Dell forum

Question

inspiron 1545 charger board

by jjfw831 / November 28, 2012 3:44 AM PST

I am new. Dell was useless for a answer to my problem. I have inspiron 1545. My ac/dc charger (pa10) is find, the tip on the charger is round. The charger board power jack is broken and the jack is also round. Dell doesn't have the part,after 2 days. I found part on ebay and amazon, but with a octagon jack. I was told,my ac/dc charger tip would fit and work with the octagon charger board. I cannot locate a charger board with a round jack. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: inspiron 1545 charger board
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: inspiron 1545 charger board
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
"is find"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 3:55 AM PST

You are not in an user serviceable item here so all the issues of getting the right board or part is, well, how to put this? You are going to use all your usual sources to find spare parts and boards. Sometimes you'll have to modify parts or change to another charger to fix the client's products.

Google LAPTOP JACK REPAIR and you see an entire industry devoted to fixing that. I'd contact those folk about this.
Bob

Collapse -
Repairing myself, no problem
by jjfw831 / November 28, 2012 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: "is find"?

been looking for 2 days for the right board. I know another, but don't want to rig. Part is around 15.00, why spend 100.00 to a repair shop.

Collapse -
Then why not spend the 15?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 5:57 AM PST

Sounds like a bargain.

However I wonder if you are not using all the available tools. Once in awhile you encounter a tech that doesn't use the phone.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. I'd be guessing here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 6:04 AM PST

There are other than Dell outlets for parts. I'm guessing you may not have called it in. There are some parts that are part of a 100 buck board and your newer tech will burst into flames over wanting a connector when the OEM part is the full board. It seems to take a year or two as they learn the system.

It's a big world and parts in one country may be sparse to non-existent so use every contact. I no longer run repair shops but know the system pretty well. And the new techs.
Bob

Collapse -
You sound stupid.
by jjfw831 / November 28, 2012 12:21 PM PST

You should learn to talk normal. You should hear yourself. You sound GGGoofy.

Collapse -
I have to guess what you are doing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 1:17 PM PST
In reply to: You sound stupid.

Be clearer and I won't have to guess what you are doing and trying.

You sound like a newer tech. I've run repair shops for years and seen many new techs try to start out on their own and learn it all over.

You sound new.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I see we didn't discuss how things work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 9:41 PM PST

Companies like the maker of this laptop stock what are known as FRU's or field replacement units. A quick look at Dell Parts shows no piece part smaller than a full board. From what I read here you want a sub component of the FRU and this is where your newer tech tends to get upset with the makers.

To find this part you have to look everywhere. Here in the US I can look at digikey, ebay, amazon and more. I can't do this search for you since I don't have your part to get a match for.

Hope this explains why a new tech might have problems with Dell. At least until they learn what parts they can expect to find from them.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Post some pix
by Willy / December 3, 2012 9:13 PM PST

Why don't you post picture(images) of the items in question on a "free picture form", like Photobucket or similar. Sometimes non-OEM parts work though it may not seem like it or minor discrepancies really aren't a problem to a well heeled tech. besides a Dell parts sources, you may want to check out "electronics surplus" which offer components of various sorts to includes charger jacks.

http://www.alleletronics.com/

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
ooops
by Willy / December 4, 2012 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Post some pix
Collapse -
oooopy,oooopy
by jjfw831 / December 4, 2012 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: ooops

Done, fixed,repaired. No need for a over paid tech. My original question was simple, will a round tip off a charger,pa10,fit into a octagon jack on a dell inspiron 1545 laptop, very simple question,from a non tech. Well its fixed, no help from you worthless people who answer with their fancy language. No wonder you people are lonely and live on these sites. First time and last time for me.That goes for dell also,2 of their own techs giving me wrong answers,example,power or charger board is one with the mother board on the 1545, told him, Wrong,look at th online manual on dell,2 screws separates the 2. Between joe blow here and dell just confirms my feelings toward people who talk big and act like they know it all after 30 years,you're losers. Later.

Collapse -
Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 1:41 PM PST
In reply to: oooopy,oooopy

In an early reply I wrote "Sometimes you'll have to modify parts" and then you write this.

If you want help from folk in the forums, think about your replies. I'll try even when folk write such things.

-> In fact I can offer this. If you want, we can fix this so it never happened. Just drop me a note if you want.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.