Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Install HP Deskjet 722c printer to MacBook?

by ilovesantorini / June 9, 2007 3:41 PM PDT

I am a new Mac user. Just got a MacBook yesterday. How do I install a HP Deskjet 722c printer to my MacBook? I downloaded the driver pnm2ppa1.12.mpkg from the web, added the printer but couldn't get it to print. Could someone please help?

Thank you.
jenny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install HP Deskjet 722c printer to MacBook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install HP Deskjet 722c printer to MacBook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"If what you were looking for is not listed, then it is not
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2007 10:25 PM PDT

"
If what you were looking for is not listed, then it is not available for downloading from the web in this language.
"
From the HP web site. I'd try to find a printer that is supported.

Bob

Collapse -
There was a note about..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2007 10:27 PM PDT

Using the HP 550C driver but it's still unsupported.

Bob

Collapse -
Install HP Deskjet 722c printer to MacBook?
by HeartzX2 / June 11, 2007 5:01 AM PDT

Unfortunately there are several HP printers that Mac does not support...I have a 712c and that is one of them Sad

Collapse -
That's true but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 10:32 AM PDT

there are a lot of printer manufacturers that do not bother to produce drivers so that their printers can be supported.

Basically it is the manufacturers saying that they do not really care about their customers unless they are using an OS that suits them.
Is it really that difficult to create a printer driver?

P

Collapse -
Yes, it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: That's true but,

I've worked at such places. You can't work on such without a charge number or you don't get paid. Since the owners of the printers won't pay for drivers you have to drop writing drivers after so many years since there is no cash flow from the old models to fund the programmers.

Sorry if this seems to have some thinking it's about caring but it's simple economics.

Bob

Collapse -
No, it makes sense
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, it is.

However, they continue to produce drivers for other platforms and the same economics apply.

You even see brand new printers without full driver support.

P

Collapse -
It's getting worse.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2007 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: No, it makes sense

I'm unsure what you mean about full driver support but I suppose you mean that all printer capabilities are not exploited.

That's a fine lunchtime discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, kinda.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 12, 2007 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: It's getting worse.

It's annoying that some new printers, notably Multi-function ones, have extremely limited drivers. Some are usually limited to just the Printer and "possibly" the fax.

Oh well

P

Collapse -
Like those All-in-one printer/fax/scanner/espresso makers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2007 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, kinda.

Given my experiences I have "a printer."

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Me too!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 13, 2007 2:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
HP Deskjet 722c with MacBook - dia it work?
by nanphill / June 16, 2013 2:31 AM PDT

Hello Jenny - I am trying to give my old HP722c Deskjet printer to someone who has very little money and an oldish MacBook. Did you ever figure out if it's possible to connect your 722c to your Macbook? Hope you get this message and can remember back to 2007! Thanks,
Nancy

Collapse -
It's not.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 4, 2013 8:44 AM PDT

Go buy them a $30 printer from Walmart, or the like.
I'm sure they would appreciate it a lot more than an ancient cast off with now means of connecting it.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.