
Clone it again Sam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2009 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Slight problem

But this time do NOT boot up your prior Windows to look around or the drive letters will change. Here's the steps I use. DO NOT BOOT WINDOWS UNTIL THE DRIVE CONNECTION IS MOVED.

1. Boot my clone CD (I use G4U, but Acronis will do)
2. Clone the drive.
3. Shutdown and connect the old C drive cable to the new to be C drive and boot up.

Should be fine at that point. If not the cloning is not working and you have a warranty issue with the clone software people.

As I use G4U I never have the chance to call Acronis.
Bob

Collapse -
Works fine now
by bigdavetru / April 11, 2009 5:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Clone it again Sam.

Ok, everything is working fine now. I got some help from the Acronis forum and here's some things to keep in mind:

1. I Installed the new hd where the old one was and move the old hd to a new place.
2. I booted up from my Acronis cd boot disc.
3. I cloned the drive.
4. I removed the old hd before rebooting the 1st time after cloning. Vista said it installed a device driver and I needed a reboot.
5. I installed the old hd and rebooted and everything seems OK.

Thanks for the help Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm glad it worked, thanks for posting back.
by anmor / April 12, 2009 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Works fine now
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.