Computer Help forum

Question

Install a Win 98 Driver on Win 7

by ThelMightylThor / January 22, 2013 10:16 AM PST

Hey I am trying to install a windows 98 driver on my computer for the Avermedia DVD ezmaker USB 2.0 on my windows 7 computer. Because when I install the xp driver that came with it the driver under device manager has the little yellow symbol next to it meaning the driver is not properly installed. I found this page where somebody explained the windows 98 driver functions properly on windows 7.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-drivers-for-ezmaker-usb-20/eca64151-73c2-415b-a97f-f0d9d033b6f7?msgId=d01124c1-7f15-4006-bf5f-e023c23c988f

The only problem I am having is I have no idea how to install the 98 driver. the download just contains a folder with a bunch of different files but none of them being a setup or install file. please help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install a Win 98 Driver on Win 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install a Win 98 Driver on Win 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which model do you own?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 10:29 AM PST

I see Windows 7 drivers for some models and there are no less than 5 models so if you can be more specific maybe we can find the Windows 7 driver.

Collapse -
model
by ThelMightylThor / January 22, 2013 10:31 AM PST

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I really don't think a Win 98 driver is the answer
by wpgwpg / January 22, 2013 10:28 AM PST

Did your external DVD drive come with a driver? In most cases you can just connect these things to a Windows 7 PC and it'll find and load the proper driver. If you haven't already tried that, I'd delete the driver with the ! and reboot to see if Windows 7 won't find and load whatever driver it needs. If it doesn't, I'd go to the DVD drive's manufacturer's web site and download what I needed.

Good luck.

Collapse -
can not use plug and play
by ThelMightylThor / January 22, 2013 10:32 AM PST

When I just plug it in it tells me it cant install the driver automatically.

Collapse -
Did you try installing the XP driver in compat mode?
by wpgwpg / January 22, 2013 10:44 AM PST

From the link I see you have a 7 year old device, so getting a working driver is going to be a challenge. The manufacturer doesn't supply anything later than an XP driver. The first thing I'd try would be to install the XP driver in compatibility mode. To do that you right-click the install program for the driver and select the XP compatibility mode. If that doesn't work, you could always go to XP Mode. XP mode is free and can be used with the Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate versions only. If you have the Home Premium version, you can either use the any time upgrade or install virtualization and run your own copy of XP under that.
This gives you several options. Of course you could also go out and buy a Windows 7 compatible replacement too.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Do you know how I install the 98 driver on windows 7?
by ThelMightylThor / January 22, 2013 10:58 AM PST

Others have said the 98 driver works on windows 7 without problems. How do I install the driver? If you download the driver you will see that it is just a folder with a bunch of different files in it and no install file.

Collapse -
Why don't you ask those others you speak of?
by wpgwpg / January 22, 2013 11:04 AM PST

Why don't you ask those others you speak of? If they know how to do that, you should ask them. If you can't install an XP driver though, I find it very hard to believe you'd be able to install a Windows 98 one. The kernel and driver interfaces between 98 and 7 are just too very different.

Collapse -
Sorry for asking...
by ThelMightylThor / January 22, 2013 11:06 AM PST

The reason I did not ask them is because the post was close to 1 year old... I am not trying to post in a dead forum post and just hope to get an answer... once again sorry for asking

Collapse -
Answer
Assuming that you ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 22, 2013 12:26 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Check out...
by Willy / January 22, 2013 1:06 PM PST

If the device is found in the h/w manager section as you state it has a yellow flag. Then install the device when you use the "update driver" button, click on it and then make sure you can then direct it to your disc or source of drivers, rather they be Win98 or XP, etc.. It should find what it needs upon "highlighting" where you direct a source of proper drivers. However, I don't think any Win9x drivers are going to work, IMO. When it can't be found or allow itself to be driver updated, then you have an "orphan" device, its time to move on. But try anyways.

What you could do is use a newer int. DVD drive, swap it for the current DVD drive int. to that USB case. -OR- upon removing that old DVD drive what model# installed truly is, it maybe a Sony or Hitachi based, etc. DVD drive from its decal/sticker. You locate driver for that model# and hope ti works. If as you say, it works on Win7 with the post you found, then the instructions should be clear. From what i read it offers no real clue why it worked, though someone offered it did. If it does work regardless, then you have some conflict preventing it from fully installing, besides the driver issue, maybe USB based one or power. Use a rear USB port.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.