Dell forum

General discussion

Inspiron 1545 problems

by runzwithsizzors / April 25, 2009 10:34 AM PDT

I don't even know where to begin...

A few days ago I booted up my laptop and it would not boot up to the desktop. I was able to run diagnostic tests and repair programs and suddenly.... viola! I got to the desktop.

Now, it's like I only have 1 chance to select something and that's it! I can select "start", for instance, and then select "control panel" and it appears to be accessing it but it never goes to the control panel. Then I attempt to select a different program and again, it appears to be accessing it but it never goes there. Then it won't even pretend anymore. I can select internet explorer immediately after I boot up and it will pull up the internet and go to my homepage and won't let me choose anything after that or, it will allow me to go to one more page and then it will display "not responding" in the upper window border.

At various times I have tried to pull up the task manager to end the application but it won't work. All I can do at that point is hard boot and I know that's not especially good on the computer. I have tried to boot up with the last known good configuration and the same thing happens. I attempted to restore but it tells me restore is not available??? I have pictures that I don't want to lose or I would have already reinstalled windows.

I have run diagnostic tests from the "drivers and utilities" disk and prior to being able to boot to the desktop, I received an error message 2000-0142. Now, when I run that diagnostic test I receive the error message 2000-0146.

I just bought the laptop a couple of months ago. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Inspiron 1545, Model #PP41L

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inspiron 1545 problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inspiron 1545 problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mlg63 / April 25, 2009 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Inspiron 1545 problems

Since you are still under warranty, contact Dell Support. You could have a failing hard drive. If that's the case, Dell will send another. Ask them to install the operating system and all factory installed programs for you or they will send a blank drive. PS You should post your operating system when asking a question on the forum.

Collapse -
by runzwithsizzors / April 25, 2009 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi

I will contact Dell Support. Thanks for the reply.

s.p. initially i did post the operating system but not the model number. i must have deleted the os when i went back to add the model number... Happy

Thanks again!

Collapse -
O S not Germain.
by book-em / May 4, 2011 3:27 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

On this system it is probably NOT the HDD . More likely than not it would be an OS error.. Try taking the OS back to an earlier date,uninstall ALL new software,and run your security program and above all BE PACIENT, it took a couple months to mess it up(most will do it in hours or days) Might take a couple hours of reading your manual to repair it....I'd love to sell you a hard drive,but unless you dropped it and it bounced,i don't think that is your problem ...............

Collapse -
My dell just did the same thing.
by top6percent / July 28, 2011 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Inspiron 1545 problems

My dell 1545 with windows 7 just did the thing to me. How did you solve your problem? I have a lot of important work document saved on my hard drive so I hope its not my hhd. Any advice would help.

Collapse -
I can't tell which issue you have.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 4:21 AM PDT

But while you still can, copy what you can't lose to backups and consider DROPBOX for another online copy.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.